Pregnancy and PR application

Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Albertabound82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Pregnancy and PR application

Before people get carried away, this isn't something that currently applies to me, it's just a result of my musings following a friend who, after applying for PR in Australia, fell pregnant and has had a right to-do sorting out an intermediary visa so she can still move with her (Aussie) hubby before the baby arrives.

I know that if you are pregnant or fall pregnant whilst your PR application is processing you have to inform CHC etc and this can cause delays to moving until after baby is born etc. However what happens if you find out *after* you've been granted PR but before you actually move out (since this would be after the application process was fairly complete) - would you then have to stick it out still until after the birth before you could move out, or would you be able to move out whilst pregnant and have little sproglet over in Canada (have to say I'd much rather have kids in Canada, and would be a little bit gutted if it mieant having to delay the move for 9months).

I'm planning on the marriage and kids, little house with picket fence, 2.4 dogs etc etc happening once moved and settled in Canada, but accidents can happen and it's been puzzling me, since all the info I've seen on CIC only mentions the procedures while the application process is happening.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnancy and PR application

The only consideration that might have a bearing on your move is that you are not covered for medical for the first three months. They have no problem with billing you for your checkups, tests and ultrasounds but it might get a bit expensive for you. You might want to check into this further.

Good luck
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zap0ne
The only consideration that might have a bearing on your move is that you are not covered for medical for the first three months. They have no problem with billing you for your checkups, tests and ultrasounds but it might get a bit expensive for you. You might want to check into this further.

Good luck
I have a friend who just moved here with her family, including young daughter who was not born when they got PR, but was when they finally moved here. As far as I understand it, the baby was granted a temporary visa for one year within which time they have to sort out her PR or she will have to leave the country.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:22 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Albertabound82
Before people get carried away, this isn't something that currently applies to me, it's just a result of my musings following a friend who, after applying for PR in Australia, fell pregnant and has had a right to-do sorting out an intermediary visa so she can still move with her (Aussie) hubby before the baby arrives.
Unclear what this "intermediary visa" could be. Australia does not have any such kind of visa.

I know that if you are pregnant or fall pregnant whilst your PR application is processing you have to inform CHC etc and this can cause delays to moving until after baby is born etc.
Only because some (not all) doctors don't like the idea of an x-ray during pregnancy.

However what happens if you find out *after* you've been granted PR but before you actually move out (since this would be after the application process was fairly complete) - would you then have to stick it out still until after the birth before you could move out, or would you be able to move out whilst pregnant and have little sproglet over in Canada
Have the baby born in Canada. No problem with visa etc.

However,
- as someone else has said, in most (not all) provinces, you have a 3 month wait for medical coverage;
- you cannot normally fly after a certain stage of pregnancy.

If your baby arrives after you have a PR visa, but have not landed, that complicates matters. If you have landed, your PR is secure, but (where parents are not Canadian citizens) at least one parent must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor child for PR.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 10:51 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Since you are moving to Alberta (given your username) the public health insurance kicks in from day one for new immigrants. http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/Q...uirements.html (See bottom of page).