Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR, landing in Stewart Alaska? (From Prince George)

PR, landing in Stewart Alaska? (From Prince George)

Old Nov 2nd 2013, 10:23 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR, landing in Stewart Alaska? (From Prince George)

Hi, anyone know if you can activate at the Stewart/Hyder border? Wikipedia states
"The US no longer conducts regular border inspections at Hyder. Canada port of entry has 24-hour service year round."

I've googled but failed to find the cbsa page. Reason being hubby is working in kitimat, we are living in Prince George and plan to go up to visit him and together cross the boarder and activate our pr. (Otherwise he has a 7 hr drive assuming no snow-which is on the way- and then another 12 hrs down to Vancouver. Checked out flying for all 5 of us is prohibitively expensive)
If anyone knows or has landed at Stewart I'd appreciate info, otherwise I'll try and call them Monday, hoping to cross over next weekend, am told I will have my COPR in hand by then (obvs won't attempt crossing without it!)
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR, landing in Stewart Alaska? (From Prince George)

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Hi, anyone know if you can activate at the Stewart/Hyder border? Wikipedia states
"The US no longer conducts regular border inspections at Hyder. Canada port of entry has 24-hour service year round."

I've googled but failed to find the cbsa page. Reason being hubby is working in kitimat, we are living in Prince George and plan to go up to visit him and together cross the boarder and activate our pr. (Otherwise he has a 7 hr drive assuming no snow-which is on the way- and then another 12 hrs down to Vancouver. Checked out flying for all 5 of us is prohibitively expensive)
If anyone knows or has landed at Stewart I'd appreciate info, otherwise I'll try and call them Monday, hoping to cross over next weekend, am told I will have my COPR in hand by then (obvs won't attempt crossing without it!)
From what I have read, you would be unable to do your flagpoling at Hyder/Stewart as there is no US presence there.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...fice515-e.html

Here is a list of the US border gates where you can: http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/index.asp

Edited to say, you could get a direct flight with Westjet from Prince George to Vancouver - return (depending on dates) is around $380 each including taxes.

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 2nd 2013 at 11:24 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:38 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
From what I have read, you would be unable to do your flagpoling at Hyder/Stewart as there is no US presence there.
So what is someone supposed to do when entering the U.S. at Hyder? Do you have to call U.S. Custom & Border Protection and self-report?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
So what is someone supposed to do when entering the U.S. at Hyder? Do you have to call U.S. Custom & Border Protection and self-report?
I have no idea I am afraid, I am only going on what it says on the CBSA webpage and a general google.

As the OP only needs to get a refusal, I doubt they would come out just for that.

Here's a picture of the 'crossing'
Attached Thumbnails PR, landing in Stewart Alaska? (From Prince George)-20080709_enterhyder.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 2nd 2013 at 11:54 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:46 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Dates is the issue, hubby isn't here in pg he is up in kitimat 7 hours drive away so trying to sort this for when he already has time off (ie next weekend)
There's 5 of us so flights we are looking at over two grand with westjet. Versus $80 each way for a tank of gas!
Was wondering about prince rupert as they have an international terminal there for the ferries? Maybe we could do it there?

I found this list on Wikipedia (obvs will call ahead to check before we travel) they list two other Alaskan borders but both are miles away!)

Last edited by __TJ__; Nov 2nd 2013 at 11:51 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 11:52 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I have no idea I am afraid, I am only going on what it says on the CBSA webpage and a general google.

As the OP only needs to get a refusal, I doubt they would come out just for that.
They do NOT need to be "refused" and it's a bad idea to get that on your immigration record, it's been discussed many times on the forum.

If they are admitted to the United States legally then they should be able to land on return. I assume the question is how is a legal admission to the U.S. at Hyder recorded and documented?

Of course, they may be the first persons ever to attempt to become PR at the CBSA post at Stewart BC, it also assumes that the post would know how to process a landing.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Taken from a travellers blog
There is no border control or customs to clear for entry to Hyder. That is because there is no place to go except back to Canada. There is no road or ferry connection with the rest of Alaska. There is a twice-weekly mail flight from Ketchikan that you could get a ride on but you need a passport for that. In other words, you can enter Hyder, Alaska without a passport but you need passport to go from Hyder (by air) to any other Alaska town.

Hyder is basically a Canadian town in Alaska. The preferred currency is the Canadian dollar except for the post office which accepts only United States dollars. In fact, they could not survive here without Canadian currency. They need Canadian money to go shopping across the border in Steward. The only thing in Hyder is a small convenience store. There are no banks or bank machines in Hyder nor Steward. The shower in the campground in Hyder operates on Canadian one-dollar coins. The grocery store in Steward does not accept credit cards; only cash or Canadian debit cards.

I would be phoning CBSA to see if you can do a landing as I suspect that the officers working at that POE don't see many (if any) landings and especially 5 x UK citizens. With no USCBP then they have technically left Canada. And even if there was if they were refused Canada would have to readmit them.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:01 pm
finally together...

We were refused entry (flag poling) in Vancouver in April, would rather not make a habit of it! Not that we have any inclination to enter USA, it's better not to get refused too many times for visa purposes. We can do an overnight if ness (will have to on the way there or back anyway)
I have found a number for cbsa in Stewart so I guess I'll call them Monday for a definitive. Thanks all.
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JAJ
They do NOT need to be "refused" and it's a bad idea to get that on your immigration record, it's been discussed many times on the forum.

If they are admitted to the United States legally then they should be able to land on return. I assume the question is how is a legal admission to the U.S. at Hyder recorded and documented?

Of course, they may be the first persons ever to attempt to become PR at the CBSA post at Stewart BC, it also assumes that the post would know how to process a landing.
Apologies, you are quite correct - it would be an administrative refusal if anything.

To the OP, Prince Rupert doesn't have a US border post there either.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/l...fice437-e.html

There is a ferry service from the both North to Alaska (but only on Tuesdays I believe) or down to Port Hardy, North Vancouver.

http://www.princerupertferry.com/ - Alaska
http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/inside/prph.php - Port Hardy

You might find the route map useful: http://www.bcferries.com/files/image...routes_map.pdf
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 12:21 pm
finally together...

Thanks siouxie, so we have no choice but to travel to Vancouver? Cr@p last thing I need is a 12h road trip followed by suspicious border agents and a lengthy wait. My eldest has autism and this will stress him (all declared investigated etc for his medical, I'm not trying to hide anything!) just was hoping for a quieter crossing!
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 2:54 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by __TJ__
Thanks siouxie, so we have no choice but to travel to Vancouver? Cr@p last thing I need is a 12h road trip followed by suspicious border agents and a lengthy wait. My eldest has autism and this will stress him (all declared investigated etc for his medical, I'm not trying to hide anything!) just was hoping for a quieter crossing!
Why don't you phone the call centre to see if there is any itinerant service to Prince George?
Old Nov 2nd 2013, 3:20 pm
Banned

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contact.../itinerant.asp

There is no itinerant service for the Prince George area this year, according to the calender.

I was going to suggest you make an appointment for an inland landing, but you would need to go to Vancouver for it as they closed the Prince George office.

I would suggest doing what FL said, call the CBSA office and see if they can offer the service at the Stewart/Hyder border - though it doesn't show it on the CBSA webpage, there is always a chance!

Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:11 am
JAJ
Retired

If there is no U.S. control whatsoever at the Hyder, AK border point that's quite unusual. There are U.S. customs checks at other enclaves or semi-enclaves such as the Northwest Angle or Point Roberts.

Anyway, the options seem to be:

1. Call the frontier point at Stewart, BC and see if they will process a landing after you have crossed over to Hyder, AK (a long way to travel only to find that they won't allow you to land, or don't know how to process it); or

2. Make an appointment to "land" at CIC in Vancouver, or another CIC office; or

3. Travel to southern BC and cross over to the U.S. and then land on return.