PR query

Old Oct 22nd 2019, 11:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR query

Hi all,

I'll try and explain this as best as I can.

I sponsored my now wife for PR, we landed and activated it in Toronto in April 2017. We applied to have a PR card sent to a Canadian address (living with my Uncle for a time to get settled.)

Due to unforeseen circumstances we had to return to the UK. The PR card never arrived and I didn't query it as we thought our move was over.

Fast forward to the past few months and we now have an opportunity to go back. I queried the card and they advised it had been returned to them as the postal service deemed it 'undeliverable' something to do with not being able to find the address.

Anyway, we have since applied for a multiple entry PR card which has been granted and we are in possession of this. The expiry date on it is for 2024.

Can sometime please tell me if the five years of PR has started in April 2017 and will expire in April 2022 or as stated on the new PRTD and is 2024?

We have been living together in the UK since PR was granted in 2017 and I am aware it still counts towards PR in Canada even though we are not in the country.

Am I right in saying we would have no right to apply for citizenship in 2022 as we need to be physically present in Canada for the qualifying period? EG. If we moved to Canada and PR ran out before we hit the quota of days, do we need to re apply for PR as a new applicant?

I apologise in advance if that is hard to follow or if the answer is pretty obvious.

Thanks

Old Oct 22nd 2019, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR query

Originally Posted by pjm3586
Can sometime please tell me if the five years of PR has started in April 2017 and will expire in April 2022 or as stated on the new PRTD and is 2024?
It started whenever your wife landed, having the card isn't relevant, ignore the date on the card as it has no bearing on her PR status. As you say, your wife has maintained PR status anyway by living with her Canadian spouse, so you don't really need to worry about the date anyway, but her PR status started in April 2017.

Am I right in saying we would have no right to apply for citizenship in 2022 as we need to be physically present in Canada for the qualifying period? EG. If we moved to Canada and PR ran out before we hit the quota of days, do we need to re apply for PR as a new applicant?
This is a bit confusing tbh. PR doesn't 'run out', and your wife's status isn't at risk whilst she's living with you, as you've mentioned above. There's no need to reapply for PR. Your wife can't apply for citizenship until she's spent the requisite number of days in Canada. But presumably you're already a citizen?
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 3:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

See your previous thread too

Re-applying for PR query

As Christmasoompa has said, your wife will retain her PR status as long as she resides with you - the PR card is only necessary for getting on a flight (although you could have obtained a PRTD instead) and the date on it is irrelevant regarding PR status - think of it as an ID card to get on a plane or to show as proof of ID for other things
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 10:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0103 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for the replies.

Yes I am a citizen

Apologies, a PRTD is what we have recently applied for and got, the multiple entry one too, to make things a little easier!
Old Oct 23rd 2019, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both for the replies.

Yes I am a citizen

Apologies, a PRTD is what we have recently applied for and got, the multiple entry one too, to make things a little easier!
Ah! So you have a multi entry PRTD that expires in 2024 - not a PR Card..

Your wife should apply for her PR card when you have settled in Canada.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dent-card.html

Make sure to keep her COPR safe - that's the legal document proving that she was granted Permanent Residency and she will need it to apply for Citizenship, Canada Pension etc.,

Once she has lived in Canada for 3 years she can apply for Citizenship.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 23rd 2019 at 3:49 pm.