Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR sponsoring a spouse , a little confused!

PR sponsoring a spouse , a little confused!

Old Jan 1st 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

sand grownun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR sponsoring a spouse , a little confused!

Hi everyone, hope you can help with this. My husband, myself and two daughters have permanent resident status, both daughter are completing education in UK. Eldest daughter is getting married in April and will be living with husband and his parents until she graduates in July. She then wishes to come to Canada with husband, should she sponsor him as soon as she gets married and send sponsorship forms to London, or does she come here first and send sponsorship forms to Mississuaga? Can he come with her, but not work until his residency is finalised?
I cannot see them wanting to be split up as soon as they have got married, they have been engaged 4 years, and they have documentation to show they have been boyfriend/girlfriend for past 4 years so hopefully everything will be ok with permanent resident application. Once they come to Canada they will live with us until they can afford housing. Can anyone advise what would be their best procedure to follow and whether they can both come together, my husband and I can support the boyfriend and hopefully daughter will get job straight away.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR sponsoring a spouse , a little confused!

Originally Posted by sand grownun
Hi everyone, hope you can help with this. My husband, myself and two daughters have permanent resident status, both daughter are completing education in UK. Eldest daughter is getting married in April and will be living with husband and his parents until she graduates in July. She then wishes to come to Canada with husband, should she sponsor him as soon as she gets married and send sponsorship forms to London, or does she come here first and send sponsorship forms to Mississuaga? Can he come with her, but not work until his residency is finalised?
I cannot see them wanting to be split up as soon as they have got married, they have been engaged 4 years, and they have documentation to show they have been boyfriend/girlfriend for past 4 years so hopefully everything will be ok with permanent resident application. Once they come to Canada they will live with us until they can afford housing. Can anyone advise what would be their best procedure to follow and whether they can both come together, my husband and I can support the boyfriend and hopefully daughter will get job straight away.

As she is not a Canadian citizen she needs to be living in Canada in order to sponsor a spouse.

Is she still in compliance with the residency obligation for permanent residents?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

sand grownun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi JAJ

Thank you for the reply, forgive me for being stupid but I am sorry I do not completely understand what you mean by in compliance with the residency obligation for permanent residents.

She landed in December as permanent resident and has gone back to UK to complete Master's degree. She has wedding date fixed for April, will graduate in July and then wanted to come to Canada with spouse to live.

From your reply I understand she will have to come to Canada first and then fill in sponsorship, does this paperwork go to London? Can spouse come to, but not work until application is approved? Does this tend to take a long time to complete?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sand grownun
... I am sorry I do not completely understand what you mean by in compliance with the residency obligation for permanent residents.
Residency obligation of permanent residents:
http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/i-2.5/sec28.html
Old Jan 1st 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

seems to me so far so she hasn't breached any PR requirements. it would only be IF she stayed out of Canada for the alloted amount of time needed to maintain her PR that she would be out of status or whatever it is called.

also seems to me..if she landed last dec07` and she is planning on being here next june08~..? then she is still within her PR obligation to maintain it.
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

lolafula will become famous soon enough

hi,

your daughters situation sounds exactly like mine. i also just graduated and got married in uk after maintaining a 4 year relation. I have the PR card but my husband doesnt. unfortunatly if she has a PR card it means that ur daughter has to be present in canada in order to apply only canadian citizens can apply from outside of canada! It is really difficult emotionaly! and i am missing my husband very much

her husband can come to canada and stay here meanwhile but he wont be allowed to work. The process takes about 6 months so i got told. i only submitted my application in december so waiting to hear. It takes about 35 days to be evaluated in the missisaga office then it will be sent to london where it takes 3 to 9 months. For a better overview i suggest u check out the following sights:

### Internet Links/Addresses
1 - Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...fc.asp#sponsor

or visit: www.cic.gc.ca or contact immigrations Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 (8 a.m. - 4 p.m. local time) ###

I hope this helps, good luck. let me know how it goes
Old Jan 2nd 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lolafula
hi,

your daughters situation sounds exactly like mine. i also just graduated and got married in uk after maintaining a 4 year relation. I have the PR card but my husband doesnt. unfortunatly if she has a PR card it means that ur daughter has to be present in canada in order to apply only canadian citizens can apply from outside of canada! It is really difficult emotionaly! and i am missing my husband very much

her husband can come to canada and stay here meanwhile but he wont be allowed to work. The process takes about 6 months so i got told. i only submitted my application in december so waiting to hear. It takes about 35 days to be evaluated in the missisaga office then it will be sent to london where it takes 3 to 9 months. For a better overview i suggest u check out the following sights:

### Internet Links/Addresses
1 - Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...fc.asp#sponsor

or visit: www.cic.gc.ca or contact immigrations Call Centre at 1 888 242-2100 (8 a.m. - 4 p.m. local time) ###

I hope this helps, good luck. let me know how it goes
i know it is little comfort...but believe me when i say...6mths does go fast...time will fly by and before you know it..you will be talking about .~..Wow..has it realy been a year since you landed here..??

i know because i have just done that!!!....it seems a slow go to start with...but it does't take long for it all to come through..and the way they seem to be moving these days they are quite fast.

good luck to you and your husband...