Principal applicant.

Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold
Default Principal applicant.

Another question for the forum. Based on the points system both me and my husband are eligible to apply as skilled workers. I don't know whether we are supposed to apply as separate applicants or whether one of us is to be the principle applicant with the other as a spouse. If this is the case I assume it makes sense for the one with the most points to apply as the principle.

I have a PG Diploma which is higher than a bachelors degree but lower than a masters, and I also have a BA degree. Does this count as 2 or more university degrees at the Bachelors level (22 points) or one university degree (20 points). Sorry if this is really obvious but I just want to make sure I interpret the forms correctly.

Thanks
Rgilbert
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:29 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Principal applicant.

One of you will be a principal applicant and the other one a dependent spouse.

If you have 2 degrees on Bachelor's level or better but below Master's and at least 15 years of full time (or full time equivalent) of education then you'll get 22 points in Education factor.

Originally Posted by rgilbert
Another question for the forum. Based on the points system both me and my husband are eligible to apply as skilled workers. I don't know whether we are supposed to apply as separate applicants or whether one of us is to be the principle applicant with the other as a spouse. If this is the case I assume it makes sense for the one with the most points to apply as the principle.

I have a PG Diploma which is higher than a bachelors degree but lower than a masters, and I also have a BA degree. Does this count as 2 or more university degrees at the Bachelors level (22 points) or one university degree (20 points). Sorry if this is really obvious but I just want to make sure I interpret the forms correctly.

Thanks
Rgilbert
Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

risc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller

If you have 2 degrees on Bachelor's level or better but below Master's and at least 15 years of full time (or full time equivalent) of education then you'll get 22 points in Education factor.
Mr Miller - My mom has 12 years of school - 7 years elementary, 4 years secondary, 1 year tertiary. It was a 2 year course but she didnt finish because she got married. If kindergarten/preschool is counted, it would give her 13 years. She's thinking of taking either a 1 year chef/cooking course or a 1 year hotel and restaurant management course, is this considered a trade certificate? What points can she score for education given this?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:52 pm

Kindergarten or pre-school don't count, incomplete education programs don't count either.

Trade certificate issued by proper authorities after completion of educational and/or apprenticeship program is a trade certificate.

Originally Posted by risc1
Mr Miller - My mom has 12 years of school - 7 years elementary, 4 years secondary, 1 year tertiary. It was a 2 year course but she didnt finish because she got married. If kindergarten/preschool is counted, it would give her 13 years. She's thinking of taking either a 1 year chef/cooking course or a 1 year hotel and restaurant management course, is this considered a trade certificate? What points can she score for education given this?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think the original poster was asking does a bachelors degree + post graduate diploma count as two bachelors level qualifications or just one?

Jeremy
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Can I butt in here and ask a question? We have landed now and have PR cards and SIN. When in the eyes of the Canadians do I stop being the principal applicants spouse and become a full person in my own right?

Am I right in assuming that while we have PR and not citizenship that (heaven forbid) anything were to happen to my husband or we split up that we would have to return to the UK?

It would be nice to know that I'm classed as a whole person again and not a dependent spouse!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 12:47 am

Once you landed you are your own principal PR. If your status hasn't been obtained fraudulently, if you meet residency obligations and not be convicted of any major crime that may result in deportation then your status is safe, regardless what happens to your relationship with former principal applicant in PR visa application.

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
Can I butt in here and ask a question? We have landed now and have PR cards and SIN. When in the eyes of the Canadians do I stop being the principal applicants spouse and become a full person in my own right?

Am I right in assuming that while we have PR and not citizenship that (heaven forbid) anything were to happen to my husband or we split up that we would have to return to the UK?

It would be nice to know that I'm classed as a whole person again and not a dependent spouse!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Once you landed you are your own principal PR. If your status hasn't been obtained fraudulently, if you meet residency obligations and not be convicted of any major crime that may result in deportation then your status is safe, regardless what happens to your relationship with former principal applicant in PR visa application.
WOW, I'm a whole person again - thank you for your information. Nope I haven't obtained anything dishonestly. I have always earned my own money and been my own person and that is the way I like it Must make a note to wind hubby up about not being a dependent spouse any more