PR Renewal & day trips

Old Nov 29th 2016, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Renewal & day trips

Apologies of this has been asked before, but too many PR articles to wade through in search

I am in process of renewing PR. I have made several day trips across the border for petrol etc.

Do I have to declare these on the PR renewal? I have no record of all the trips across, so how should I record them if necessary?

Thanks for any help (predictably the only 'help' isn't any)
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Renewal & day trips

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Apologies of this has been asked before, but too many PR articles to wade through in search

I am in process of renewing PR. I have made several day trips across the border for petrol etc.

Do I have to declare these on the PR renewal? I have no record of all the trips across, so how should I record them if necessary?

Thanks for any help (predictably the only 'help' isn't any)
If only gone for a few hours then they are not counted as days outside of Canada.
Its trips exceeding 24 hours that are counted.

From the CIC ENF 23 manual for calculating days present in Canada
For the purpose of calculating the number of days to comply with the residency obligation
in A28(2)(a), a day includes a full day or any part of a day that a permanent resident is physically present in Canada.

So going by that any part of a day spent in Canada.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If only gone for a few hours then they are not counted as days outside of Canada.
Its trips exceeding 24 hours that are counted.

From the CIC ENF 23 manual for calculating days present in Canada
For the purpose of calculating the number of days to comply with the residency obligation
in A28(2)(a), a day includes a full day or any part of a day that a permanent resident is physically present in Canada.

So going by that any part of a day spent in Canada.
Thanks FL - great answer, very clear.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Q21 on the application form asks you to list ALL trips outside Canada including to the USA.

Even if a day trip is not counted as a day outside Canada for the purposes of meeting the residency obligation, I'd mention those trips.

I noticed that on the physical presence calculator (which is for Canadian citizenship I realize), there is a question about whether or not to list day trips:

Q5: Do I have to declare day trips to the United States?

A5: Yes. List all absences, even if you come back the same day.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/...o?redir=faq#Q5

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 29th 2016 at 1:41 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Q21 on the application form asks you to list ALL trips outside Canada including to the USA.

Even if a day trip is not counted as a day outside Canada for the purposes of meeting the residency obligation, I'd mention those trips.

I noticed that on the physical presence calculator (which is for Canadian citizenship I realize), there is a question about whether or not to list day trips:

Q5: Do I have to declare day trips to the United States?

A5: Yes. List all absences, even if you come back the same day.

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/...o?redir=faq#Q5

S
I would hate to be a commuter who lives in Windsor and works in Detroit 5 days a week
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:21 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

The British system of calculating days in country is similar - travel days do not count as you were on British soil for part of the day. The Canadian setup is the same, but like the UK, you do have to list all trips. When I did my UK application I just did it as a table with the destination, departure date, return date, and number of full days out of country. I did have a few single night trips, so under "days out of country" I just put zero, but the trip was still listed.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get your US travel history instantly here:

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

S
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You can get your US travel history instantly here:

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

S
Thanks Snowy - very helpful link. Will add my 40 odd trips into States. (For no real reason, <sigh>)
Old Nov 30th 2016, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
Thanks Snowy - very helpful link. Will add my 40 odd trips into States. (For no real reason, <sigh>)
It's better than IRCC wondering if you're trying to hide something if you've missed out some info they have a record of!
S
Old Nov 30th 2016, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So who can come up with a logical explanation for them wanting details of a day trip to the USA or other country and returning the same day as its still counted as a day in Canada for PR or Citizenship obligations?

I can see the logic in asking for days i.e. over 24 hours where absent from Canada as it does make a difference for PR or Citizenship residency obligations.
Today is not a good day to ask me what I think about IRRC (CIC)

So I live in Windsor and work for Ford in Detroit. There are 52 weeks in a year so if I work 5 days a week thats 260 days. Say I get 30 days off a year that still leaves me providing IRCC with 230 trips and I'm betting they want each individual trip submitted. Even if I did it weekly thats still 52 entries to be submitted. Absolute insanity if you ask me.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So who can come up with a logical explanation for them wanting details of a day trip to the USA or other country and returning the same day as its still counted as a day in Canada for PR or Citizenship obligations?

I can see the logic in asking for days i.e. over 24 hours where absent from Canada as it does make a difference for PR or Citizenship residency obligations.
Today is not a good day to ask me what I think about IRRC (CIC)

So I live in Windsor and work for Ford in Detroit. There are 52 weeks in a year so if I work 5 days a week thats 260 days. Say I get 30 days off a year that still leaves me providing IRCC with 230 trips and I'm betting they want each individual trip submitted. Even if I did it weekly thats still 52 entries to be submitted. Absolute insanity if you ask me.

....for 4 and a bit years! (for PR renewal)
Yes, I did wonder why they would need that info, but hey, since they can find it anyway, might as well let them have it.

Still daft though
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

When dealing with immigration (not just Canada), I've learned not to look for logic, nor to ask "why?".