Processing time IEC

Old May 3rd 2011, 6:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Processing time IEC

Originally Posted by Gazareth
£2k gone within a couple of weeks? I think we have very different lifestyles. Two thousand pounds is about 3100 CAD. And 2k gone instantly if I need to buy a flight? A bit of an overestimate given that I paid £320 for a flight out. And why would flights cost more when buying them in Canada? I dont think the company I bought my flight out with discriminates based on IP address. £2k is what the IEC demands you have in your bank account. In the UK £2k would last me around 3-4 months. Given that I'm taking a tent with me and its going to be summertime I think 2k could last quite a while.

How about some help rather than just trying to scare the crap out of me.
Only just seen this, but as the others have pointed out above, I was trying to help! You may not find work straight away, and there are all sorts of costs that you need to account for when getting set up - just rent (usually have to pay at least two months as a deposit, plus the first month) could easily swallow that £2k. Plus don't forget expenses that you won't be used to as they are free in the UK (i.e. bank account charges, charges for receiving calls on cell phones, deposits for utilities such as electricity/gas etc).

As for flights, they are a hell of a lot more expensive if you buy them in Canada, just because taxes are so much higher on them. A quick search of the forum will find other threads on the subject for your info.
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

chriscanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Processing time IEC

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Only just seen this, but as the others have pointed out above, I was trying to help! You may not find work straight away, and there are all sorts of costs that you need to account for when getting set up - just rent (usually have to pay at least two months as a deposit, plus the first month) could easily swallow that £2k. Plus don't forget expenses that you won't be used to as they are free in the UK (i.e. bank account charges, charges for receiving calls on cell phones, deposits for utilities such as electricity/gas etc).

As for flights, they are a hell of a lot more expensive if you buy them in Canada, just because taxes are so much higher on them. A quick search of the forum will find other threads on the subject for your info.
As long as you dont intend to holiday and find work within 3 months I think you will be ok.

I probably spend around 3k$ every month and a half (rent / food / eating out / entertainment), and im not a partier.

Back when I came over it was 2$ for every 1 pound, good times.

Last edited by chriscanada; May 3rd 2011 at 7:10 am.