British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Processing times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/processing-times-737503/)

verystormy Nov 1st 2011 7:58 am

Processing times

Hi All.

Myself and my wife are currently residents in Australia and are considering a move somewhere else for a change of life and Canada is a possibility.

However, we are a little unsure of the visa options. I have looked on the immigration web site and it is a little unclear. I am a geologist currently working in Africa and would intend to continue to do so travelling from Canada on a rotational basis so we do not require a right to work in Canada. So first question would be what might be the best visa for this?

Secondly, if this visa would take a protracted legnth of time to obtain, i believe there is a visa for someone who has a job offer in Canada. I would have no problem getting an offer (regularly get asked), any ideas on how long this type takes? I am assuming it is similar to the long term buisness visa that is used in Australia which takes about 4 weeks?

Moondoggy Nov 1st 2011 11:18 am

Re: Processing times

You have a couple of options if you have a job offer, to obtain a TWP (temporary work permit)... Firstly you could apply at your local Canadian embassy which should state how long a TWP takes to process. Or if you have all the right documentation (LMO, job offer, etc..) and there won't be any complications to you entering Canada normally, you can apply or your TWP as you land in Canada.

verystormy Nov 1st 2011 11:20 am

Thanks for that.

christmasoompa Nov 1st 2011 11:46 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 9707769)
I am a geologist currently working in Africa and would intend to continue to do so travelling from Canada on a rotational basis so we do not require a right to work in Canada. So first question would be what might be the best visa for this?

Whatever visa you get, would give you the right to work anyway - the only one that wouldn't is a visitor visa, but you cannot live in Canada on that (only visit, as the name implies), and it's only for up to six months. If you want to stay longer then you'll need either a work permit, or Permanent Residency, both of which would give you the right to work.

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 9707769)
Secondly, if this visa would take a protracted legnth of time to obtain, i believe there is a visa for someone who has a job offer in Canada. I would have no problem getting an offer (regularly get asked), any ideas on how long this type takes? I am assuming it is similar to the long term buisness visa that is used in Australia which takes about 4 weeks?

For a Temp Work Permit, figure about 3-6 months in total. First of all your employer must apply for the LMO, for which they have to prove that they have advertised the job across Canada and that they have not found a suitable Canadian candidate. Then once you've got that you need the TWP - you may be able to apply for this at POE as Moondoggy says, but note that it's not a given, it will depend on your citizenship. Assuming you a UKC, then you could though.

Alternatively, you could apply via a visa office which will take a few months.

HTH, if you need any other info then the Wiki is the best place to start - just follow the link in my signature.

scuudz Nov 1st 2011 12:52 pm

You could use the 'Come to Canada' wizard which gives you the best visa options of immigrating to Canada based on your specific situation. Here's the link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/english/index

verystormy Nov 1st 2011 12:58 pm

As i dont really want to work there if i can avoid it and we may only go for a year or so, is it possible to just get multiple tourist visas of 6 months each?

We would be fine to leave thr country briefly in between for a few weeks. Just want to experience living in Canada for a bit. If we find we love it, then could look at the immigration

christmasoompa Nov 1st 2011 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 9708248)
As i dont really want to work there if i can avoid it and we may only go for a year or so, is it possible to just get multiple tourist visas of 6 months each?

We would be fine to leave thr country briefly in between for a few weeks. Just want to experience living in Canada for a bit. If we find we love it, then could look at the immigration

How old are you both, is a Working Holiday Visa an option? If not, then I personally wouldn't do it. You are given up to six months entry on a visitor visa (note it's 'up to', so you may be given less), and you can apply to renew it but of course it's not automatic. Add in things like the hassle with no being eligible for healthcare etc, and tbh I just can't see the point.

Your call though, I guess it's whether you're prepared to take the risk and be prepared to leave Canada after only a few months if necessary. Assuming you are UKC's, if you just fancy living somewhere else for a year or two, then why not look at countries in Europe where you'd have no visa hassles and be eligible for healthcare etc?

verystormy Nov 2nd 2011 4:57 am

Tooold for working holiday visa - 41. Healthcare isnt an issue as company provide where ever in the world we live. Likewise moving costs.

Only issue is if we can get at least 2 six month visas