PR Status for Parent

Old Nov 3rd 2020, 2:57 pm
MUA
Forum Regular

MUA is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile PR Status for Parent

Good Afternoon,

Hope you are all well. Just wanted some advice on my situation. We are a family of 5 (hubby-PR status, me and 3 kids are dual citizens-British and Canadian), we are looking to move to Canada once my son has completed his A levels 2021. My husband will go prior to next summer. I also have my mum living with us as she in her early 70's and has always lived with me as I'm an only child.

My question is that when I was in Canada 1993-1997 I applied for her PR and she got it back in 1994, but then came back to the UK, and I followed her in 1997. She was not issued a PR card at that time. Now that we are looking to move back, I would like her to move with us. Would she need to renounce her PR status? If she were to do that, can she still come on an eTA and once we are there are we able to apply again for her PR or can she apply for a PRTD? I know this is the case for spouses but I'm not sure if this is the same for parents. She has been living with me for all this time. Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mua
Old Nov 3rd 2020, 5:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Status for Parent

Originally Posted by MUA
Good Afternoon,

Hope you are all well. Just wanted some advice on my situation. We are a family of 5 (hubby-PR status, me and 3 kids are dual citizens-British and Canadian), we are looking to move to Canada once my son has completed his A levels 2021. My husband will go prior to next summer. I also have my mum living with us as she in her early 70's and has always lived with me as I'm an only child.

My question is that when I was in Canada 1993-1997 I applied for her PR and she got it back in 1994, but then came back to the UK, and I followed her in 1997. She was not issued a PR card at that time. Now that we are looking to move back, I would like her to move with us. Would she need to renounce her PR status? If she were to do that, can she still come on an eTA and once we are there are we able to apply again for her PR or can she apply for a PRTD? I know this is the case for spouses but I'm not sure if this is the same for parents. She has been living with me for all this time. Your guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mua
She would need to renounce her PR status before being able to reapply for PR, yes. She can't get a PRTD as she hasn't met the residency obligation - spouses can because living with a Canadian citizen spouse counts as time spent inside Canada for residency obligation purposes. She also can't move permanently without a visa allowing her to do so, although she can visit on an ETA.

How would your mother propose to get PR? Will she definitely qualify for a visa route?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 3rd 2020 at 5:19 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:27 am
MUA
Forum Regular

Smile Re: PR Status for Parent

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
She would need to renounce her PR status before being able to reapply for PR, yes. She can't get a PRTD as she hasn't met the residency obligation - spouses can because living with a Canadian citizen spouse counts as time spent inside Canada for residency obligation purposes. She also can't move permanently without a visa allowing her to do so, although she can visit on an ETA.

How would your mother propose to get PR? Will she definitely qualify for a visa route?
Thank you Christmasoompa for your quick response. I'm hoping that I will be able to apply for a Supervisa once we are there, and mum can visit on an ETA in the meantime.

Regards
MUA
Old Nov 4th 2020, 7:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MUA
Thank you Christmasoompa for your quick response. I'm hoping that I will be able to apply for a Supervisa once we are there, and mum can visit on an ETA in the meantime.
Just be aware of two things with the supervisa - one is that she'll need proof of ties to her home country to show that she'll return there, and if she lives with you and has no home of her own, and her whole family is in Canada, that could be tricky. You'll also need to meet the LICO amount with Canadian income, so you won't be able to apply straight away or before you move, you may have to factor in some time with her in the UK whilst you're in Canada.

HTH.

Old Nov 5th 2020, 11:52 am
MUA
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just be aware of two things with the supervisa - one is that she'll need proof of ties to her home country to show that she'll return there, and if she lives with you and has no home of her own, and her whole family is in Canada, that could be tricky. You'll also need to meet the LICO amount with Canadian income, so you won't be able to apply straight away or before you move, you may have to factor in some time with her in the UK whilst you're in Canada.

HTH.
Yes she has a property here, plus we will not be selling our house straightaway either.
Thanks again
Mua
Old Nov 5th 2020, 12:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by MUA
Yes she has a property here, plus we will not be selling our house straightaway either.
Thanks again
Mua
Fab. That will help with the proof of ties, but also if she moves in to that house whilst you go ahead to Canada and wait until you've been there long enough to sponsor her, then she'll have bills etc in her name which will also help with the supervisa application.

Good luck with it.