Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR is taking too long! Are we the only ones in this particular position?

PR is taking too long! Are we the only ones in this particular position?

Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Rickie and Jo is on a distinguished road
Default PR is taking too long! Are we the only ones in this particular position?

Hi all

Firstly I will apologize for this long post but the Canadian government do take their sweet ass time when it suits them. We have been in Calgary for 3 1/2 years and in that time many obstacles have been put in our way one way or another.

1- December 2005 landed in Canada
2- October 2006 first Permanent Residence sent to London UK
3- April-May 2007 various agencies within CHC trying to locate my file
4- June-July 2007 confirmed by CHC London file is lost, no apology
5- August-September 2007 work/study permits have to be renewed before the 31st October 2007 before we can re-apply for PR (cost $800.00)
6- Had to compile all necessary original documentation from the UK, not notarized as advised by lawyer this wasn't necessary
7- June 2008 sent our second PR file to Buffalo NY as per our lawyer
8- August 2008 bank draft cashed
9- April 2009 PR file transferred from Buffalo NY to Los Angeles CA

Our main concern now is that our work/study permits expire on 31 Oct 2009 and we have been told to renew with Vegreville 72 days before this date which will be in August 2009,(again having to spend $800.00). In this economic climate what are the odds on receiving favourable LMO's? I am a Machinist for the oil & gas industry and have been working at the same company since I came to Canada. My company are labelling me as an essential worker but will this carry any weight with HRSDC in receiving my LMO. My wife is also contributing to the economy by way of full time employment. The eldest of my four children has completed high school and cannot work until he gets PR (he doesnt want to go to post secondary education. My 15 year old son is going into grade 11 this is a critical time education wise for him, the same for my 2 girls aged 13 and 11 who have settled down and I do not want to disrupt them again.

If I do not receive another LMO what happens then? Can I appeal? If it turns out to be totally bad news and we can't stay in Canada how long do you have to get your affairs in order?

Many thanks
Rickie & Jo
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice
Default Re: PR is taking too long! Are we the only ones in this particular position?

Originally Posted by Rickie and Jo
Hi all

Firstly I will apologize for this long post but the Canadian government do take their sweet ass time when it suits them. We have been in Calgary for 3 1/2 years and in that time many obstacles have been put in our way one way or another.

1- December 2005 landed in Canada
2- October 2006 first Permanent Residence sent to London UK
3- April-May 2007 various agencies within CHC trying to locate my file
4- June-July 2007 confirmed by CHC London file is lost, no apology
5- August-September 2007 work/study permits have to be renewed before the 31st October 2007 before we can re-apply for PR (cost $800.00)
6- Had to compile all necessary original documentation from the UK, not notarized as advised by lawyer this wasn't necessary
7- June 2008 sent our second PR file to Buffalo NY as per our lawyer
8- August 2008 bank draft cashed
9- April 2009 PR file transferred from Buffalo NY to Los Angeles CA

Our main concern now is that our work/study permits expire on 31 Oct 2009 and we have been told to renew with Vegreville 72 days before this date which will be in August 2009,(again having to spend $800.00). In this economic climate what are the odds on receiving favourable LMO's? I am a Machinist for the oil & gas industry and have been working at the same company since I came to Canada. My company are labelling me as an essential worker but will this carry any weight with HRSDC in receiving my LMO. My wife is also contributing to the economy by way of full time employment. The eldest of my four children has completed high school and cannot work until he gets PR (he doesnt want to go to post secondary education. My 15 year old son is going into grade 11 this is a critical time education wise for him, the same for my 2 girls aged 13 and 11 who have settled down and I do not want to disrupt them again.

If I do not receive another LMO what happens then? Can I appeal? If it turns out to be totally bad news and we can't stay in Canada how long do you have to get your affairs in order?

Many thanks
Rickie & Jo
That's quite a story! I can't help you really, only to say that I know someone here that is awaiting PR since last year. They went down the PNP route (now AINP), had their medicals in Sept 08, file transferred to Seattle and still nothing! Have you looked at Trackitt.com where others are recording their timelines? That might give you an indication of time.

http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers

I hope it all works out for you
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

noolan has a brilliant futurenoolan has a brilliant futurenoolan has a brilliant futurenoolan has a brilliant futurenoolan has a brilliant futurenoolan has a brilliant future
Default Re: PR is taking too long! Are we the only ones in this particular position?

Originally Posted by Lloydies
That's quite a story! I can't help you really, only to say that I know someone here that is awaiting PR since last year. They went down the PNP route (now AINP), had their medicals in Sept 08, file transferred to Seattle and still nothing! Have you looked at Trackitt.com where others are recording their timelines? That might give you an indication of time.

http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers

I hope it all works out for you
Hi,
Applied in oct 2005. meds reached london in sep 2008, waiting since.
Got reply in Feb, Background decision awaiting. End of feb, asked to submit Immigrant summary and supp information form. CAIPS bring forward date was 9th June........But got another letter last month to submit updated pc, and Immigrant summary form.......sent them 30th june....
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Sorry to hear your situation, that's really stressful (we went through something similar last year, and it's not easy when your entire life in Canada depends on whether or not you can get an extended work permit whilst waiting for PR).

If you are refused an LMO then you have the option of appeal, and I think at which case you can put forward the majority of info you have presented above. I can't say whether or not you would get a new LMO, as I'm not an expert or an officer, but I think that with the weight of evidence you have plus being here for all these years you'd have a good case in your favour. It really all depends on the officer who makes the call.

Just to add: if you were refused a new permit, you'd have to leave Canada by the end of your current work permit, although I hope it does not come to that.

Last edited by kiton6; Jun 15th 2009 at 9:55 am.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your comments, I am wondering if any one who knows the system well would be able to put any thoughts to how we proceed to get things moving before I have to spend $800.00 when we hopefully recieve our PR, many thanks.

Rickie & Jo
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

kiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant futurekiton6 has a brilliant future

Have you contacted the office in L.A. or Buffalo to explain your current situation, and try to get a timeline from them?
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:03 am
Just Joined

Yes we did contact Buffalo and were told it was within timelines so there is nothing they can do. According to our lawyer now that it has been transferred to LA quite possibly for an interview, all timelines go out of the window and are not applicable, also the letter from LA informing us of the transfer said not to contact them within 90 days of the date of the letter but there was no date on the letter!!!
Frustrating eh!!!
Jo
Old Jun 25th 2009, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi All

We have also been to PM Stephen Harpers consituancy office at Glenmore Landing as we live in his riding (SW) Calgary but we have had no news regarding our new application, they did ask us to provide evidence of 1st file sent/signed for,telephone call from Ottawa about lost file etc, we passed this info on and they still cant help. what do we have to bl**dy do? My eldest son who has left school a year ago (18) still cannot work and on top of that the govt have reduced our child allowance by $130.00 a month now that he is 18.

any help would be appreciated as our Canadian immigration lawyer does not have any answers too!!!!!!!

Many thanks

Rickie & Jo
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

marielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to allmarielawson is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rickie and Jo
Hi All

We have also been to PM Stephen Harpers consituancy office at Glenmore Landing as we live in his riding (SW) Calgary but we have had no news regarding our new application, they did ask us to provide evidence of 1st file sent/signed for,telephone call from Ottawa about lost file etc, we passed this info on and they still cant help. what do we have to bl**dy do?
Rickie and Jo,

Your situation is very painful but unfortunately that is the way CIC works. They are slow and lazy people, nothing is urgent, never a reason to hurry/worry. They are the typical well paid bureaucrats that don't worry about others, never mind we pay their salaries with our hard earned money turned into taxes.

I strongly recommend you to insist not only with Harper's office but also with other MPs available in your area. Harper is too busy trying to survive (politically) to take care of other issues that honestly don't matter to him.

All the best and don't dismay, I am sure that in the near future this situation will be remembered as a nightmare.

Marie