Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Problems with entry for tourists from UK

Problems with entry for tourists from UK

Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

RBN282 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Problems with entry for tourists from UK

In general, UK citizens are permitted to stay for 3 months or so without a visa. I suppose one has to carry a return ticket and proof of funds. Has anyone experienced problems while entering for a short visit for 10 days or so?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Problems with entry for tourists from UK

They just ask you at the point of entry what the purpose of your visit is, and check you have a return flight. You'll get a form to fill in on the plane before you land.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:02 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RBN282
In general, UK citizens are permitted to stay for 3 months or so without a visa. I suppose one has to carry a return ticket and proof of funds. Has anyone experienced problems while entering for a short visit for 10 days or so?
We have never had any problems whilst visiting Canada. We went over in April for 9 days and entered as usual. We always get asked "what is the purpose of your visit" and "where will you be staying". They have always been happy with our reply's.

HTH

Karen
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:51 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RBN282
We've been over for as little as five days before, never a problem. Show a return ticket if asked (usually don't), be able to tell them your itinerary if asked. Know what hotel you're staying at. Not be arriving with the entire world in your luggage and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

ptomlin01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have travelled quite frequently to Toronto and Montreal over the last couple of years.. They always ask 'what is the purpose of your journey' I have found the phrase..

'I am here to VISIT my husband/friends/family for a holiday for xx amount of days' Has been the best for least number of follow on questions.

They usually then ask where my husband lives/works and that's it.

I don't think the amount of luggage you are taking makes a difference as I took only hand luggage on one trip and was questioned about that.

I would always have a return ticket and be prepared to give the address where you are staying because they usually ask.

By the way I think UK visitors can stay for six months not three.

Last edited by ptomlin01; Jun 26th 2008 at 12:19 am.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:25 am
plw
9 inch member

plw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud ofplw has much to be proud of

I also believe it to be 6 months.

Just tell them the truth about reason you are visiting!!!!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

RBN282 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone who replied.
Clearly an average Brit would find it easier to visit Canada than the US.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

6mths as plw said, and no return ticket is required (unlike entry to US under the visa waiver scheme) - you only need to convince the officer that you can fund your departure from Canada at the end of your stay.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:51 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
6mths as plw said, and no return ticket is required (unlike entry to US under the visa waiver scheme) - you only need to convince the officer that you can fund your departure from Canada at the end of your stay.
Should add one proviso, it is quite likely that if you don't have a return ticket as a visitor, the airline may not board you. The reason is, if you are refused admission, then they are on the hook for removing you.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

kittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant futurekittsrush has a brilliant future

You have to have a return ticket as they it is one of the questions they ask you and want to see at security before you check in. My son tried to fly without a return ticket and they made him purchase one as well as ringing the canadian consulate as well
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It's the airline's prerogative, but it's not an entry requirement. If you want to travel on a one-way and don't have a Canadian passport or PR card it'd probably be advisable to avoid foreign airlines and charters and go Air Canada.