PR Visa - stupid question

Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

newfiegurl is on a distinguished road
Default PR Visa - stupid question

Ok, now that OH has his PR visa, what's next? Can he get employment anywhere with the visa or does he have to become a landed PR first?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Visa - stupid question

Hi

Originally Posted by newfiegurl
Ok, now that OH has his PR visa, what's next? Can he get employment anywhere with the visa or does he have to become a landed PR first?
He has to land first.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

He has to land first.
And would he then have to get a new SIN? Or keep using the one he has?
Also, do you think he needs a visitor visa to go to the US border? If we don't actually go into the states, is that ok?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:12 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

And would he then have to get a new SIN? Or keep using the one he has?
He needs a new one, if his existing number begins with 9:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Social..._Number-Canada

Also, do you think he needs a visitor visa to go to the US border? If we don't actually go into the states, is that ok?
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Trip_a...lagpole-Canada

Also see, http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Visa_Waiver_Program
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

The letter that came with his PR Visa says taht he can obtain his PR status in Canada or by leaving Canada. How can he obtain it in Canada? It says to call a number, which I did but that didn't really help much. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The letter that came with his PR Visa says taht he can obtain his PR status in Canada or by leaving Canada. How can he obtain it in Canada? It says to call a number, which I did but that didn't really help much. Does anyone know anything about this?
It's possible, by arranging to go to a CIC office ... did he call the number?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's possible, by arranging to go to a CIC office ... did he call the number?
He called but it was automated and the only option that sounded applicable was the calling service canada for more information on border services, which we'll have to do tomorrow because they're open M-F. I wonder how long it takes to get that appointment! Just when you think the wait is over!
I've also read that in order for him to cross the US border, he would need a visitor visa, because during his last visit to the states (10 years ago), he out-stayed his visa by a few months. To get the appointment for that here is next to impossible. But I've also heard, if you go to the border and tell them you just need to come back out for PR landing, they'll let you do that. Not sure how reliable that is and it's a 7 hour drive to the border to find out.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

When you call that number and it's on the automated section, press "0", and you'll get to talk to someone. They can then book you an appointment at your nearest CIC office, and you'll be able to "land" without having to cross the border.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiton6
When you call that number and it's on the automated section, press "0", and you'll get to talk to someone. They can then book you an appointment at your nearest CIC office, and you'll be able to "land" without having to cross the border.
CIC office or embassy? There aren't too many CIC offices here! Have you done this before kiton6?
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:56 am
JAJ
Retired

CIC office or embassy? There aren't too many CIC offices here! Have you done this before kiton6?
CIC office!

There are no Canadian embassies inside Canada.

CIC has offices in the main cities in Canada but prefers not to say where the addresses are because they do not accept visa applications.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
CIC office!

There are no Canadian embassies inside Canada.

CIC has offices in the main cities in Canada but prefers not to say where the addresses are because they do not accept visa applications.
Ah ok, makes sense...that's why I can't find the offices on their website.
Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out more information from that phone number.
Thanks.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok, makes sense...that's why I can't find the offices on their website.
Guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out more information from that phone number.
Thanks.
look up pnp for the provinces as this will give you the address you need
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nlpnp.ca/contact.html

have a browse on this site it looks like the office is in st john
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by chumley
http://www.nlpnp.ca/contact.html

have a browse on this site it looks like the office is in st john
That is a provincial government office, not a CIC office.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:59 pm
Austin TX

astor is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe if anybody tries to go Canada through US he may be held in airport.Years ago, a fried of mine (with a Canadian PR) decided come to Canada via NY and had to spend enless hours and shipped to Canada from there because she overstayed years ago.I am not sure if this is his plans, but better play safe He can optain his US visa in Toronto or any US consulate in Canada. I see later that he is already in Canada..

Last edited by astor; Apr 26th 2009 at 3:01 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.