Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Processing Times for Citizenship Application

Processing Times for Citizenship Application

Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

jaccinthebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Processing Times for Citizenship Application

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
Awww... thanks! My situation is not quite as complicated as that, but I am tight on my dates, so I don't want to over-estimate too much. I had student and work visas before my PR started, but the year or so before I got my PR I was just on a visitor visa, so I don't think that counts for half time and I only got my PR three years ago this November coming.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:39 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My OH filled his forms in today - he's also sketchy about trips. In addition to holidays, funerals, scheduled trips to the UK, we've had umpteen weekends away, and we go shopping in the US several times a month. There's no way what he's put on his form is accurate but it's as close as he can remember, and to what's been stamped in his passport (very little, he's had rolling I94Ws even when we lived far from the border). He's over-estimated rather than underestimated but still... I expect he'll be called before a citizenship judge but he relishes the opportunity to state his case and point out the unreasonableness of a requirement for even daytrips to be logged.

Not sure that that helps you, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!
Not a good move, if he is called for an interview with a citizenship judge, yes sir yes sir three bags full. If he p****s off the judge, then is a resident questionaire, a delay of about a year, and it will be his probably to gather all the info to prove that he was in Canada for 1095 days in the previous 4 years.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I see what you're saying but I wouldn't be a Canadian citizen today ergo he wouldn't be here either if I hadn't pointed out unfair bits of the Citizenship Act to CIC - perhaps he feels compelled to do his bit to improve things too! He's in no rush, if he gets a judge and the judge doesn't like it, that's okay too.

No worries on proving 1095 days at all, he's got uni attendance records ( treating patients -non-dubious attendance I mean, not hiding at back of
lecture halls, maybe there/maybe not kind if thing!) and treatment records from days after uni, as well as the usual things like bank card use, etc. It's the popping over to US for a night out or a baseball match or some shopping he can't prove, or remember. And I don't really get why CIC insist on knowing it.

Did someone ask here recently if you can get a copy of your border activity from somewhere? That would help with dates as I assume every re-entry has been recorded. Is that worth getting? And from where?

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Not a good move, if he is called for an interview with a citizenship judge, yes sir yes sir three bags full. If he p****s off the judge, then is a resident questionaire, a delay of about a year, and it will be his probably to gather all the info to prove that he was in Canada for 1095 days in the previous 4 years.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Did someone ask here recently if you can get a copy of your border activity from somewhere? That would help with dates as I assume every re-entry has been recorded. Is that worth getting? And from where?
That's what I wold like to know - surely when they scan your passport or whatever, there must be some record of it electronically and surely under freedom of information we should have access to information about ourselves, shouldn't we? It would help so much if there was such a thing!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

CanadaGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for my citizenship from Victoria, BC in the end of April 2007, took the test on Dec 12, 2007 and had the Oath on Jan 29. So I guess all together it took me about 9 months.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CanadaGuy
I applied for my citizenship from Victoria, BC in the end of April 2007, took the test on Dec 12, 2007 and had the Oath on Jan 29. So I guess all together it took me about 9 months.
How did you manage to apply to Victoria? The citizenship application I have says to send it to Ottawa...??
Old Jul 8th 2008, 2:30 am
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jaccinthebox
How did you manage to apply to Victoria? The citizenship application I have says to send it to Ottawa...??
Isn't it Sydney, NS?

After some initial processing, your application is forwarded to the local office that serves the area where you live.

The local side of things can take more or less time depending on the local office in question and the volume of applications it has to deal with. If you can figure out which office you'll end up with, you might be able to get a better idea of processing times.

But... the 'good' timelines of a few months are routine cases that don't require a residency questionnaire or interview with a judge. If there are any questions about the amount of time you've really spent in the country, your application may take longer than is typical for your area while that's cleared up.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
Isn't it Sydney, NS?
Yes - you're right, it is Sydney. I have just applied for the kids British passports and that was to Ottawa, so I think I was getting them confused. Better not mess it up when I actually send the citizenship forms in!