Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR spousal sponsorhip outside Canada

PR spousal sponsorhip outside Canada

Old Jun 22nd 2021, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR spousal sponsorhip outside Canada

Originally Posted by Sunnybrae
So, once I have the police checks for my girls, do I just resend the application with a covering letter or print off new forms to have up to date dates on the forms?
You start all over again with fresh forms (make sure they are the latest versions). Make sure your police certs are either still in date (unlikely) or get new ones.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
You start all over again with fresh forms (make sure they are the latest versions). Make sure your police certs are either still in date (unlikely) or get new ones.
That's what I thought, thanks. I need to have a refresh of it all but I'm wondering do I now include my eldest who turned 22 in March? She's still a dependent as she's at Uni but if I don't need to include her and leave her off the application, I'm concerned that CIC may have made notes on my rejected application and wonder where she has gone?

I wish there was a phone number and you could talk to someone at their offices - ho hum
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I need to have a refresh of it all but I'm wondering do I now include my eldest who turned 22 in March? She's still a dependent as she's at Uni but if I don't need to include her and leave her off the application,
No. She is not a dependant as defined by IRCC, so you cannot sponsor her. IRCC definition for spousal sponsorship is:

Dependent children

Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
  • they’re under 22 years old
  • they don’t have a spouse or common law partner
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
  • they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22
With the exception of age, your dependent child must continue to meet these requirements until we finish processing your application.
See here for official link (about halfway down the page): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#dependant

So unless she is "unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition" then she does not qualify as a dependant.

I'm concerned that CIC may have made notes on my rejected application and wonder where she has gone?
No. IRCC sending all the paperwork back to you means you did not make it as far as getting entered onto any system, so they will not have retained any record. That's why you have to start afresh as it were.
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Sunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond reputeSunnybrae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
No. She is not a dependant as defined by IRCC, so you cannot sponsor her. IRCC definition for spousal sponsorship is:

Dependent children

Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
  • they’re under 22 years old
  • they don’t have a spouse or common law partner
Children 22 years old or older qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:
  • they are unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition
  • they have depended on their parents for financial support since before the age of 22
With the exception of age, your dependent child must continue to meet these requirements until we finish processing your application.
See here for official link (about halfway down the page): https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#dependant

So unless she is "unable to financially support themselves because of a mental or physical condition" then she does not qualify as a dependant.

No. IRCC sending all the paperwork back to you means you did not make it as far as getting entered onto any system, so they will not have retained any record. That's why you have to start afresh as it were.
Ok, many thanks, I think they must have backtracked as they have deleted a reference which I can make out if held up to the light, it's XF000....... on the IMM008 form and paper receipt.

I think I'll play safe and complete new forms without elder daughter but send a covering letter explaining why she is no longer a dependent. And also mention and return the letter they just sent me that mentions her and also send them a police check for her, even though it's not needed but it may just save a future query if I am somewhere on their system.

Hope that makes sense.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 12:42 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, many thanks, I think they must have backtracked as they have deleted a reference which I can make out if held up to the light, it's XF000....... on the IMM008 form and paper receipt.

I think I'll play safe and complete new forms without elder daughter but send a covering letter explaining why she is no longer a dependent. And also mention and return the letter they just sent me that mentions her and also send them a police check for her, even though it's not needed but it may just save a future query if I am somewhere on their system.

Hope that makes sense.
XF is the Family Class Reference.

Was your eldest under the age of 22 at the time that your application was received by Immigration Canada? The age is 'locked in' at the time of receipt.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-children.html

The age of a dependent child, accompanying or non-accompanying, is locked in on the application’s received date Footnote 1. For family class applications, the age of a dependent child is locked in on the date of receipt of the principal applicant’s complete permanent residence application. A complete permanent residence application contains all of the items in the document checklist for the specific category, which includes proof of payment of the correct processing fees.
Old Jun 23rd 2021, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
XF is the Family Class Reference.

Was your eldest under the age of 22 at the time that your application was received by Immigration Canada? The age is 'locked in' at the time of receipt.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-children.html
She was 21 back in November last year when I sent off the application and turned 22 in March this year. I'm the Principal Applicant and my partner is the Sponsor.

So as they probably have me on their system, I'll leave my eldest on as a dependent and send police check for her, too much info has to be better than too little.

Last edited by Sunnybrae; Jun 23rd 2021 at 7:29 am.