Probably a stupid question but...

Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Probably a stupid question but...

Ok, so my (dual Australian/British citizen) partner and I (dual Australian/Canadian citizen) are traveling to Canada in May. He's traveling on his Australian passport as am I. My Canadian one expired in 2010 and I don't really see the need to renew it since I live in Australia. When we land does he come through the citizens line with me or do we both go through the visitors line?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probably a stupid question but...

What you need to think about is the fact that entry requirements for Canada are changing from March 15. Your partner as a visa exempt citizen on either passport (Aus or British) will need an eTA to board the plane to Canada:

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Dual nationals (i.e. in this case Canadian + a visa exempt nationality) are not allowed to get an eTA (i.e. you're not permitted to get one on your other passport). In your shoes, with the changes coming, I'd renew:

"I am a Canadian citizen and a citizen of a visa-exempt country. Can I apply for an eTA?
No. eTA is only for visa-exempt foreign nationals flying to Canada. With the information from the eTA application, the Government of Canada determines if a foreign national can travel to Canada.

Canadian citizens are not eligible to apply for an eTA because the government does not screen them. By law, Canadian citizens, including those who are also citizens of a visa-exempt country, have the right to enter and remain in Canada.

Dual citizens should be prepared for this and travel with a valid Canadian passport. Otherwise they may experience delays or be prevented from boarding their flight to Canada. Learn more about how to renew or apply for a Canadian passport."

Online Help Centre - List of questions and answers - by topic

So this is not an answer to your original question, but something else to think about to ensure you don't have any issues boarding your flight to Canada after March 15.

S

PS: there is another Q/A above the one I just quoted, accessible by the link above, which explains the situation in another way.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 31st 2016 at 5:11 am.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Ok, so my (dual Australian/British citizen) partner and I (dual Australian/Canadian citizen) are traveling to Canada in May. He's traveling on his Australian passport as am I. My Canadian one expired in 2010 and I don't really see the need to renew it since I live in Australia. When we land does he come through the citizens line with me or do we both go through the visitors line?
Stupid question but if you are travelling on an Australian passport how would you go through the citizens line without a current Canadian passport ? Just asking for info plus the restrictions mentioned above re the new ETA process for Canadian citizens with dual citizenship. Interestingly the Australian Government implies dual citizens should leave and return to Australia on Australian passport but once outside use any passport so that sort of clouds things with airlines if you cannot get an ETA on the Australian passport with being a Canadian. Guess its a Canadian passport renewal then and travel with both. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/...al-citizenship

Last edited by PB65; Jan 31st 2016 at 6:14 am.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 12:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I don't remember separate lines at Montreal airport on several arrivals in 2003-04, just one big zig-zagging line.

One thing I do remember is Canadian Donald Sutherland about three people in front of me, in the same line as me, a visitor.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PB65
Stupid question but if you are travelling on an Australian passport how would you go through the citizens line without a current Canadian passport ? Just asking for info plus the restrictions mentioned above re the new ETA process for Canadian citizens with dual citizenship. Interestingly the Australian Government implies dual citizens should leave and return to Australia on Australian passport but once outside use any passport so that sort of clouds things with airlines if you cannot get an ETA on the Australian passport with being a Canadian. Guess its a Canadian passport renewal then and travel with both. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/...al-citizenship
Originally Posted by BristolUK
I must admit I don't remember separate lines at Montreal airport on several arrivals in 2003-04, just one big zig-zagging line.

One thing I do remember is Canadian Donald Sutherland about three people in front of me, in the same line as me, a visitor.
Been a while since been through was making point that without a Canadian passport how would you go through a citizen line with an Australian passport
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:39 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Australian citizens are required to use their Australian passport when exiting or entering Australia.
Been a while since been through was making point that without a Canadian passport how would you go through a citizen line with an Australian passport
I travel on my Australian one because I carry my expired Canadian one and my birth certificate from Ontario which make me a Canadian citizen. A passport doesn't make one a citizen; it's only a travel document issued to citizens.

I have always entered Canada with my Australian passport and just shown the expired Canadian one at the immigration counter. The OH has his ETA already (I applied for that before we booked tickets), so he's all good. It's just which line we're meant to go to and in fact can we go together?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting question Dorothy, will the airline allow you to board on an Aussie passport, no Canadian ETA and an expired Canadian passport?

Let us know how you get on.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, it is up to you what you think and if you think the documentation you will be carrying will be sufficient, post March 15. As entry requirements for Canada are changing, as I understand it, airline staff will be checking all travellers destined for Canada on their system to see what documents are required and will get a board/no board message on this basis.

Perimeter security and economic competitiveness - Interactive Advance Passenger Information (IAPI)

S
Old Jan 31st 2016, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Interesting question Dorothy, will the airline allow you to board on an Aussie passport, no Canadian ETA and an expired Canadian passport?

Let us know how you get on.
This is exactly the point the rules are changing from march 15 so if travelling on an Australian passport need an ETA as the airline is obliged to ensure documentation is complete and unlikely to them an expired Canadian passport and birth certificate will mean much as far as the rules go. As Canadian citizens cannot have an ETA then the solution really is a new passport. Although not speaking from direct experience generally family units use the same immigration line in most countries even with different passports.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

I entered Dorothy's situation into Timatic, which is the database the airlines use.

Destination country: Canada
Departure/Airport: Australia
Nationality: Canada
Passport: Normal
Expiry Date: 1 January 2010
Residence Country: Australia

The result:

Conditional, The traveler will need to hold travel documents as detailed below.

Canada - Destination Passport
Passport required.

Document validity rules:

Passports and other documents accepted for entry issued to nationals of Canada must be valid on arrival.
Given that she can't fly to Canada on her Australian passport (because she does not qualify for an ETA), it does look like she won't make it onto the flight.

Time to renew that Canadian passport?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 10:04 pm
Still alive

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'm going to have to firk out for a new passport whether I like it or not.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 11:14 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Same rules for Australia. Any non-Australian citizen will require a visit to board a flight to Australia and since Australian citizens cannot be issued with a visa for Australia then a valid Australian passport is a de facto requirement for any Australian citizen wishing to board a flight to Oz whether they have other evidence of their citizenship or not.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 3:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Same rules for Australia. Any non-Australian citizen will require a visit to board a flight to Australia and since Australian citizens cannot be issued with a visa for Australia then a valid Australian passport is a de facto requirement for any Australian citizen wishing to board a flight to Oz whether they have other evidence of their citizenship or not.
Interestingly enough though, we do have several psters who have had to travel at short notice - sudden deaths in the family - just after getting citizenship, and they haven't had time to get a passport Takes longer at check-in as their citizenship has to be verified with DIBP (Immigration) but they have eventually managed to travel with a UK passport, expired visa, and citizenship certificate. I wonder if Canada will have the same allowance made?
Old Feb 1st 2016, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Interestingly enough though, we do have several psters who have had to travel at short notice - sudden deaths in the family - just after getting citizenship, and they haven't had time to get a passport Takes longer at check-in as their citizenship has to be verified with DIBP (Immigration) but they have eventually managed to travel with a UK passport, expired visa, and citizenship certificate. I wonder if Canada will have the same allowance made?
Compassionate reasons sometimes always have some exception processes where airlines and surprisingly Governments go the extra mile, might be a stretch here though for a May flight.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 6:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Compassionate reasons sometimes always have some exception processes where airlines and surprisingly Governments go the extra mile, might be a stretch here though for a May flight.
Yeah, I don't think that one would work for Dorothy, I was just conjecturing on whether Canada would follow the same tack as Australia and allow for 'panoc situations!'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.