Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR via Skilled Worker Route or New Canadian Experience Class

PR via Skilled Worker Route or New Canadian Experience Class

Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:17 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR via Skilled Worker Route or New Canadian Experience Class

OK, it's looking likely that I will be able to extend my employment visa for another 2 years and I'm just about ready to put in for my Permanent Residency.

Now given that I will have been resident in Canada for three years come January, and that I will have another 2 years to run on my visa, does anyone have any suggestions. Should I apply through London asap, or wait for the new Canadian Experience application?

Cheers for any help!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Tarik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR via Skilled Worker Route or New Canadian Experience Class

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
OK, it's looking likely that I will be able to extend my employment visa for another 2 years and I'm just about ready to put in for my Permanent Residency.

Now given that I will have been resident in Canada for three years come January, and that I will have another 2 years to run on my visa, does anyone have any suggestions. Should I apply through London asap, or wait for the new Canadian Experience application?

Cheers for any help!
Sarah
I am facing identical dilemma right now. Ive been in Canada since 2001, studied here and worked. Surprisingly, I do not yet qualify to apply through SW route, not enough points. I was going to take the risks though and apply (i would have to go through Kyiv Ukraine).

Now that the Minister announced new CEC stream, I am waiting rather impatiently for the instructions to appear. Hopefully within the next month or two. They allocated 10,000 PR visas specifically for 2008 CEC stream.

In your case, given the + LMO, arranged employment and such, I do not think it really matters much. Your case will be expedited either way (and you can also apply through Buffalo, I think). But if it is not urgent, Id suggest to wait for a month or two, until CIC issues their guides and documentation. And than you can decide.

Hope it helps. best of luck.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:55 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
Should I apply through London asap, or wait for the new Canadian Experience application?
Sarah,

If you fully qualify now, have Arranged Employment documented as required and can submit 100% conclusive application package to London then why wait for the unknown? Apply now and you'll be a PR before next summer ends.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

I'm in a similar situation to you, and I agree with Andrew. If the current system works for you, go ahead. Better the devil you know ;-)

I have a related Q.. if you have arranged employment in Canada, can you used the simplified process? I know I've seen on here that you can, but the CIC website states: 'you may apply through Simplified Process if: * you do not have arranged employment and * you do not currently have a temporary resident status in Canada as a worker or student' therefore suggesting you must do the full application? Can somebody clarify?
Old Dec 5th 2007, 11:50 am

The short answer is not. The longer answer is as follows:

Simplified process is not an PR application yet, it is just a way for CIC to get processing fees and load of applicants willing to wait years for their turn to come, while at present all processing and visa quotas priorities are given to applications with arranged employment and PNP's. This way CIC assures steady supply of immigrants in periods of economic downturns when finding employment in Canada will be almost impossible.

Applicants who submitted simplified form will be asked later to submit full, standard application package with all forms and required evidence anyway and only after they do it the real process will start.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Lagos22 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently in the same situation. I don't know what to do really. I graduated from a Canadian university with a degree and I am currently working for a Canadian company. I am fully qualified to apply at Buffalo with Arranged Employment and I score 79 points but I am not sure what to do.

I am thinking of waiting for CEC but then I don't know if I will be able to get my PR in a less time than a buffalo application.

What does the experts think? I would appreciate it if you can comment with as much info as you know.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 3:20 pm

The details (devil is always in details) of Canadian Experience class are not published yet. We also have no idea when program will be implemented nor how long really processing will take.

But based on 2008 immigration plan presented by CIC to Parliament showing 10,000 to 12,000 visas target in CE class for 2008 we may assume that it has to be implemented early enough to reach the targeted number of visas issued by the end of 2008 and that processing time is planned to be well under 12 months (of course until another backlog starts building up, just like it happened with in-Canada spouse/common-law partner class).

On the other hand we know that Buffalo's processing time ranges from under 12 months to about 18 months for well prepared and conclusively documented applications granted interview waiver and not subject to long security check.

So, it is a choice between what you know and what you don't know. Of course if you need visa to US in case interview is required and you don't have one you may be forced to beg for transfer of your file to visa post processing applications from your country.

Difficult to make choices. Of course if you get professional assistance of experienced Authorized Representative then your Buffalo application has much, much greater chances for interview waiver than in case you take DIY route.