Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Problem! Volcanic ash and landing in time!

Problem! Volcanic ash and landing in time!

Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

sea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nice
Default Problem! Volcanic ash and landing in time!

Hi all,

I have to land by Thursday 22nd April, the anniversary of my medical, and a couple of months ago I booked my flight out for Sunday 18th April (tomorrow as I type) giving myself a few days leeway while fitting everything else in workwise. Let's face it, volcanic ash and the closure of UK airspace was not one of the top 100 worries on my list when I booked!

Now there's a very good chance that my flight could be cancelled and I'm concerned that there's going to be a problem getting there in time. This could nean no flights by the 22nd or possibly flights available later on, but at a huge price increase while many fight for whatever flights that they can pick up.

I sent an email to the High Commission in London yesterday asking for advice, but no reply as yet.

Is this situation something that CIC would say "yes, we understand these exceptional circumstances, no need to re-apply from the beginning, take another medical" or am I well and truly in trouble?

My plans are to go out for a few days to get everything stamped up and meet some colleagues and friends, then over the coming months start to build up work in Vancouver while maintaining work in UK. I want to have some stability before lumping everything over there.

Any advice and words of hope appreciated!
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem! Volcanic ash and landing in time!

Hi
Can't offer any advice but with OH currently working at Gatwick I can say it doesn't look good for a few days yet! Sorry...

Good luck anyway and at least my reply will pop you back up to the top
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

You have put my worries in perspective somewhat... we are due to fly out on 22nd for a recce and application hand-in, and I'm now doubting that is going to happen. Not happy at all... but we don't have a deadline like you do so it's not really that bad!
I hope you manage to get it sorted out... surely they should understand the situation, there's nothing you can do about it?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by sea_sider
Hi all,

I have to land by Thursday 22nd April, the anniversary of my medical, and a couple of months ago I booked my flight out for Sunday 18th April (tomorrow as I type) giving myself a few days leeway while fitting everything else in workwise. Let's face it, volcanic ash and the closure of UK airspace was not one of the top 100 worries on my list when I booked!

Now there's a very good chance that my flight could be cancelled and I'm concerned that there's going to be a problem getting there in time. This could nean no flights by the 22nd or possibly flights available later on, but at a huge price increase while many fight for whatever flights that they can pick up.

I sent an email to the High Commission in London yesterday asking for advice, but no reply as yet.

Is this situation something that CIC would say "yes, we understand these exceptional circumstances, no need to re-apply from the beginning, take another medical" or am I well and truly in trouble?

My plans are to go out for a few days to get everything stamped up and meet some colleagues and friends, then over the coming months start to build up work in Vancouver while maintaining work in UK. I want to have some stability before lumping everything over there.

Any advice and words of hope appreciated!
One or two flights left Glasgow yesterday for Canada.... but the total shutdown then returned.

Hope you get there!

No idea what CHC will say (hopefully not that you should not have left it so late).

Good luck.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

raymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to allraymasa is a name known to all

I hope the CIC will understand the circumstances. As an alternate, could you take a train to France or Spain or elsewhere and fly out of there? May be more expensive, but at least you won’t have to re-apply. But hope, CIC will give you extra time to get there.

Ray
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

sea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nicesea_sider is just really nice

Originally Posted by raymasa
I hope the CIC will understand the circumstances. As an alternate, could you take a train to France or Spain or elsewhere and fly out of there? May be more expensive, but at least you won’t have to re-apply. But hope, CIC will give you extra time to get there.

Ray
Thanks to all for your comments.

The news stated that all Eurostar trains were now fully booked and P&O Ferries had 4 times the demand. Flights across Northern Europe are affected too and my flight / booking company (Canadian Affair) have told me that I will have to wait, they will set off (eventually) with all of the back-log. The problem with this is that they don't want to cancel outright and give refunds and I'm sure that they will have some who WILL cancel and lose their money.

Rang Thomas Cook Airlines (TCA) and they said that they are telling customers not to travel, which is in complete contrast to Canadian Affair (CA) who say I should. TCA also said that they are aware that CA are not giving the same advice, but I have to follow what CA say as I booked through them.

If I wait at Gatwick how much will it cost in the end? Equally I still have a hotel in Vancouver and parking to pay for at Gatwick, and if the flights back are delayed, there are more hotel costs again as well as delays at work and these costs too. This cloud could last for weeks some experts say.

Life, eh?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sea_sider
Thanks to all for your comments.

The news stated that all Eurostar trains were now fully booked and P&O Ferries had 4 times the demand:
My OH and son are in the Eurostar terminal at Paris at the moment, trying to get home after a weekend in the city. They say its chaos. All tickets are sold but people still trying to get on the trains. Waiting for a text to see if they get on - they have pre-booked tickets so hope OK.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Well, if the CIC don't understand that this is exceptional then yoiu must begin to question their judgement in the first place. My view is that CIC will fully appreciate that there are bound to be people in this situation and will make allowances. Keep the CIC posted and try not to worry.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This is the exact reason I forced my son to land 2 weeks before the expiry of his visa - he wanted to leave it until 3 days before. I was so afraid that "something" unknown could happen and he wouldn't be able to get on the flight until after the deadline.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this - you must be worried sick!

According to these websites, Thomas Cook have cancelled previously booked flights for thurs/fri/sat and those passengers will need to rebook. I presume this is to ensure that passengers booked on flights after today are guaranteed their seats.

http://flythomascook.custhelp.com/cg...hp?p_faqid=321

They have a contact form for further help here: http://flythomascook.custhelp.com/cg...ty=0&p_lva=190

http://thomascooknew.custhelp.com/cg...**&p_topview=1

Gatwick Airport advisory states all flights cancelled until 7am tomorrow http://www.gatwickairport.com/

It appears that flights tomorrow may be going out of gatwick. It has contact numbers on the websites.

ABTA http://www.abta.com/consumer-service...el_information

British Airways look like they have flights to Canada tomorrow and Monday/Tuesday... they have been "bussing" passengers to Glasgow for flights to Toronto, cancelled out of Heathrow, to ensure the flights departure.

If CA tell you that your flight will not be operating, I would strongly suggest you see if you can get a flight out of Glasgow or one of the other northern airports or on a different airline, no matter what the cost.

CIC doesn't have any information on flight delays and the effect on PR Visa's, but I would doubt if they will make any allowances... it may be worthwhile calling the London Office:

Contact us - after working hours:
Canadian High Commission – 020 7258 6600 or
Call international toll free number – 00 800 2326 6831

You should try your hardest to find a way to get here before midnight of the 22nd.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you

Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:59 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
This is the exact reason I forced my son to land 2 weeks before the expiry of his visa - he wanted to leave it until 3 days before. I was so afraid that "something" unknown could happen and he wouldn't be able to get on the flight until after the deadline.

I am so sorry you are experiencing this - you must be worried sick!

According to these websites, Thomas Cook have cancelled previously booked flights for thurs/fri/sat and those passengers will need to rebook. I presume this is to ensure that passengers booked on flights after today are guaranteed their seats.

http://flythomascook.custhelp.com/cg...hp?p_faqid=321

They have a contact form for further help here: http://flythomascook.custhelp.com/cg...ty=0&p_lva=190

http://thomascooknew.custhelp.com/cg...**&p_topview=1

Gatwick Airport advisory states all flights cancelled until 7am tomorrow http://www.gatwickairport.com/

It appears that flights tomorrow may be going out of gatwick. It has contact numbers on the websites.

ABTA http://www.abta.com/consumer-service...el_information

British Airways look like they have flights to Canada tomorrow and Monday/Tuesday... they have been "bussing" passengers to Glasgow for flights to Toronto, cancelled out of Heathrow, to ensure the flights departure.

If CA tell you that your flight will not be operating, I would strongly suggest you see if you can get a flight out of Glasgow or one of the other northern airports or on a different airline, no matter what the cost.

CIC doesn't have any information on flight delays and the effect on PR Visa's, but I would doubt if they will make any allowances... it may be worthwhile calling the London Office:

Contact us - after working hours:
Canadian High Commission – 020 7258 6600 or
Call international toll free number – 00 800 2326 6831

You should try your hardest to find a way to get here before midnight of the 22nd.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you

I agree I think it would be a logistical nightmare for CIC to make any allowances, they provide year from date of meds to allow time to land, granted this could not be forseen, but I very much doubt they will make any exceptions, as the above poster suggests I think you should make alternative arrangements if at all possible

Good luck, hope it works out ok for you
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I think you should send CHC a case specific e-mail and ask for their guidance. They are in a position to maybe note it on your file and give extensions. Don't delay tell them!
That is my advice and certainly what I would do
Hope this helps
Stef

QUOTE=sea_sider;8502601]Hi all,

Any advice and words of hope appreciated![/QUOTE]
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

People have asked for and been given extensions in exceptional circumstances
lol
Stef
Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I agree I think it would be a logistical nightmare for CIC to make any allowances, they provide year from date of meds to allow time to land, granted this could not be forseen, but I very much doubt they will make any exceptions, as the above poster suggests I think you should make alternative arrangements if at all possible

Good luck, hope it works out ok for you
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
Well, if the CIC don't understand that this is exceptional then yoiu must begin to question their judgement in the first place. My view is that CIC will fully appreciate that there are bound to be people in this situation and will make allowances. Keep the CIC posted and try not to worry.
Why, it is not as though they anyone got their permits and had to leave in 2 days. Most have up to 12 months to do this. This is the risk one takes when leaving things to the last minute, with little margin for error. It is my understanding that once the deadline is up, that's it. CIC are bound by immigration legislation, that does not take account of world events. As with all government departments flexibility is not in their vocabulary. In these circumstances I would be rushing to make other travel arrangements and not rest on the hope immigration will make an exception.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:44 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm an overly cautious person and would never leave anything until the last minute. Even without the volcano you could still have been delayed by an accident or whatever. I doubt that CIC will make any concessions here after all why should they, and even if they did would would provide the extra staffing to do the work?

Try and find another way to get here if you can, though it may be cheaper to reapply.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Try and find another way to get here if you can, though it may be cheaper to reapply.
It may not be possible to reapply as requirements are now different, etc.

Best that could probably be hoped for is that CIC could decide to reissue the visas, possibly after re-doing medicals/police checks. But they may refuse to do even that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.