Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Processing times: '5 years' vs. CIC times

Wikiposts

Processing times: '5 years' vs. CIC times

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice
Default Processing times: '5 years' vs. CIC times

Why do so many posts talk of processing times for PR applications being 5 years+, when the CIC site (here) says that 80% of cases processed in London are finalized in 38 months?

I appreciate that the times they give are based on past performance, but I'd be interested to know where the '5 years' comes from.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 1:01 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Processing times: '5 years' vs. CIC times

It comes from latest (since over a year now) AOR letters with file numbers mailed to applicants and stating that next stage (request for full application package with all standard forms and supporting documents will come in about 49 months and asking not to contact visa post until such period of time passes. Add to it 4 months given for submission and another 4 to 6 months for assessment and rest of processing and you'll easy exceed 5 years.

If you would have read carefully posts reporting AOR letters from London and gazillion posts dealing with processing time for cases without arranged employment and similar posts to yours (about one a week) you will know the answer.

And you'll also know that with current priorities given to applications with arranged employment and about 30% reduction of visas available to skilled workers cases those without such arranged employment may not get into assessment stage for a decade or longer, if ever.

And if you read the sticky above about coming amendments to immigration law you would also know that applications submitted on/after February 2008 without arranged employment and without occupation in high demand will likely not be processed at all.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Apr 3rd 2008 at 1:04 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:23 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
...... applications submitted on/after February 2008 without arranged employment and without occupation in high demand will likely not be processed at all.
if this turns out to be true (which it may) ................interesting to find out at what point in the next few decades they will tell those of us in this situation that it will not be processed.............or will the attraction of keeping hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Cost Recovery Fees earning interest be too tempting........
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:40 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I've raised this point with our immigration consultant, arguing that I'm thinking our withdrawing our SW application, as we dont feel we'll ever be processed. They're claiming that we're looking at 3 years tops, but I just dont see where they're getting this from.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

screene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nicescreene is just really nice

Originally Posted by jericho
I've raised this point with our immigration consultant, arguing that I'm thinking our withdrawing our SW application, as we dont feel we'll ever be processed. They're claiming that we're looking at 3 years tops, but I just dont see where they're getting this from.
What did your AOR letter say? Mine says 42-48 months, but when I got it I didn't realize that this means that it simply gets held for that period of time and nothing happens. It also says to check the CIC website for 'up-to-date information on processing times' yet it looks as though this information lags that which can be obtained here.

I'm starting to wonder if I've wasted my money retaining a firm of immigration lawyers if my application will never get processed. Like you, I'm thinking it might be time to consider alternative routes, but I guess the next line of enquiry is to establish whether there is any disadvantage in leaving the SW application in place in the mean time (apart from keeping the money tied up).
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:49 am

Your lawyers are worthless if they didn't explain to you the process and reality of simplified application as well if they didn't push you to look for job. I for example don't accept cases in SW class if client doesn't want to start job search process, except cases filed through Buffalo and visa posts where processing time is about 15 months or less.

Some in large inventory of simplified applications without arranged employment may get lucky if and when amendments to the law pass and if their occupation is under pressure in Canada - their cases may be bumped up and processed fast. But one could wonder - why they are not yet working in Canada if their occupation is in demand?

Everyone who filed simplified application before Feb 27 2008, got AOR letter stating 24 or more months till assessment stage and doesn't have occupation in high demand should either do everything possible to find the job in Canada or brace him/herself for years and years of delays.

If amendments pass then all who filed simplified SW PR application on/after Feb 27 2008 and don't have occupation in demand should consider getting their money back by withdrawing application - unless they find arranged employment fast.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Apr 3rd 2008 at 11:51 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew thanks for your very useful comments and the pointers to other information on this forum.

For me, and I'm sure countless others, one of the problems in all of this is that while I want to bring my family to Canada, timing is everything because of my domestic circumstances (it has to be the right time for all of us). Ideally, I'd like to migrate in 2011, because it would suit our circumstances, but the lack of clarity in terms of the process makes forward planning almost impossible.

I completely understand what you say elsewhere about the point of the system being to best serve the needs of the Canadian economy, and not the needs of the migrant.

However, I would have thought that Canada would want incomers to be able to settle successfully, and that success would be more likely if prospective migrants could properly plan for their long-term future.

I'll await developments with interest.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Topic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Andrew,

You mentioned that propective immigrants should try and get work. The issue is that most employers are relunctant to do this or do not understand the process. They are not prepared to wait and incure the costs involved.

In my particular case, we applied in March 07 and got our AOR dated July 07. We are now considering that my partner should apply for a study permit with me getting the Open work permit. That way, we will be in Canada and then update our PR with the AEO from an employer. I have been speaking with a prospective employer who will be happy to consider me for a job provided I can get a work permit. Will this route work?

Thanks,
Topic
Old Apr 18th 2008, 10:20 pm

Answered already in the other thread.

It is not AEO what you will need if already working in Canada on valid work permit.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

LynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the roughLynseySmith is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by screene
Why do so many posts talk of processing times for PR applications being 5 years+, when the CIC site (here) says that 80% of cases processed in London are finalized in 38 months?

I appreciate that the times they give are based on past performance, but I'd be interested to know where the '5 years' comes from.
We're 18 months down the SW line & trying to keep positive - it can be really disheartening reading some of the '5yr posts' - but, looking at people's SW timelines/experiences, London do seem to be processing in general at the mo' in around 3yrs, which equates with their published stats (e.g read lin & stefs thread). It's not worth withdrawing the application before trying other routes, try to accelerate it by starting the job search for a TWP...you never know!