Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Probably repeat question about OHIP

Probably repeat question about OHIP

Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Question Probably repeat question about OHIP

I've read a bunch of old posts about when you are eligible to apply for OHIP. My understanding of it is that you can't apply for it until you have taken up residency, and you have to be a resident for 3 months before it kicks in. The previous posts seem to list the only shortfall in that you have to provide a Canadian address, which you don't have as a non-resident.

We'll be living with my brother for the first few months while we get settled, so we will have a permanent address in Ontario immediately. I already get stuff sent there for me from my Canadian bank, etc. I'm not trying to fiddle the system, but can we apply for OHIP when we land in May (at the same time as applying for my husband's SIN), return to the UK, and be covered when we return finally in October? I doubt this is possible, seems too much of a fiddle, and if not then we will definitely get private insurance to cover the three months, but I thought there's no harm in asking!

Thanks.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:25 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probably repeat question about OHIP

Hi

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
I've read a bunch of old posts about when you are eligible to apply for OHIP. My understanding of it is that you can't apply for it until you have taken up residency, and you have to be a resident for 3 months before it kicks in. The previous posts seem to list the only shortfall in that you have to provide a Canadian address, which you don't have as a non-resident.

We'll be living with my brother for the first few months while we get settled, so we will have a permanent address in Ontario immediately. I already get stuff sent there for me from my Canadian bank, etc. I'm not trying to fiddle the system, but can we apply for OHIP when we land in May (at the same time as applying for my husband's SIN), return to the UK, and be covered when we return finally in October? I doubt this is possible, seems too much of a fiddle, and if not then we will definitely get private insurance to cover the three months, but I thought there's no harm in asking!

Thanks.
Nice try, no cigar. Once you take up actual residence, then the 3 month waiting period starts.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Nice try, no cigar. Once you take up actual residence, then the 3 month waiting period starts.
That's what I figured, thanks for confirming
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
That's what I figured, thanks for confirming
Also you are required to be physically in ONTARIO for five out of the first six months: if you go out of province for more than 30 days the three month waiting period starts again.

K.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 2:39 am
Waiting for Passport Back

bm71 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at the OHIP office today getting my stuff done and I was told by them that coverage begins 3 months after landing if you do not leave the province. Also you can use a bank statement as proof of residence but it has to be dated after the time of your arrival.

BM71