process questions

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default process questions

This is purely so i dont get any surprise's, i'm coming to canada on a spousal visa, she has been approved and we are just waiting on my side of things to come through, as far as i know mine is been processed in london, what will happen now? is there any chance i'll be called up for a interview? if so can it be done in Canada because i'm here on a holiday visa. thanks for your time, also if anyone is in my exact situation could they post up a time line of their full app just so i know what to expect cheers
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:31 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: process questions

Now your PR application will be processed in London - several tasks will be performed:

- determination if your relationship with the sponsor is a bona fide one or just relationship of convenience for the purpose of immigration

- background, criminal and security checks will be conducted.

If all checks out and your medicals are also OK then you will be asked to forward passport to CHC London for visa insertion.

If anything remains unclear, raises doubts or contradicts each other then you will be asked to attend the interview. Interview can only be held in visa post processing PR application, which in your case is CHC London.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you would my wife need to attend the interview?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 1:53 pm

Nope. Only sponsored person needs to attend interview if one is requested.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:05 pm

canconfused is an unknown quantity at this point

at the point the principal applicant is required to send the passport into london what is the minimum time needed before the passport expires?

when the principal applicant gets a new passport, if the permanent residence was put in his old one, is he required to obtain one for his new passport?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:22 pm

PR visa is a one use permit only - once you land and use it it is no longer valid. To re-enter Canada as a PR after landing you'll need PR card or Travel Document.

PR visa will be valid for 12 months from medicals or until expiration of passport, whatever comes first.

Better have passport valid for at least 12 months or get new one before you are asked for submission.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:06 am
Just Joined

Matt190280 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just been through the process myself and wanted to mention something that came as a surprise to us.

The CHC in London only accepts passports for Visa insertion for one hour a week. They take them on Thursdays between 2pm and 3pm. It is then TEN business days or TWO weeks real time before you can then pick your passport up again at the same time on Thursdays between 2pm and 3pm. You may do this by mail but it will then take 30 business days or six weeks real time.

Just a heads up, wanted you to know that whether or not you are called for interview, you will be in for a two week stay in the UK while they process your passport.

I was fortunate and never had to attend an interview but I filed the forms in August and the called for my passport in May. While I was in London talking to others in similar situations I met someone who filed in Feb so there really isn't an easy way to guess how long it will take.

My advice is to sit tight and not get too frustrated with the whole process.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

I sent mine through the post from within the UK, and it took 17 working days, or 3.5 weeks. The 6 weeks quoted is a predicted maximum, and looking around it seems that 2.5-4 weeks is more normal, although it would presumably take slightly longer to get to you in Canada.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Matt190280 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Dan,

I opted to go in person as I need my passport to work and need it back ASAP. Going back to London this week to pick it up. I was basing the 6 weeks on what the letter told me. Have you landed yet? If so, are there any surprises when doing that?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I mailed my passport to CHC London from within the UK and got it back with visa in just over 2 weeks after posting it off, it proved as quick as going down to London twice in person!