Probably a stupid question but...

Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probably a stupid question but...

Thank you to the "OP" for her far from "stupid" question.

We're in the same position, but dual UK-Canada citizens now living in Europe. I now know that we'll need to keep the Canadian PP valid under the new rules, which I didn't know before reading this thread.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I always ensure I have valid passports for the countries I wish to remain citizens of.

It is pointless not having one if you need to fly there at a moments notice e.g. a death etc...

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 1st 2016 at 7:37 am.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:13 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Interestingly enough though, we do have several psters who have had to travel at short notice - sudden deaths in the family - just after getting citizenship, and they haven't had time to get a passport Takes longer at check-in as their citizenship has to be verified with DIBP (Immigration) but they have eventually managed to travel with a UK passport, expired visa, and citizenship certificate. I wonder if Canada will have the same allowance made?
It can be done but the airline needs to request permission from DIBP to 'uplift' the individual at check-in. Canada would need to have a similar 24/7 operations centre that an airline can call for the same to be true.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 8:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It can be done but the airline needs to request permission from DIBP to 'uplift' the individual at check-in. Canada would need to have a similar 24/7 operations centre that an airline can call for the same to be true.
Thanks.
i know the people who have done it have been warned to expect check in delays, as well as delays when they get in to Aus, and some have had to wait an hour or so for clearance but then they've been allowed to fly.
They are people who have literally only had a couple of days after getting citizenship though, and the travel has always been unexpected.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I always ensure I have valid passports for the countries I wish to remain citizens of.

It is pointless not having one if you need to fly there at a moments notice e.g. a death etc...

Just my 2 cents.
A passport doesn't change the fact that you're a citizen so I'm not sure what you mean by ensuring you have a valid passport for the countries you wish to remain a citizen of. If I need to fly there at a moment's notice then I get on a plane and fly there. If I can't get on a plane to Toronto then I can get on a plane to Buffalo and drive across the border where I can speak to a Canadian border guard and show them my proof of Canadian citizenship.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
A passport doesn't change the fact that you're a citizen so I'm not sure what you mean by ensuring you have a valid passport for the countries you wish to remain a citizen of. If I need to fly there at a moment's notice then I get on a plane and fly there. If I can't get on a plane to Toronto then I can get on a plane to Buffalo and drive across the border where I can speak to a Canadian border guard and show them my proof of Canadian citizenship.
Thats ok when you can drive across the border! Not so easy with Australia and the Uk though.
I can see what Alfresco means, I have current UK and Aus passports as it just makes life easier when travelling. I don't wnat the hassle of standing waiting at check in to be approved, and the last thing I want after flying across the world is to be held up at immigration while they verify my right to enter.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the Liberal guvermint are planning to tinker with ETA? Since it's mostly a Conservative invention?

I'm hearing 'chatter' that the Liberals want to repeal those sections of the new citizenship law that they don't like. Mostly citizenship removal provisions.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats ok when you can drive across the border! Not so easy with Australia and the Uk though.
I can see what Alfresco means, I have current UK and Aus passports as it just makes life easier when travelling. I don't wnat the hassle of standing waiting at check in to be approved, and the last thing I want after flying across the world is to be held up at immigration while they verify my right to enter.
Well thats an inventive way to get into Canada with just an expired passport and a birth certificate fly to the US on an Australian passport with an ESTA duly approved. But then you wouldnt need to bother showing the birth certificate or expired Canadian passport as you enter Canada by land just need the valid Australian passport and enter as a tourist. Always a way around just seems easier to have a new Canadian passport and fly direct but whatever anyone feels comfortable with and is the least hassle as far as they are concerned. Think we have all done this thread to death but at least has cleared up some things on the ETA and dual citizens as well as the inventive alternative. Good luck to the OP whichever way they choose and safe travels in May
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Failing to hold a valid passport doesn't stop you being a citizen of a country (well, unless you're Dutch) but the onus is still on you to provide conclusive evidence that of you are a citizen of the country you are claiming to be when moving between countries. Your particular set of circumstances may currently allow to do this without one but a valid passport is the universally acceptable way to do this.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:17 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Failing to hold a valid passport doesn't stop you being a citizen of a country (well, unless you're Dutch) but the onus is still on you to provide conclusive evidence that of you are a citizen of the country you are claiming to be when moving between countries. Your particular set of circumstances may currently allow to do this without one but a valid passport is the universally acceptable way to do this.
Former Lancastrian is really the man here.

You should PM him Dorothy!
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. I also wouldn't want to carry my other important docs around the world. They stay in a safe. If I lose a passport, I can get another one fairly easily. If I lose the other docs like birth certificates etc... then it is a real PITA to get replacements.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is currently what the CIC website says

I am a Canadian citizen and a citizen of a visa-exempt country. Can I still fly to Canada with my foreign passport?

Yes, you can for now. However, soon you will need to show proof that you are a Canadian citizen in order to board your flight to Canada. This information will be requested when you check in for your flight.

To avoid getting stuck at the airport, be sure to travel with a valid Canadian passport. It provides proof that you are a citizen and have a right to enter Canada. Otherwise you may face delays or be prevented from boarding your flight to Canada.

Learn more about how to renew or apply for a Canadian passport.

Please Note: Canadian citizens (including dual citizens) cannot apply for an eTA.

My answer is Have a valid Canadian passport for travel. To expect an Airline Agent to know all the nuances of what proves you are a Canadian citizen is somewhat simplistic unless you present them with a valid Canadian passport.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...sp?q=1167&t=16
Old Feb 1st 2016, 10:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks once again everyone. I have downloaded the application for a new passport but holy crap they don't make it easy for people overseas. Oh well, if the boy wants to go to Canada then I guess I will have to suvk it up and get a new passport.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Oops. I just posted my own thread asking the same question. I agree Dorothy, and for 2 people (my grandparents) the renewal cost is over $500. And yes they don't make it easy what with all the references and other crap you need... I wonder if you tried and applied for the eTA anyways what would happen? The worst it can say is "No", right? Then you have the eTA to get past airline check in and can show your normal docs like you did pre-eTA to the CBSA BSO in order to get into Canada.

Oh, keep in mind since your passport expired in 2010, you are not applying to "renew" it, you are making a fresh application for a "new passport" which is even more tedious than a renewal. Renewals are only eligible for Canadians whose passports are currently valid or expired no more than 1 year... Good luck with it.