Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Problem in Landing ..Please Advise

Problem in Landing ..Please Advise

Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:17 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 2
Deer is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Problem in Landing ..Please Advise

Hi All,
We landed in Canada on Oct 29,2005 and our last date for landing is Jan 14th,2006. The officer in Customs asked us whether we are moving permanently to Canada, we said we are doing our landing, we will come back to canada after couple of months.
The officer said that we should apply for our PR after we completely move to Canada, and he gave us Address Notification -Permanent Resddent Card form.

We came back to USA on the same day. The form has 1800 number, fax no and www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services, so can we go into this website and apply for PR card while staying in USA and can we give our friends address in Canada for this.
Could you please suggest me on this
Regards
Deer is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:35 am
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem in Landing ..Please Advise

You didn't make it clear in your post if during landing application for PR Card was completed or not.

If it was completed and you provided Canadian address for PR Card mailing then you don't need to apply for it separately. Of course there may be a problem with photo and you may still be asked to come to local CIC office in canada for new photo to be taken.

But if any of this didn't happen then you need to apply for PR Card after moving permanently to Canada. PR Card cannot be applied for from outside Canada and must be picked up in person from your local CIC office when issued.



Originally Posted by Deer
Hi All,
We landed in Canada on Oct 29,2005 and our last date for landing is Jan 14th,2006. The officer in Customs asked us whether we are moving permanently to Canada, we said we are doing our landing, we will come back to canada after couple of months.
The officer said that we should apply for our PR after we completely move to Canada, and he gave us Address Notification -Permanent Resddent Card form.

We came back to USA on the same day. The form has 1800 number, fax no and www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services, so can we go into this website and apply for PR card while staying in USA and can we give our friends address in Canada for this.
Could you please suggest me on this
Regards
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:27 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 2
Deer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem in Landing ..Please Advise

Andrew , tx for the quick reply,

The only form I believe we filled is copr , i.e we signed it where ever he asked us , then the officer gave us the Address Notification form ,
He was not ready to take our Friends address .

our Eclient status shows complete . From the cic.gc.ca there are options to update the address ! I am not sure if we should do this , and give our canada friends address as contact , I can access this website from US .

Other concerns are , will there be any issues if we don't apply for PR card for a Year OR two . As per the website it says we need to be in Canada only for 2 years in a period of 5 years ,

I know from US we can drive and there is no visa needed , but if we fly we need some t-visa , also how hard is it to get these visas ?

I heard there are people who did a 3 way confrence call to the 1800 and gave the canadian address ! Not sure if we should do anything or if it is not permitted
Deer is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:18 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem in Landing ..Please Advise

If oficer refused to take your friend's Canadian address then your PR Cards won't be issued until you provide address to CIC - you have 180 days from landing to do it. Changing address online may not help as there is only address for your PR application file and this file is now closed. If you are back in Canada withing 180 days then notify CIC about your Canadian address. If not then PR Card will be destroyed after said 180 days and you will have to apply for it after moving permanently to Canada.

To travel to Canada using any commercial transportation you need either PR Card or Travel Document. TD must be applied for through Canadian visa post - it will involve verification of your presence in Canada since landing to determine if you still can maintain your PR status.


Originally Posted by Deer
Andrew , tx for the quick reply,

The only form I believe we filled is copr , i.e we signed it where ever he asked us , then the officer gave us the Address Notification form ,
He was not ready to take our Friends address .

our Eclient status shows complete . From the cic.gc.ca there are options to update the address ! I am not sure if we should do this , and give our canada friends address as contact , I can access this website from US .

Other concerns are , will there be any issues if we don't apply for PR card for a Year OR two . As per the website it says we need to be in Canada only for 2 years in a period of 5 years ,

I know from US we can drive and there is no visa needed , but if we fly we need some t-visa , also how hard is it to get these visas ?

I heard there are people who did a 3 way confrence call to the 1800 and gave the canadian address ! Not sure if we should do anything or if it is not permitted
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2005, 6:32 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 156
traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Problem in Landing ..Please Advise

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If oficer refused to take your friend's Canadian address then your PR Cards won't be issued until you provide address to CIC - you have 180 days from landing to do it. Changing address online may not help as there is only address for your PR application file and this file is now closed. If you are back in Canada withing 180 days then notify CIC about your Canadian address. If not then PR Card will be destroyed after said 180 days and you will have to apply for it after moving permanently to Canada.

To travel to Canada using any commercial transportation you need either PR Card or Travel Document. TD must be applied for through Canadian visa post - it will involve verification of your presence in Canada since landing to determine if you still can maintain your PR status.
This is a little off topic, but when we just landed in Toronto the officer filling out our COPR form asked us for an address for our PR card and said "preferably an address in Canada". We gave her a friends address in Toronto but her comment made me wonder if we could have given a US address?!

Tracey
traceyparker1 is offline  
Old Nov 1st 2005, 8:05 am
  #6  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,708
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem in Landing ..Please Advise

Hi

Originally Posted by traceyparker1
This is a little off topic, but when we just landed in Toronto the officer filling out our COPR form asked us for an address for our PR card and said "preferably an address in Canada". We gave her a friends address in Toronto but her comment made me wonder if we could have given a US address?!

Tracey
Nope, Canadian address only.

PMM
PMM is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.