PR Visa / Landing

Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Visa / Landing

I have received Passport Request from Buffalo and shall be going there on Thursday to have the visa stamped.
My intention is to land upon my return from US.
Can anyone tell me, what are the documents that I must bring with me in order to land? Correct me if Im wrong:

- Passport with visa.
-Whatever paper the embassy will issue in addition to the visa.
-Current work permit?
-Proof of funds (how much for a single guy like myself? 10K CND would be sufficient I presume? Can I show monies in a Canadian bank but in a different currency or do I have to exchange them?). Btw, I currently on a PNP WP in Canada, am I exempt from the "funds to land" rule? Would a letter from a branch with the balance be sufficient?
-Should I bring my employment contract?
-Do I need any pictures?
- I don't have any "Goods to Follow" as Ive been living in Canada for a very long time. Any form I should prepare to declare that?

Also as about the medicals: I presume I am M2 due to a medical condition that requires medical surveillance while in Canada. Who is going to issue the form? Embassy or the immigration officer at the boarder?

Thanks a lot for any feedback.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: PR Visa / Landing

Anybody?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:43 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarik
Passport with visa.
Yes.

Whatever paper the embassy will issue in addition to the visa.
Yes.

Current work permit?
Yes.

Proof of funds (how much for a single guy like myself? 10K CND would be sufficient I presume?
This page of CIC's website states that you need to show that you have the equivalent of $10,601 if you are a single person.

However, the same page states, "You do not have to show that you have these funds if you have arranged employment in Canada."

Now I'm confused. I thought all applicants who applied via the skilled worker route had to have proof of funds, regardless of whether or not they had pre-arranged employment. But CIC's website seems to be saying otherwise.

Also, I don't know to what extent the rules are the same or different for a PNP applicant.

In any case, it sounds as if you have the money. In my opinion, it cannot hurt to take proof that you have it.

Can I show monies in a Canadian bank but in a different currency or do I have to exchange them?).
The money does not have to be in Canadian dollars, and it does not even have to be in a Canadian bank account.

Btw, I currently on a PNP WP in Canada, am I exempt from the "funds to land" rule?
Sorry, as I mentioned above, I don't know.

Would a letter from a branch with the balance be sufficient?
If you have recent bank statements, they should suffice.

Should I bring my employment contract?
I don't know, but if I were you I would take everything with me that is remotely relevant. For example, I also would take documents that demonstrate my academic, trade or other qualifications.

Do I need any pictures?
I assume you sent pictures with your PR application. You don't need pictures now.

I don't have any "Goods to Follow" as Ive been living in Canada for a very long time. Any form I should prepare to declare that?
Sorry, I don't know.

Also as about the medicals: I presume I am M2 due to a medical condition that requires medical surveillance while in Canada. Who is going to issue the form? Embassy or the immigration officer at the boarder?
I don't know. I assume the visa post in Buffalo will need to provide you with some sort of document so that the immigration officer at your port of entry knows about this. Whether or not the immigration officer at your POE will then given you an additional document, I don't know.

I feel my response has not been helpful, and may even have caused confusion, because I don't know the answers to so many of your questions. However, it may help to keep your thread at the top of the page and attract someone who is qualified to answer your questions.
x
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Judy,
Thanks a lot for your reply You are very thoughtful and one of the few people on this board that never leaves my posts unanswered.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: PR Visa / Landing

Hi there,

We landed last month after a trip into the states. We have been here since 2005 on a TWP. Previous posters have mentioned that it's best not to say that you're intending to land to the US immigration officers when you enter the states. Best just to say something like shopping trip etc.

We took just our passports and the paperwork that returned with them. The Canadian immigration officer asked if we had any goods to follow, I just told him that we had been here on a TWP so all our possessions had already arrived.

We weren't asked about proof of funds. And they don't need any photographs.

It was all really easy. We were in and out of the immigration office at Peace Arch in just a few minutes.

Sarah
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:00 am
Just Joined

Maria10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary

Now I'm confused. I thought all applicants who applied via the skilled worker route had to have proof of funds, regardless of whether or not they had pre-arranged employment. But CIC's website seems to be saying otherwise.
Once you have pre-arranged employment there is no need to prove funds, that info has been on the CIC web site for a long time now.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:25 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria10
Once you have pre-arranged employment there is no need to prove funds, that info has been on the CIC web site for a long time now.
Thanks for the memo. In future I'll know.
x
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Maria10 is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem Judy. I think based on this and the new changes (where is that list!), arranged employment seem to be the way to go.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Landed yesterday, very simple process, took about 30 min with all the walking around / taking pictures of the Niagara Falls from the Rainbow bridge
The officer did not even ask for my bank statements. Made me sign COPR in a few places and let me go.
P.S. I thought I was entitled to a bottle of good VQA wine upon landing.... or at least a Canadian flag..... what a disappointment