PR Status Update

Old Nov 1st 2016, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Status Update

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i did all this last year and got travel documents so I gave immigration all my proof this time last year..since then my PR card has expired as has the temporary visa they put in my passport..and has my old passport which ran out earlier in the year so now have a new one...I am assuming immigration in London will have a record of my application and issuing me travel documents last year...my circumstances haven't changed so could I reapply and refer to my previous application? or is that too simple?
I'm as confused as everyone else .

Let's see if we can simplify:

If you count *backwards* from today's date, how many days have you physically been present in Canada in the last 5 years?

When you mention "travel documents", do you mean prtd? & did you apply for & receive that because your PR card was expired?

Last edited by Shirtback; Nov 1st 2016 at 7:18 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:31 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

its simple really..i landed in April 2008 to activate my visa..i re-landed in January 2010 I got my PR CARD in April 2010 and it expired in Dec 2015 by which time I had been back in the UK for 18 months. I lived continuously in Canada from January 12 2010 until 28th April 2014
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

its simple really..i landed in April 2008 to activate my visa..i re-landed in January 2010 I got my PR CARD in April 2010 and it expired in Dec 2015 by which time I had been back in the UK for 18 months. I lived continuously in Canada from January 12 2010 until 28th April 2014
This is also simple. On the day you arrive back in Canada CBSA will go back 5 yrs.
If you meet the 730 day residency obligation your PR status is valid. If you don't meet the 730 day obligation you can be reported for failing to meet the 730 day obligation. Now how you get back to Canada without a valid PR card is another matter entirely.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 11:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so assuming no time out of Canada between Jan 2010 and April 2014 (holidays, business trips etc) then it sounds like you're ok for now, and as a rough guide you'll need to be back in Canada by April 2017 at the latest, as suggested by Novo. But that would then mean you couldn't leave Canada at all for the next couple of years, so better to go much sooner if you can to give yourself some leeway.
Old Nov 10th 2016, 11:15 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Hi me again..im just filling in the forms for the PR travel documents...seems it has changed from last year...it states number of days spent in Canada but no longer states number of days spent outside Canada..but does ask for your SIN number to check your tax returns as confirmation of dates in Canada?..is this because CIC can not prove how many days you have been outside of Canada as it seems they do not tack or check when you left or returned?..is this correct?
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi me again..im just filling in the forms for the PR travel documents...seems it has changed from last year...it states number of days spent in Canada but no longer states number of days spent outside Canada..but does ask for your SIN number to check your tax returns as confirmation of dates in Canada?..is this because CIC can not prove how many days you have been outside of Canada as it seems they do not tack or check when you left or returned?..is this correct?
Think about it. Isn't it easier for CIC to ask how many days spent in Canada rather than outside of Canada? Remember the onus is on you to prove you meet the residency obligation. Much easier for CIC to check on how many days spent in Canada should they suspect the person is lying.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:09 am
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Think about it. Isn't it easier for CIC to ask how many days spent in Canada rather than outside of Canada? Remember the onus is on you to prove you meet the residency obligation. Much easier for CIC to check on how many days spent in Canada should they suspect the person is lying.
it make sense..just the old form asked you to state how many days you had spent outside Canada in the last 5 years and then subtracted that from the number of days you were in Canada... I have put my address in and dates I lived there and it totals 895 days...during that time I spent approx. 21 days out of Canada for Xmas 2011 & 12 but there is no where on the form anymore to put that in?
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it make sense..just the old form asked you to state how many days you had spent outside Canada in the last 5 years and then subtracted that from the number of days you were in Canada... I have put my address in and dates I lived there and it totals 895 days...during that time I spent approx. 21 days out of Canada for Xmas 2011 & 12 but there is no where on the form anymore to put that in?
On the new forms its only asking how many days spent in Canada. As long as more than 730 days spent in Canada thats the only number you should be concerned with. Some CIC/CBSA forms can change within months.
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:49 am
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
On the new forms its only asking how many days spent in Canada. As long as more than 730 days spent in Canada thats the only number you should be concerned with. Some CIC/CBSA forms can change within months.
what I am having to supply is documents from when I lived in Canada.
so I'm including my CRA return for 2012...my T4 for 2014 and my Telus contract agreement from 2013..i assume this will be sufficient proof? plus a copy of my old passport.
Interestingly I notice they don't stamp your passport when you leave just when you return..and being a British passport it is not stamped when I arrived back in the UK
Old Nov 11th 2016, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

what I am having to supply is documents from when I lived in Canada.
so I'm including my CRA return for 2012...my T4 for 2014 and my Telus contract agreement from 2013..i assume this will be sufficient proof? plus a copy of my old passport.
Interestingly I notice they don't stamp your passport when you leave just when you return..and being a British passport it is not stamped when I arrived back in the UK
Because when you leave you are not going through Customs. UK officers will normally never stamp a UK passport on entry to the UK vice versa Canadians will not stamp Canadian passports when entering Canada but will stamp any other passport. Now throw in the ABC kiosks and NEXUS and no passports are stamped
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If your travel is only in/out of the UK, you can apply for your UK entry/exit records for the last 5 years by making a UK Subject Access Request. This will provide you with information about dates, flights you took and from where to where.

S
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:06 am
Every day's a school day

Coincidentally I was watching a couple of immigration lawyers talking about this issue...they say it is almost impossible to prove how long somebody has been out of the country as people are not checked as they leave..anyway I will send all my info..fingers crossed for a positive outcome
Old Nov 11th 2016, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coincidentally I was watching a couple of immigration lawyers talking about this issue...they say it is almost impossible to prove how long somebody has been out of the country as people are not checked as they leave..anyway I will send all my info..fingers crossed for a positive outcome
That is about to change once the proposed legislation is passed and kicks in
Canada plans new border exit controls
Entry/Exit Initiative: Enhancing border security and the integrity of immigration programs
Old Nov 12th 2016, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

CIC can ask You to provide proof of your leaving date (airline records/US border record if you left by land, etc).

In addition to FL's post, the requirements for renewing a PR card are different to those for obtaining a prtd.

CIC doesn't ask you to prove how long you've been out of Canada, only how long you've been in-country, during the period in question.

When you apply to renew a PR card, they can & sometimes do - if there's doubt about the 730 days in the last 5 years - require additional proof other than tax returns & travel dates.

OP seems to be in the clear as of today with 800+ days, but it's not something to mess about with.

Last edited by Shirtback; Nov 12th 2016 at 3:47 am.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 1:16 am
Every day's a school day

Ok quick update..went down on Monday to the visa office in London with all the info and supporting docs for my PRTD... they have text me today saying my passport is ready for collection..i am assuming they have approved my PRTD?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.