Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Problem! Volcanic ash and landing in time!

Problem! Volcanic ash and landing in time!

Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:02 am
Just Joined

sea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nice
Default Re: Problem! Volcanic ash and landing in time!

Originally Posted by JAJ
It may not be possible to reapply as requirements are now different, etc.

Best that could probably be hoped for is that CIC could decide to reissue the visas, possibly after re-doing medicals/police checks. But they may refuse to do even that.
Thanks

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Why, it is not as though they anyone got their permits and had to leave in 2 days. Most have up to 12 months to do this. This is the risk one takes when leaving things to the last minute, with little margin for error. It is my understanding that once the deadline is up, that's it. CIC are bound by immigration legislation, that does not take account of world events. As with all government departments flexibility is not in their vocabulary. In these circumstances I would be rushing to make other travel arrangements and not rest on the hope immigration will make an exception.
I'm not aware of many who get 12 months to make the journey, I thought that was only the maximum allowable time following the medical and not actually possible? In my experience with having a number of friends that have also emigrated to Canada, most have been given a few months maximum. One could have an accident in January and not be fit enough to travel three months later so I'm not one who subscribes to worrying about things that I cannot control or foresee.

I'm quite philosophical. If the flight doesn't get there in time, then it doesn't get there in time. I could rush as much as I want to make other arrangements, but there's no assurance that flights anywhere will take off either judging by the news - the UK is closed and I just have to wait until it opens.

What will be, will be I guess!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sea_sider
Thanks

I'm not aware of many who get 12 months to make the journey, I thought that was only the maximum allowable time following the medical and not actually possible? In my experience with having a number of friends that have also emigrated to Canada, most have been given a few months maximum. One could have an accident in January and not be fit enough to travel three months later so I'm not one who subscribes to worrying about things that I cannot control or foresee.

I'm quite philosophical. If the flight doesn't get there in time, then it doesn't get there in time. I could rush as much as I want to make other arrangements, but there's no assurance that flights anywhere will take off either judging by the news - the UK is closed and I just have to wait until it opens.

What will be, will be I guess!
Im sorry to hear whats happening, Do give CIC a ring or email case specific its worth a try and good luck please let us know how you get on ?
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of

I saw on CBC today that Scotland and parts of northern Ireland look like they may be clear for parts of Sunday and Monday, so it may be worth seeing if you can get a flight transfer, explain your circumstances etc.

If flights do go tomorrow then you should get on yours. We were visiting the UK when 9/11 happened. Our flight was due to leave on 9/12. When they re-opened air space then we had to wait for seat availability on a flight. At that time travelers due to travel on particular flights got on them and the back log had to fit in around what seats were left. I'm sure though that some airlines will put on extra flights to help travel get back to normal.

Unfortunately you may have to pay out extra money to get on a scheduled flight if need be.

If you don't fly tomorrow then keep bugging both CIC and the airline. CIC do extend visa's under some circumstances, it just depends if yours fits into one of them!

Best wishes.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:35 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...s/op/index.asp

Look at manual OP1, section 5.28. Not all that hopeful, unless it conceals a willingness to bend the rules sometimes.

5.28 Extending the validity of visas
The validity of a permanent resident visa may not be extended. Nor can replacement visas be issued with a new validity date. If foreign nationals do not use their visas, they must make a new application for a permanent residence visa. They must also pay a new application processing fee. If they have paid a right of permanent resident fee (RPRF), they do not need to pay it again. The RPRF may be collected only once.

Sometimes, due to factors beyond their control, applicants receive visas that are valid for less than two months. If they cannot travel before their visas expire, officers should update whichever requirement (e.g., medical) was used to set the visa validity. When a new validity date has been obtained, a new visa will be issued.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
That's hardly fair. We read more and more often on here of how people hear nothing from CHC until just before their year to land is up. They seem to hang on to some cases for an inordinately long time. People have even said how they have only had a couple of weeks or even a few days to land. It is not safe to assume that the OP has had his a long time and was simply dragging his heels so to speak.
It may turn out that he has had it a while and has been unable to land before that date for good reason. We should not judge others so harshly when we do not know the facts.
These are exceptional circumstances and as such CHC will most probably extend the date, if the OP asks.
lol
Stef

Why, it is not as though they anyone got their permits and had to leave in 2 days. Most have up to 12 months to do this. This is the risk one takes when leaving things to the last minute, with little margin for error. It is my understanding that once the deadline is up, that's it. CIC are bound by immigration legislation, that does not take account of world events. As with all government departments flexibility is not in their vocabulary. In these circumstances I would be rushing to make other travel arrangements and not rest on the hope immigration will make an exception.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
That's hardly fair. We read more and more often on here of how people hear nothing from CHC until just before their year to land is up. They seem to hang on to some cases for an inordinately long time. People have even said how they have only had a couple of weeks or even a few days to land. It is not safe to assume that the OP has had his a long time and was simply dragging his heels so to speak.
It may turn out that he has had it a while and has been unable to land before that date for good reason. We should not judge others so harshly when we do not know the facts.
These are exceptional circumstances and as such CHC will most probably extend the date, if the OP asks.
lol
Stef
I understand what you are saying about his reasons for leaving it so late to "land" - at the end of the day it is up to the individual concerned to determine when he is able to fly to Canada, however, leaving it to 3-4 days before expiry of the visa is pushing it a little

CIC will normally notify you if there are less than 2 months to expiry of your medicals / passport validity before issuing the PR Visa and give you the option to redo the medical / renew your passport before issuing it (I state normally... I do know it isn't always the case). In my son's case they did tell him he could redo his medical if he didn't think he could land in time.

I think stating "CIC may possibly extend the date" would be more appropriate. CIC are not required to extend and stating they will "probably" do so could be a little misleading, in my opinion.

The OP should investigate all possible avenues to ensure he arrives before his Visa expires, not rely on the hope that CIC are going to be compassionate.

Edit: BA have stopped flights until Monday... few flights out of England at the moment News updates posted here: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...es_No-Fly_Zone

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 17th 2010 at 6:41 am.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:43 am
Just Joined

sea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nice

A little surprised how my initial question about my options has, for some people, become a point of, "it's his own fault for not emigrating the moment it landed on his doormat". Perhaps I'm a little more laid back than most!

For those curious, I received CPR in December and didn't want to go during the bun-fight of the Olympics or Easter and had a choice of either January or April. So yes some would be right that if my grandmother had died in Dec, Feb or March instead of January after hanging on through Xmas, then perhaps I would have been in a much stronger position to predict a volcanic eruption in Iceland in April where absolutely no-one is able to fly trans-atlantically in the UK. That includes NI and Scotland who MAY be allowed some domestic flights and not trans-Atlantic!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of

Hope everything works out for you.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 11:39 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raymasa
I hope the CIC will understand the circumstances. As an alternate, could you take a train to France or Spain or elsewhere and fly out of there? May be more expensive, but at least you won’t have to re-apply. But hope, CIC will give you extra time to get there.

Ray
French airports have been closed also.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 11:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed.

I know it doesn't help in this situation but hopefully it'll be a wake up for those hoping to leave the activation of visa's to the last minute.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

A little surprised how my initial question about my options has, for some people, become a point of, "it's his own fault for not emigrating the moment it landed on his doormat". Perhaps I'm a little more laid back than most!

For those curious, I received CPR in December and didn't want to go during the bun-fight of the Olympics or Easter and had a choice of either January or April. So yes some would be right that if my grandmother had died in Dec, Feb or March instead of January after hanging on through Xmas, then perhaps I would have been in a much stronger position to predict a volcanic eruption in Iceland in April where absolutely no-one is able to fly trans-atlantically in the UK. That includes NI and Scotland who MAY be allowed some domestic flights and not trans-Atlantic!
I hope you manage to contact them in time, looks like it could be a long time until the flights are resumed
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:28 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to wish you luck in getting your visa sorted out. What an awful situation to be in.

We should have flown out Sat am but that was just for a holiday and re arranging that was bad enough!

Good Luck!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

We are awaiting our flight which was to be last Saturday.

Canadian Affair have told me this morning that they will push our details (flight and car) out by a week for no extra cost.

The LATEST is Europe and airlines are arguing how much risk there is. Canadian Affair say they heard 1 hour ago that they may have a flight in the morning !!!!!

This depends on the air space opening.....but the pressure is mounting and test flights are saying that it is safe !!!

Watch this space

JET
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

voyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the roughvoyce100 is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

I have to land by Thursday 22nd April, the anniversary of my medical, and a couple of months ago I booked my flight out for Sunday 18th April (tomorrow as I type) giving myself a few days leeway while fitting everything else in workwise. Let's face it, volcanic ash and the closure of UK airspace was not one of the top 100 worries on my list when I booked!

Now there's a very good chance that my flight could be cancelled and I'm concerned that there's going to be a problem getting there in time. This could nean no flights by the 22nd or possibly flights available later on, but at a huge price increase while many fight for whatever flights that they can pick up.

I sent an email to the High Commission in London yesterday asking for advice, but no reply as yet.

Is this situation something that CIC would say "yes, we understand these exceptional circumstances, no need to re-apply from the beginning, take another medical" or am I well and truly in trouble?

My plans are to go out for a few days to get everything stamped up and meet some colleagues and friends, then over the coming months start to build up work in Vancouver while maintaining work in UK. I want to have some stability before lumping everything over there.

Any advice and words of hope appreciated!
We are due to fly out on May 4th to land. We need to have landed by May 23 to keep the visa. We asked CIC what happens if things are not back to normal and we cannot get to Canada by our deadline. Here is their reply: We regret that there is no facility to extend visa validity as this is strictly tied to medical validity.

We can only offer the option of new medical examinations.

If you wish to undergo new medical examinations, please return the Confirmation of Permanent Residence document(s), provide new passport photos and a bank draft for CAD $30 for each visa that requires re-issuance.

We will then send out new medical form(s). Upon receipt and review of the new medical results, we will re-request submission of passport for re-issuance of visa.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Lorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JET747
We are awaiting our flight which was to be last Saturday.

Canadian Affair have told me this morning that they will push our details (flight and car) out by a week for no extra cost.

The LATEST is Europe and airlines are arguing how much risk there is. Canadian Affair say they heard 1 hour ago that they may have a flight in the morning !!!!!

This depends on the air space opening.....but the pressure is mounting and test flights are saying that it is safe !!!

Watch this space

JET
Let me know how you get on please JET, nwe are still waiting to hear

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.