PR Medical Examination

Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Medical Examination

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Sorry to hijack but I need a medical for IEC and this has miffed me as I want to pay by credit card (even if I have the 2.5 surcharge to pay) it's over £300 for me as it would be for everyone else.

Does the doc seriously want me to carry around that amount of cash around the streets of semi-central Birmingham??
If you want the medical done then you will have to comply with the requirements of the doctor for payment.

You could ask them if they have debit facilities or whether they would accept a cheque if you feel uncomfortable carrying cash around - otherwise, you could find a cashpoint near to the doctors office.

Thousands of people do this every year.

Old Dec 19th 2013, 7:18 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you want the medical done then you will have to comply with the requirements of the doctor for payment.

You could ask them if they have debit facilities or whether they would accept a cheque if you feel uncomfortable carrying cash around - otherwise, you could find a cashpoint near to the doctors office.

Thousands of people do this every year.

It's still a load of rubbish in my opinion and I am someone that will usually challenge rules as this isn't to do with immigration this is just them being awkward but I'll try and give them a cheque

Why won't they accept cards or are they just trying to make even more money then they already do?

Last edited by beckiwoo; Dec 19th 2013 at 7:43 am.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield UK - Victoria BC bound (one day, in a galaxy far, far away...)
witchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the roughwitchileiz is a jewel in the rough

It's still a load of rubbish in my opinion and I am someone that will usually challenge rules as this isn't to do with immigration this is just them being awkward but I'll try and give them a cheque

Why won't they accept cards or are they just trying to make even more money then they already do?
We paid by CC in Manchester in Nov. Ours was for FSW, but they wanted payment by card or cash, but no cheques.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 8:45 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by witchileiz
We paid by CC in Manchester in Nov. Ours was for FSW, but they wanted payment by card or cash, but no cheques.
That's ok though. I'll have to call them when I arrange mine and find out.

It is such a pain as compared to other countries with their physicians list for medicals, Canada's list of approved doctors is very limited for England, Birmingham is my nearest.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 10:57 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

That's ok though. I'll have to call them when I arrange mine and find out.

It is such a pain as compared to other countries with their physicians list for medicals, Canada's list of approved doctors is very limited for England, Birmingham is my nearest.
The US only has one for the entire country in London
And I think at one time New Zealand didn't have any in Scotland at all

Doctors have to go through a lot of hassle to register , maintain their registry and comply with all the paperwork standards. Basically no doctor is obliged to offer this service so they impose the conditions that they want to

Believe me paying by cash is the least of your hassles if you intend moving country
Old Dec 19th 2013, 11:05 am
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
The US only has one for the entire country in London
And I think at one time New Zealand didn't have any in Scotland at all

Doctors have to go through a lot of hassle to register , maintain their registry and comply with all the paperwork standards. Basically no doctor is obliged to offer this service so they impose the conditions that they want to

Believe me paying by cash is the least of your hassles if you intend moving country
New Zealand have loads in England though even 3 in my small home town which I was shocked about!

True but still doesn't make things easier. Lucky I'm only one person and I don't have a family, can't imagine the stress it must cause!
Old Dec 19th 2013, 1:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You are most welcome.

Challenging things is all well and good but it won't help you if that is their requirement. It's not rubbish, it's what is required. You can either go along with it or choose not to have the medical!

It's not them being awkward - the reason (most) of them require cash is because some unscrupulous people have cancelled the charge/cheque once the medical results have been sent through.

Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:23 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You are most welcome.
Excuse me??
Old Dec 19th 2013, 2:47 pm
Banned

Excuse me??
I was saying you were welcome to the advice - no big deal.

Old Dec 24th 2013, 4:47 pm
Bex in the city

I have booked my exam now for the end of January in Birmingham - still not sure on payment options but I do know the medical is £312 (medical, X-Ray, HIV blood tests), I also need to pay another £84 for a Hep B and Hep C blood test as I have a tattoo from 10 years ago (anyone with a tattoo or body piercings minus ears has to have this apparently). I am also planning to get an up-to-date list of my vaccine history from my GP as I have already had Hep B injections.

Seemed very polite but obviously I'm looking at an extra £100 now to budget from what I first thought.

Will update when I've had it done. As I'm guessing everyone would get a similar examination?!
Old Dec 24th 2013, 5:09 pm
Banned

I have booked my exam now for the end of January in Birmingham - still not sure on payment options but I do know the medical is £312 (medical, X-Ray, HIV blood tests), I also need to pay another £84 for a Hep B and Hep C blood test as I have a tattoo from 10 years ago (anyone with a tattoo or body piercings minus ears has to have this apparently). I am also planning to get an up-to-date list of my vaccine history from my GP as I have already had Hep B injections.

Seemed very polite but obviously I'm looking at an extra £100 now to budget from what I first thought.

Will update when I've had it done. As I'm guessing everyone would get a similar examination?!
It's a standard immigration medical that people coming over to work in the health profession or with children are also required to undergo.

Anyone not planning on working in health or with children/vulnerable people don't need to do the medical if they are coming over on a work permit.

Hope it goes well.