Principal applicant.

Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:28 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
rgilbert's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 448
rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold
Default Principal applicant.

Another question for the forum. Based on the points system both me and my husband are eligible to apply as skilled workers. I don't know whether we are supposed to apply as separate applicants or whether one of us is to be the principle applicant with the other as a spouse. If this is the case I assume it makes sense for the one with the most points to apply as the principle.

I have a PG Diploma which is higher than a bachelors degree but lower than a masters, and I also have a BA degree. Does this count as 2 or more university degrees at the Bachelors level (22 points) or one university degree (20 points). Sorry if this is really obvious but I just want to make sure I interpret the forms correctly.

Thanks
Rgilbert
rgilbert is offline  
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:29 pm
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Principal applicant.

One of you will be a principal applicant and the other one a dependent spouse.

If you have 2 degrees on Bachelor's level or better but below Master's and at least 15 years of full time (or full time equivalent) of education then you'll get 22 points in Education factor.


Originally Posted by rgilbert
Another question for the forum. Based on the points system both me and my husband are eligible to apply as skilled workers. I don't know whether we are supposed to apply as separate applicants or whether one of us is to be the principle applicant with the other as a spouse. If this is the case I assume it makes sense for the one with the most points to apply as the principle.

I have a PG Diploma which is higher than a bachelors degree but lower than a masters, and I also have a BA degree. Does this count as 2 or more university degrees at the Bachelors level (22 points) or one university degree (20 points). Sorry if this is really obvious but I just want to make sure I interpret the forms correctly.

Thanks
Rgilbert
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:42 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 9
risc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Principal applicant.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
One of you will be a principal applicant and the other one a dependent spouse.

If you have 2 degrees on Bachelor's level or better but below Master's and at least 15 years of full time (or full time equivalent) of education then you'll get 22 points in Education factor.
Mr Miller - My mom has 12 years of school - 7 years elementary, 4 years secondary, 1 year tertiary. It was a 2 year course but she didnt finish because she got married. If kindergarten/preschool is counted, it would give her 13 years. She's thinking of taking either a 1 year chef/cooking course or a 1 year hotel and restaurant management course, is this considered a trade certificate? What points can she score for education given this?
risc1 is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:52 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Principal applicant.

Kindergarten or pre-school don't count, incomplete education programs don't count either.

Trade certificate issued by proper authorities after completion of educational and/or apprenticeship program is a trade certificate.


Originally Posted by risc1
Mr Miller - My mom has 12 years of school - 7 years elementary, 4 years secondary, 1 year tertiary. It was a 2 year course but she didnt finish because she got married. If kindergarten/preschool is counted, it would give her 13 years. She's thinking of taking either a 1 year chef/cooking course or a 1 year hotel and restaurant management course, is this considered a trade certificate? What points can she score for education given this?
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:45 pm
  #5  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Principal applicant.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If you have 2 degrees on Bachelor's level or better but below Master's and at least 15 years of full time (or full time equivalent) of education then you'll get 22 points in Education factor.
I think the original poster was asking does a bachelors degree + post graduate diploma count as two bachelors level qualifications or just one?


Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:22 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 295
Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Principal applicant.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
One of you will be a principal applicant and the other one a dependent spouse.

If you have 2 degrees on Bachelor's level or better but below Master's and at least 15 years of full time (or full time equivalent) of education then you'll get 22 points in Education factor.
Can I butt in here and ask a question? We have landed now and have PR cards and SIN. When in the eyes of the Canadians do I stop being the principal applicants spouse and become a full person in my own right?

Am I right in assuming that while we have PR and not citizenship that (heaven forbid) anything were to happen to my husband or we split up that we would have to return to the UK?

It would be nice to know that I'm classed as a whole person again and not a dependent spouse!
Colsgirl is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:47 am
  #7  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Principal applicant.

Once you landed you are your own principal PR. If your status hasn't been obtained fraudulently, if you meet residency obligations and not be convicted of any major crime that may result in deportation then your status is safe, regardless what happens to your relationship with former principal applicant in PR visa application.


Originally Posted by Colsgirl
Can I butt in here and ask a question? We have landed now and have PR cards and SIN. When in the eyes of the Canadians do I stop being the principal applicants spouse and become a full person in my own right?

Am I right in assuming that while we have PR and not citizenship that (heaven forbid) anything were to happen to my husband or we split up that we would have to return to the UK?

It would be nice to know that I'm classed as a whole person again and not a dependent spouse!
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:17 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 295
Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Principal applicant.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Once you landed you are your own principal PR. If your status hasn't been obtained fraudulently, if you meet residency obligations and not be convicted of any major crime that may result in deportation then your status is safe, regardless what happens to your relationship with former principal applicant in PR visa application.
WOW, I'm a whole person again - thank you for your information. Nope I haven't obtained anything dishonestly. I have always earned my own money and been my own person and that is the way I like it Must make a note to wind hubby up about not being a dependent spouse any more
Colsgirl is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.