PR Residency Obligations

Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

akash2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Residency Obligations

Obtained my Canadian PR and landed in Aug 2003.

I have been to Canada On/Off and have stayed atleast 2/3 months.
I work for Nortel (which is a Canadian Business) from 1999 in the US and get my paycheck in USD.

Now, do i meet the exception of 2/5 yrs rule by working for a Canadian Business?

If this doesn't work - i am planning to permanently move to Canada in Dec - 2006, where technically i will be short of 2/3 months by Aug 2008 (of 2/5 yrs rule), when my 1st 5 years complete.

Could i transfer from a PR to a Non-Immigrant work visa then if i lose PR status in Aug-2008?

Now, if I applied PR for my wife (i got married last year) - what 2/5 yrs rule will be counted towards her PR? Will she be on a separate count depending on her landing date?

thanks in advance.
Akash
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:03 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Residency Obligations

Originally Posted by akash2005
Obtained my Canadian PR and landed in Aug 2003.

I have been to Canada On/Off and have stayed atleast 2/3 months.
I work for Nortel (which is a Canadian Business) from 1999 in the US and get my paycheck in USD.

Now, do i meet the exception of 2/5 yrs rule by working for a Canadian Business?

If this doesn't work - i am planning to permanently move to Canada in Dec - 2006, where technically i will be short of 2/3 months by Aug 2008 (of 2/5 yrs rule), when my 1st 5 years complete.

Could i transfer from a PR to a Non-Immigrant work visa then if i lose PR status in Aug-2008?

Now, if I applied PR for my wife (i got married last year) - what 2/5 yrs rule will be counted towards her PR? Will she be on a separate count depending on her landing date?

thanks in advance.
Akash

You would have to be employed directly by the Canadian company and not a US subsidiary to be able to benefit from the Canadian employer exception. Your "technical" absence overrun would likely mean that you will have lost your PR status. Obtaining a work visa would require that Nortel get approval of HSRDC to employ a non-resident. You will only be able to sponsor your wife if you are resident in Canada and physically present there.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:27 am
Just Joined

akash2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR Residency Obligations

Nowafter moving to Canada, if I applied PR for my wife (i got married last year i.e. after landing) - what 2/5 yrs rule will be counted towards her PR? Will she be on a separate count depending on her landing date?

Will she be able to travel with me on a visitor visa and stay in Canada- while her application for PR continues in Buffalo (after approval from Missisauga, ON)?

What is the success rate - if one has to apply for a new PR from Scratch - and previous PR got lost due to inadequate physical presence?