Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Processing Times for Citizenship Application

Processing Times for Citizenship Application

Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:51 am
Just Joined

jaccinthebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Processing Times for Citizenship Application

Hi there,

I'm about to apply for citizenship. We live in BC, in Kelowna, been married 5 years, had PR for 3 and had student/work permits before that. I'm just wondering how long it generally takes to process the citizenship? The CIC website states 12-15 months, but we all know how accurate their timing is with PR's, so I am wondering if the situation with citizenship applications is similar to PR and it takes years, or is the 12-15 months pretty accurate?

Second question is: I have been back and forth to the UK a number of times but haven't kept track of the dates (didn't know I needed to). After getting my PR they didn't tend to stamp my passport, so I am sketchy on dates for when I have been out of the country. Does anyone have any advise about finding out the exact dates?
TIA!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processing Times for Citizenship Application

Originally Posted by jaccinthebox
Hi there,

I'm about to apply for citizenship. We live in BC, in Kelowna, been married 5 years, had PR for 3 and had student/work permits before that. I'm just wondering how long it generally takes to process the citizenship? The CIC website states 12-15 months, but we all know how accurate their timing is with PR's, so I am wondering if the situation with citizenship applications is similar to PR and it takes years, or is the 12-15 months pretty accurate?

TIA!
As far as processing time goes I applied at the end of October, did the test on May 2nd and took the oath on July 3rd. I was told in February when they acknowledged receipt of my application that it would take 12-15 months to process.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
As far as processing time goes I applied at the end of October, did the test on May 2nd and took the oath on July 3rd. I was told in February when they acknowledged receipt of my application that it would take 12-15 months to process.
Wow, thats good news... just looking at your status... can I assume that you got citizenship and are now returning to the UK? That is also our plan - but how did you book flights and arrange the move etc. without knowing when your citizenship would come through?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thats good news... just looking at your status... can I assume that you got citizenship and are now returning to the UK? That is also our plan - but how did you book flights and arrange the move etc. without knowing when your citizenship would come through?
It was all pure luck to be honest. I had the attitude that I would apply for Citizenship and if I got it before I was due to go home great and if not oh well my own fault for not applying sooner as I've been a PR since 2002.

Can I be nosey and ask why you are leaving? (In my case I have 2 small kids an OH who travels a lot for work and we never really felt like Canada was home, even though OH is Canadian).
Old Jul 6th 2008, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: Processing Times for Citizenship Application

My hubby is Canadian (and so, incidentally, are my kids as I didn't realize we could apply for British passports for them and they were too old - older than 12 months old - arrrggghhh!) Anyway, we were sticking in Canada while my husband finished his Carpentry apprenticeship and we wanted to be close to one set of grandparents and his were here. But then they moved 9 hours away so we're now not close to any family and my parents desperately miss the kids (their only grandkids). So we thought we'd go back to the UK for a few years so my family could be near the kids and my hubby and kids could get their UK citizenship so we'd all have dual and be able to settle wherever we want. It's lonely out here without family. Especially with kids... friends are wonderful but just not the same as family.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

My hubby is Canadian (and so, incidentally, are my kids as I didn't realize we could apply for British passports for them and they were too old - older than 12 months old - arrrggghhh!) Anyway, we were sticking in Canada while my husband finished his Carpentry apprenticeship and we wanted to be close to one set of grandparents and his were here. But then they moved 9 hours away so we're now not close to any family and my parents desperately miss the kids (their only grandkids). So we thought we'd go back to the UK for a few years so my family could be near the kids and my hubby and kids could get their UK citizenship so we'd all have dual and be able to settle wherever we want. It's lonely out here without family. Especially with kids... friends are wonderful but just not the same as family.
You can just get your kids British Passports it's really straight forward. My kids where both born here and have British and Canadian passports (it doesn't matter if they are older than 12 months). In fact you need to get them British Passport before you return.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know how lonely it can be without family my OH's mum is in Montreal so we have no family close by either.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

You can just get your kids British Passports it's really straight forward. My kids where both born here and have British and Canadian passports (it doesn't matter if they are older than 12 months). In fact you need to get them British Passport before you return.
Seriously? How do I do that? I looked on the UK govt website and they said you had to apply within 12 months of them being born. They said they'd grant citizenship in extreme circumstances if you could show that they would be in danger or something like that, or if you could prove that you'd received inaccurate advise from a solicitor, but not outside of those circumstances, so I thought we were out of luck. How do I do it then? Or do I just apply for their British passports with my UK identity stuff and hope for the best? You're a wealth of knowledge, by the way! Thank you!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seriously? How do I do that? I looked on the UK govt website and they said you had to apply within 12 months of them being born. They said they'd grant citizenship in extreme circumstances if you could show that they would be in danger or something like that, or if you could prove that you'd received inaccurate advise from a solicitor, but not outside of those circumstances, so I thought we were out of luck. How do I do it then? Or do I just apply for their British passports with my UK identity stuff and hope for the best? You're a wealth of knowledge, by the way! Thank you!
Glad I can help a little, I'm sure one of the experts such as JAJ can give you the full details but basically, assuming you are British Born you kids are considered British by Descent.

You just apply through the British High Commission in Ottawa. You send in the application form, their Canadian Birth Certificates, Canadian Passports (if they have them), your British Birth Certificate and the fee. I got my kids passports within 3 weeks.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Glad I can help a little, I'm sure one of the experts such as JAJ can give you the full details but basically, assuming you are British Born you kids are considered British by Descent.

You just apply through the British High Commission in Ottawa. You send in the application form, their Canadian Birth Certificates, Canadian Passports (if they have them), your British Birth Certificate and the fee. I got my kids passports within 3 weeks.
I could actually cry - that is such a huge relief - it will make it so much easier! I'm going to apply for those ASAP. Did you register your kids births at the consulate?
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

I could actually cry - that is such a huge relief - it will make it so much easier! I'm going to apply for those ASAP. Did you register your kids births at the consulate?
No need to register at the consulate from what I know that's only if you're in the USA.

Here's a link so you can get the forms ASAP

http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/

When I found this out (thank to BE) I was surprised at how straight forward the whole thing is.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

That is so, so, so, so, great!!! Thank you immensely! Have a wonderful move - I hope going "home" will be an awesome experience for you.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

That is so, so, so, so, great!!! Thank you immensely! Have a wonderful move - I hope going "home" will be an awesome experience for you.
Thanks I hope you get things sorted out and if you have anymore question just ask, there are so many helpful people on this site I would have been lost without it over the last while. Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Second question is: I have been back and forth to the UK a number of times but haven't kept track of the dates (didn't know I needed to). After getting my PR they didn't tend to stamp my passport, so I am sketchy on dates for when I have been out of the country. Does anyone have any advise about finding out the exact dates?
TIA!
My OH filled his forms in today - he's also sketchy about trips. In addition to holidays, funerals, scheduled trips to the UK, we've had umpteen weekends away, and we go shopping in the US several times a month. There's no way what he's put on his form is accurate but it's as close as he can remember, and to what's been stamped in his passport (very little, he's had rolling I94Ws even when we lived far from the border). He's over-estimated rather than underestimated but still... I expect he'll be called before a citizenship judge but he relishes the opportunity to state his case and point out the unreasonableness of a requirement for even daytrips to be logged.

Not sure that that helps you, just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.