Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Problems receiving a job offer... help!!

Problems receiving a job offer... help!!

Old Oct 13th 2009, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Fruititoots is on a distinguished road
Default Problems receiving a job offer... help!!

Hello All,

Ok, where do I start? A newbie here.

I am beyond desperate to relocate to Vancouver after a year in Canada last year.

Is there anyone with networks or connections to the Travel and Tourism Industry who may know a hotel chain/company (large or small) that would be willing to hire a foreign worker.

Without boring you with too much detail, I basically would like to go to Vancouver to work and then apply for the Provincial Nominee Program - but the catch 22 (and there always is) is that employers are unwilling to offer me a job because I do not have a work permit and I am unable to get a work permit as I do not have a job offer!

What’s a girl to do?? Any advice would be much appreciated.

PS – I am currently working as receptionist in a hotel in London, UK.

Thanks.

Toots
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems receiving a job offer... help!!

Originally Posted by Fruititoots
Hello All,

Ok, where do I start? A newbie here.

I am beyond desperate to relocate to Vancouver after a year in Canada last year.

Is there anyone with networks or connections to the Travel and Tourism Industry who may know a hotel chain/company (large or small) that would be willing to hire a foreign worker.

Without boring you with too much detail, I basically would like to go to Vancouver to work and then apply for the Provincial Nominee Program - but the catch 22 (and there always is) is that employers are unwilling to offer me a job because I do not have a work permit and I am unable to get a work permit as I do not have a job offer!

What’s a girl to do?? Any advice would be much appreciated.

PS – I am currently working as receptionist in a hotel in London, UK.

Thanks.

Toots

Hi Toots and welcome to the forum,

What visa were you there on when you spent your year in Canada, was it Bunac? If so, what job did you do whilst there? Any reason why you didn't apply as a FSW after your year there, do you not have enough points?

As for job hunting, have you read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki? Loads of good info in there.............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Fruititoots is on a distinguished road

Hi, thanks for reaching out.

Yes, it was BUNAC - re. the FSW, I thought you needed to have a job offer?? But also, I had a FT permenanat job but it received a negative LMO. So I had to leave – that was Aug 08.

I was working in Admin, so too low skilled, hence they refused the LMO. I used to be a PA but changed in order to pursue the PNP in Vancouver….

…..and I’m checking out the wiki site as you read………………

Much appreciated.

Toots
Old Oct 14th 2009, 12:15 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is tourism is not booming and there is a lot of unemployment right now. The Olympics are around in Feb, but most of the hiring, if not all is done for that. Getting a WP is not going to be easy in the current climate.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fruititoots
Yes, it was BUNAC - re. the FSW, I thought you needed to have a job offer??
No, you can apply as a FSW if you have worked legally in Canada for a year. From the CIC website..............

According to the eligibility criteria, your application is eligible for processing if:

you have an offer of arranged employment, OR
you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student, OR
you are a skilled worker who has at least one year of experience in one or more of the occupations listed here.

I have no idea how quickly after that year ends you have to apply, but it may be worth researching asap as you never know, you may still be eligible! Alternatively, would your previous employer consider having you back and applying for an AEO for you? So that you could apply under the arranged employment option? You don't need a LMO, just the AEO, for that. Your job would have to be classed as a Skilled Worker of course, so not sure if your previous job would qualify, but maybe your previous employer could give you a job offer as a PA or similar instead?

And of course, for either of the above options you'd need the minimum points, to pass the medical, etc.

Hope that helps a bit, best of luck.