Problem with Lawyer

Old May 23rd 2005, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Azam Ali will become famous soon enough
Default Problem with Lawyer

Dear Friends

I have small problem. I hire a lawyer to help to prepare my immigration application to canada in 2003.

After more then 2 years they guy even unable to file my application yet due to one reason or other.

Now I think enough is enough, and want to change in the lawyer but problem is I already fully paid all the fee to him.

Is there anyway to ask the lawyer to refund the moeies paid?

Is law society would be able to help me?

Best regards.

Azam Ali
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with Lawyer

Originally Posted by Azam Ali
I have small problem. I hire a lawyer to help to prepare my immigration application to canada in 2003.

After more then 2 years they guy even unable to file my application yet due to one reason or other.

Now I think enough is enough, and want to change in the lawyer but problem is I already fully paid all the fee to him.

Is it a Canadian lawyer?

Jeremy
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is it a Canadian lawyer?

Jeremy

Yes. In BC

I hired her to my application and paid in full, she was very active and very prompt in replying me untill, I paid her up.

Once funds received then now I have to chase them they seldom reply email. Last time I heard from secratory that the file is complete and waiting for final chacking by the lawyer.

But from 2003 till 2005, it is alreay unexpected delay. All they managed to do is collect doucments. Since they are taking so much time once the year change then they start asking whole process of documents again.

I know since application is nearly completed unless she find out some other reason to put my matter in cold again, but i am wondering with such a horriable follow up, how can i depend her for timely replying for future comunication from CIC?
The only reason I need to stick to them becouse of money paid. Is there any way out??
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. In BC

I hired her to my application and paid in full, she was very active and very prompt in replying me untill, I paid her up.

Once funds received then now I have to chase them they seldom reply email. Last time I heard from secratory that the file is complete and waiting for final chacking by the lawyer.

But from 2003 till 2005, it is alreay unexpected delay. All they managed to do is collect doucments. Since they are taking so much time once the year change then they start asking whole process of documents again.

I know since application is nearly completed unless she find out some other reason to put my matter in cold again, but i am wondering with such a horriable follow up, how can i depend her for timely replying for future comunication from CIC?
The only reason I need to stick to them becouse of money paid. Is there any way out??

You can fire your lawyer anytime and represent yourself from now on. However you may not get any money back (it depends on the contract signed).

If you feel a complaint is justified, look at the website of the BC law society. However it's usually best to talk to the lawyer first about your dissatisfaction and work out an arrangement from there.

Jeremy
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:48 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

You already know my opinion about this situation for more than a year now.

But I'd like to add one more element here - by not making decision for such long period you are wasting time and such waste in your circumstances is worth much more than the amount you paid to the lawyer. Cut your losses my friend. Time is money, don't throw any more good money after already lost (bad) money.

Dear Friends

Best regards.

Azam Ali
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
You already know my opinion about this situation for more than a year now.

But I'd like to add one more element here - by not making decision for such long period you are wasting time and such waste in your circumstances is worth much more than the amount you paid to the lawyer. Cut your losses my friend. Time is money, don't throw any more good money after already lost (bad) money.
Dear Andrew

But have told me that she is good one, only issue is a bit busy. But actually my personal experiance there is nothing good one about her.

After these all years, i am not impress with her professionalism at all, the are nice until you pay them up.

Lets put it this way, i have dealt with lawyer here, they are prfessioanls and would do the job, plus law socities are make sure they are keept in this way.

But so far expreaince of canadian lawyers are no good.
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:29 pm

I'm not saying that she is not good - she is a very good lawyer. But it doesn't mean that she is running her immigration part of business as good as she should. It is always the same with large law firms - it is not their big lawyers who work on immigration applications, they can't even afford to do it if they charge their corporate and trial clients $400 to $600+ per hour (and she does charge that much per hour). They simply delegate immigration cases to their staff, assistants (paid ~$28/hr) and students volunteering there just to learn. Just calculate how many hours of her own time your fee covered? 5 maybe 7 hours? And all those hours are already used long ago just for communication (with you, with her staff, etc.) in the period of 2 years. And even simplest application requires at least 25 to 35+ hours of communication, preparation, monitoring, etc. through the entire process. Did you pay her $15,000 to $20,000+ for your case? I don't think so. This is why you have problems communicating, getting replies or just getting their attention. Those large law firms treat immigration as their side business (I call it immigration mill) that makes them money without any time involvement on their part - their low level staff does all for them, often with not so pleasant results for clients. They themselves give all their time to corporate and trial clients who generate tens and hundreds of thousands per case each month for them. It is just a numbers game for them - many of their immigration clients get simply lucky (usually thanks to not so complex cases), some are not so lucky.

Dear Andrew

But have told me that she is good one, only issue is a bit busy. But actually my personal experiance there is nothing good one about her.

After these all years, i am not impress with her professionalism at all, the are nice until you pay them up.

Lets put it this way, i have dealt with lawyer here, they are prfessioanls and would do the job, plus law socities are make sure they are keept in this way.

Old May 23rd 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
I'm not saying that she is not good - she is a very good lawyer. But it doesn't mean that she is running her immigration part of business as good as she should. It is always the same with large law firms - it is not their big lawyers who work on immigration applications, they can't even afford to do it if they charge their corporate and trial clients $400 to $600+ per hour (and she does charge that much per hour). They simply delegate immigration cases to their staff, assistants (paid ~$28/hr) and students volunteering there just to learn. Just calculate how many hours of her own time your fee covered? 5 maybe 7 hours? And all those hours are already used long ago just for communication (with you, with her staff, etc.) in the period of 2 years. And even simplest application requires at least 25 to 35+ hours of communication, preparation, monitoring, etc. through the entire process. Did you pay her $15,000 to $20,000+ for your case? I don't think so. This is why you have problems communicating, getting replies or just getting their attention. Those large law firms treat immigration as their side business (I call it immigration mill) that makes them money without any time involvement on their part - their low level staff does all for them, often with not so pleasant results for clients. They themselves give all their time to corporate and trial clients who generate tens and hundreds of thousands per case each month for them. It is just a numbers game for them - many of their immigration clients get simply lucky (usually thanks to not so complex cases), some are not so lucky.

Dear Andrew

I made a bad decision, actually made it before knowing you. Now I must try to solve it either way.

I know biggest job is preparation of application we are almost through, and they are almost ready to file it.

But i am wondering with the level of service they are providing, I would not be surprise if they just simpally screw up the client by not taking up future CIC comunications.

It is still risky.
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:41 pm

Yes, it looks that way.

Dear Andrew

I made a bad decision, actually made it before knowing you. Now I must try to solve it either way.

I know biggest job is preparation of application we are almost through, and they are almost ready to file it.

But i am wondering with the level of service they are providing, I would not be surprise if they just simpally screw up the client by not taking up future CIC comunications.

It is still risky.
Old May 23rd 2005, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

orazone is on a distinguished road

I believe we are very fortunate to have real and genuine immigration lawyers like Andrew & Jim with us here. I believe, its an extremely valuable information.
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:12 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

GOBLIN will become famous soon enoughGOBLIN will become famous soon enough

Dear Andrew

Dear Azam,

From whatever I read in your post about your experience, calling the lawyer "good" is a gross exaggeration. no matter what their track record is, if they're not professional then they're no good, zero.

just get your documents back and do the case yourself if it's not too complicated or hire an immigration consultant who has a good track record and one who can provide client references.
once you have lodged your case then you can concentrate on recovering your damages from the lawyer.( just my suggestion)

Good Luck!
Old May 23rd 2005, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GOBLIN
Dear Azam,

From whatever I read in your post about your experience, calling the lawyer "good" is a gross exaggeration. no matter what their track record is, if they're not professional then they're no good, zero.

just get your documents back and do the case yourself if it's not too complicated or hire an immigration consultant who has a good track record and one who can provide client references.
once you have lodged your case then you can concentrate on recovering your damages from the lawyer.( just my suggestion)

Good Luck!
Thanks!

I indeed needed a immigration consultant or lawyers due to family complications, moreover i am applying in business catagory as enterpreneur which is more difficult then skill worker catagory.

Honestly speaking, even one of my friend also encounter another lawyer in Toronto that guy also no better then my lawyer.

Most funniest thing is these lawyers always encourage business catagory applicatants to apply is invester. (as they would ear huge commission from banks on the loan for every investor applciation) which is surprising for me as it is clearly conflict on interst (they becoime interested party due to agency commission earning from banks thus unable to advice in the best interest of client).

I mus admit that Andrew is an exception, as he adviced me against applying as investor. He is most honest and upright (immigration consultan) i know till now.

I hope things wouild be clear within these few days, I was stupid as lawyer agree to take progressive payment in several parts, but i trust them and send full payment, that is going to haunt me now.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway. I would wait for few days before making final decision.

Best regards.
Old May 24th 2005, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

samon is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Azam,
If I were you I would not wait, I would do it now. After all 'Time is Money',
and not vice versa.
If you are not satisfied, act first ask for explanation later.
Regards.