British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Problems getting work permit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/problems-getting-work-permit-439439/)

Truespark Apr 2nd 2007 8:29 pm

Problems getting work permit

We sent off our work permits on 14/2, a month later we emailed them to ask how much longer they would take. We received an email saying that they had started processing them on the 21/2. One month later we received a letter acknowledging the receipt of them an asking for proof that my Husband is eligible to register as an electrician with the regulatory body in Alberta and for proof of work experience as an electrician.

As you cannot not speak to any one in the work permit department to ask what other information besides what we have already sent would be acceptable, we have been forced again to email and ask what exactly do they require and we are still waiting. We are now naturally concerned as my Husband's job start 15/5.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem and if they did what information did they provide that was acceptable?

Piff Poff Apr 2nd 2007 8:53 pm

Re: Problems getting work permit

Originally Posted by Truespark (Post 4593712)
We sent off our work permits on 14/2, a month later we emailed them to ask how much longer they would take. We received an email saying that they had started processing them on the 21/2. One month later we received a letter acknowledging the receipt of them an asking for proof that my Husband is eligible to register as an electrician with the regulatory body in Alberta and for proof of work experience as an electrician.

As you cannot not speak to any one in the work permit department to ask what other information besides what we have already sent would be acceptable, we have been forced again to email and ask what exactly do they require and we are still waiting. We are now naturally concerned as my Husband's job start 15/5.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem and if they did what information did they provide that was acceptable?

Without knowing exactly what you have sent in already, I am guessing they will want proof of hours worked as an electrician as well as copies of any exams (I suppose City and Guilds) or other qualifications, he will probably have to sit an equivelencey exam as well. I am going by what was required from my hubby to prove he was a competent and able mechanic.

Truespark Apr 2nd 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 4593853)
Without knowing exactly what you have sent in already, I am guessing they will want proof of hours worked as an electrician as well as copies of any exams (I suppose City and Guilds) or other qualifications, he will probably have to sit an equivelencey exam as well. I am going by what was required from my hubby to prove he was a competent and able mechanic.

We sent all that in, and his equivenelencey exam is already booked with his experience approved, so I do not know what else they would require.

Piff Poff Apr 3rd 2007 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Truespark (Post 4593865)
We sent all that in, and his equivenelencey exam is already booked with his experience approved, so I do not know what else they would require.

I don't know what else they would want either, I'm guessing a LMO has been done and approved as well, you could try posting in the immigration forum and see if the experts know?

donwauchope Apr 3rd 2007 8:48 am

The LMO probably states that some sort of registration or equivalency in qualification is a requirement for the WP. Read you LMO carefully and see what it says. If you are still unclear get you employer to get a number of the service canada officer who processed the LMO. They will talk to you and can be quite helpful.

lee58uk Apr 3rd 2007 1:21 pm

some times they ask for a CV listing old jobs, times,type work, if you had alberta qualification assessed then i dont see why!!! the professional body has done it for them:confused:

i sent mine off on 22/03 with application and LMO and alberta assessment, and city & guilds tickets for electrician, hope i dont get that hassel :eek:
best of luck