Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of Common-Law - Personal References

Proof of Common-Law - Personal References

Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice
Default Proof of Common-Law - Personal References

Hi,

I'm about to ask 3 of our friends to write references confirming our relationship together and just want to know what I should ask them to include? I think the first thing they'll say is what should they put in it and I don't really have a clue. Is it just a case of them writing about us, how we met and how they know us?
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Proof of Common-Law - Personal References

Originally Posted by simonfiction
Hi,

I'm about to ask 3 of our friends to write references confirming our relationship together and just want to know what I should ask them to include? I think the first thing they'll say is what should they put in it and I don't really have a clue. Is it just a case of them writing about us, how we met and how they know us?

there is a form on the CIC for declaration of common law partnerships. you can take this to any civil solicitors and they will stamp the forms declaring your common law relationship. it costs £5 each (roughly). we also got bank statements from the last few years.
i have no clue what would go in the personal references as didnt see this option for the immigration!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

simonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nicesimonfiction is just really nice
Default Re: Proof of Common-Law - Personal References

I did see the statutory declaration in the application kit but got confused by the guide as it only mentioned this in the context of having a co-signer and proving your relationship with them, as opposed to it being used to prove your relationship with the principal applicant. I almost made the assumption we couldn't use it. Although I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere about it having to be stamped either.

Could you point me to where it's mentioned on the site?

Cheers!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Proof of Common-Law - Personal References

one of my friends who moved to Edmonton advised me of this.
you need to attend a civil solicitor (family law etc) who have the authority to declare type of things. you have to affirm this in front of them and cough up the £5 each and they sign and stamp!

we did this and it was done within 5 minutes!

im not sure where you are from, but can recommend a firm in Reading that does it!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Proof of Common-Law - Personal References

Thanks for the advice and the quick reply. I'm currently in Vancouver (although I'm also British). Any ideas how it works over here?