Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Timelines From TWP & SOWPs.....?

PR Timelines From TWP & SOWPs.....?

Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Timelines From TWP & SOWPs.....?

Hi Guys,

As I plan to go to Canada initially on a TWP I was trying to find out how soon I could apply for permanent residency by looking through the "Wiki" link on here (see- some people do use it)

I never did get to a solid answer (although something sticks in my head about 12 months - is this accurate?) but whilst using the wiki I noticed this abstract regarding SOWP`s:

If you come to Canada on a work permit and your job is listed in Skill Level 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification Matrix, your spouse will be able to work through the Spousal Program. That is, he/she will be able to apply for Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP). He/she will be able to apply for any kind of job in Canada, and the employer offering him/her the job with not have to secure an LMO from HRSDC. But your spouse should be aware that it will take him/her a couple of months to get as SOWP if he/she applies in Canada. For that reason, it would be better if he/she lodged his/her work permit application with yours, before he/she came to Canada.

This caught my eye as it suggests it may prevent my wife from working unless we (as they suggest) lodged her work permit at the same time as mine

Has anyone else done this?

My company have their own lawyers and they are sorting out my TWP for me - I have just received the police clearance I was waiting for and am about to forward it along with the other documents that have been requested - would it be OK for me to ask if they could include a SOWP at the same time like the article suggests?

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 10th 2013, 10:37 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Timelines From TWP & SOWPs.....?

Thet aren't sorting out your work permit, they are sorting out your lmo and other documentation to enable you to get your work permit.

You and your wife when you land in Calgary will go through immigration and advise that you want to apply for a temp work permit and your wife a sowp, you'll both get these at the same time then.

Regarding pr it totally depends on whether you qualify to apply for pr. If you do then as nikki said in another thread, you can apply straight way, I think what you are referring to is applying for pr via the CEC which states you need at least a year behind you of Canadian work.

If you want to apply via a pnp or something you can apply straight away, but you do need to see if you qualify first.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Also just want to mention if your wife plans on working with Children or in the Healthcare a medical will be required and a TWP will not be issued until the medical is done
Old Feb 10th 2013, 3:21 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Also just want to mention if your wife plans on working with Children or in the Healthcare a medical will be required and a TWP will not be issued until the medical is done
And if she does then you cannot get a sowp at poe, this would have to be applied for via snail mail in the UK as the med results need to be accessed by the IO in London (UK)
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Thet aren't sorting out your work permit, they are sorting out your lmo and other documentation to enable you to get your work permit.

You and your wife when you land in Calgary will go through immigration and advise that you want to apply for a temp work permit and your wife a sowp, you'll both get these at the same time then.

Regarding pr it totally depends on whether you qualify to apply for pr. If you do then as nikki said in another thread, you can apply straight way, I think what you are referring to is applying for pr via the CEC which states you need at least a year behind you of Canadian work.

If you want to apply via a pnp or something you can apply straight away, but you do need to see if you qualify first.
I see - I think I may have got mixed up in my abbreviations here

I initially sent off some notarised documents for what I believe was an IEC application, I assumed if successful this would get me a positive LMO and then I would forward some more documents (police clearance etc) to the company lawyers who would organise the TWP that would be waiting for me at the airport - this notion was somewhat backed up by this (received in an email from the company)

"and when the work permit documents have been prepared by our lawyer."

So, in reality the first batch of documents were for the IEC application, if this was then favourable then it, along with various other documents (police clearance etc) that I forwarded today will be used by the company lawyers to generate a positive LMO that I can then produce at point of entry to claim a TWP (and hopefully one for my wife as well)

Regarding the PR I am not sure what routes are available to me as I will initially be on a TWP - when I was looking at Australia I was going to go on a 457 visa (like the Canadian TWP) and I had to be there for 2 years before I could apply to convert that into a PR - Are you saying that I need to be in Canada for 1 year before applying?

Cheers Mandy
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Nah, those wouldnt be her lines of work but thanks for the info
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Are you saying that I need to be in Canada for 1 year before applying?
Depending on route for PR will depend on how long you have to wait. Some routes allow you to apply straight away as long as you meet requirements
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Depending on route for PR will depend on how long you have to wait. Some routes allow you to apply straight away as long as you meet requirements

I see - where can I check on that (I have looked on the wikis on here but to no avail)?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:15 am

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see - where can I check on that (I have looked on the wikis on here but to no avail)?
Which province are you heading for?
They all have different provincial nomination routes to PR, which is one way.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

I`m heading to Alberta
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:28 am

fabretti18 is an unknown quantity at this point

I`m heading to Alberta
Have you had a look at this yet?http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...ting/ainp.aspx
gives you something to go on