PR query

Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

John and Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR query

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Yes they CAN work all through the year, but most have low spells in the winter, where work is tight and last ones in are the ones sitting at home not getting paid. Do you have money to help you out if this happens?
Yes he will have a contingency fund thankfully if it turns out they're not going to be full weeks all the way through. That was one of the first things asked at the interview - if there would be any downtime during the winter. The answer was no there shouldn't be as they do both commercial and residential work.

Do they offer medical cover for you? If not - can you afford to pay for this out of your pay? As a construction worker you will need to have this - just in case.
Yes medical and dental is included apparently. I gather it's a basic one mind.

What is your Wife's occupation? Is she not eligible to apply under the up and coming new FSW stream, that opens in May?
Pharma worker with a chemistry diploma done. We're looking into that now after yesterdays news.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

John and Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR query

Hello again. After having a look at the CIC and Alberta info, it seems as if there are 2 scenarios for getting PR. I'm still a bit unclear on the exact process though especially option 2. Is the following possible?:

Option 1: Work in the job (noc 7611) for a while. Things go well hopefully and they see I am capable of doing duties of carpenter (noc 7282) if I'm not more or less doing them already ie working off plans etc. I ask my employer for a promotion even if just on paper and not a rise. Employer likes John and plays ball, gets lmo and with that I can apply for PR (Skilled Trades or Canadian Experience).

Option 2: As soon as I land I apply to get an Alberta carpenter qualification based on my experience. I pass the theory and practical exam, get the piece of paper and apply for PR.
But do I need to be employed in noc 7282 to even apply for my trade papers? And do I need to be working 6 months before applying? And lastly do I need to do it through the employer ie with a job offer or can I do it independently? Any advice appreciated.