PR landing experience

Old Jul 20th 2004, 12:37 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 364
Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR landing experience

Hello Guys,

I made a business trip to Ottawa last week and had a chance to sneak to Cornwall ON border this weekend. I was alone while my family is back in BC. Not a very straight forward experience.

I had to pass the Canadian Immigration, go to the US Immigration and inform the officer in the booth that I have to secure a REFUSAL letter and go back to Canada to do my Landing. Inside the US immigration, they took my all my docs went inside their office. They took around 15 mins and came back to me.

I have travelled around the world a few times (US, Asia, Europe and Mid East) on business trips and one of these was Pakistan which showed in my travel document. The officers (US) asked very tricky and detailed questions about my trips to the Middle east specially Pakistan. The questioning was longer than the Canadian Officer did my Landing process.

The Canadian Immigration Officer asked questions while filling up the COPR. They asked about the Proof of Funds and they were insistent because they have to put in some numbers on that blank.

When they were done, they informed me that my family can land on their own anywhere anytime smoothly without hassle. They will do their landing this week at the Surrey BC border.
Redwings is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:57 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: The Yukon
Posts: 180
LadyTyger will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PR landing experience

Originally posted by Redwings
Hello Guys,

I made a business trip to Ottawa last week and had a chance to sneak to Cornwall ON border this weekend. I was alone while my family is back in BC. Not a very straight forward experience.

I had to pass the Canadian Immigration, go to the US Immigration and inform the officer in the booth that I have to secure a REFUSAL letter and go back to Canada to do my Landing. Inside the US immigration, they took my all my docs went inside their office. They took around 15 mins and came back to me.

I have travelled around the world a few times (US, Asia, Europe and Mid East) on business trips and one of these was Pakistan which showed in my travel document. The officers (US) asked very tricky and detailed questions about my trips to the Middle east specially Pakistan. The questioning was longer than the Canadian Officer did my Landing process.

The Canadian Immigration Officer asked questions while filling up the COPR. They asked about the Proof of Funds and they were insistent because they have to put in some numbers on that blank.

When they were done, they informed me that my family can land on their own anywhere anytime smoothly without hassle. They will do their landing this week at the Surrey BC border.
Great Redwings!
LadyTyger is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:59 pm
  #3  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR landing experience

Why did you need to go as far as US immigration?

I thought all Canadian border crossings let you return to Canada after passing Canadian border control without ever encroaching on US territory.

Jeremy


Originally posted by Redwings
Hello Guys,

I made a business trip to Ottawa last week and had a chance to sneak to Cornwall ON border this weekend. I was alone while my family is back in BC. Not a very straight forward experience.

I had to pass the Canadian Immigration, go to the US Immigration and inform the officer in the booth that I have to secure a REFUSAL letter and go back to Canada to do my Landing. Inside the US immigration, they took my all my docs went inside their office. They took around 15 mins and came back to me.

I have travelled around the world a few times (US, Asia, Europe and Mid East) on business trips and one of these was Pakistan which showed in my travel document. The officers (US) asked very tricky and detailed questions about my trips to the Middle east specially Pakistan. The questioning was longer than the Canadian Officer did my Landing process.

The Canadian Immigration Officer asked questions while filling up the COPR. They asked about the Proof of Funds and they were insistent because they have to put in some numbers on that blank.

When they were done, they informed me that my family can land on their own anywhere anytime smoothly without hassle. They will do their landing this week at the Surrey BC border.
JAJ is offline  
Old Jul 21st 2004, 2:47 pm
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR landing experience

In the past (quite few years ago) some officers on small number of border crossings required immigrants to prove that they were unable to enter US prior to landing when using "around the flagpole" method. But I haven't heard about it for years now.

It must have been some strange accident or Redwings was following very old instructions from someone who landed ages ago.


Originally posted by JAJ
Why did you need to go as far as US immigration?

I thought all Canadian border crossings let you return to Canada after passing Canadian border control without ever encroaching on US territory.

Jeremy

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Jul 21st 2004 at 2:51 pm.
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 12:45 am
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 364
Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR landing experience

That`s what I thought so. Just go to the Canadian Immigration and do the Landing but they didn`t.

When I was at the Canadian Immigration, I presented my papers to the Office and told them I`m going to do my Landing. They just straight away said "We can`t land you if you don`t have the Refusal Letter from the US Immigration". I could not argue with the Officers so I did what they asked me to do. Yesterday, I my family did their Landing and the same thing happened.

Now, could somebody please tell me since I have to ask from the US immigration that I have to be refused, will that have an impact on my future visa applications to the US??




Originally posted by Andrew Miller
In the past (quite few years ago) some officers on small number of border crossings required immigrants to prove that they were unable to enter US prior to landing when using "around the flagpole" method. But I haven't heard about it for years now.

It must have been some strange accident or Redwings was following very old instructions from someone who landed ages ago.
Redwings is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 1:54 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 77
SamJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR landing experience

When I landed in May I was only asked to walk on the bridge up to the point where it said "International Border" and come back to the immig office. But this was a small border (ST-stephen, NB).
Also, I have a friend who landed in May 04 in Quebec. He was asked to get a rejection letter from the US immig.

Sam
SamJ is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:21 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
 
sysclp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 941
sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: PR landing experience

Originally posted by SamJ
Also, I have a friend who landed in May 04 in Quebec. He was asked to get a rejection letter from the US immig.
I wonder what they would do if a US citizen is landing? They couldn't get a refusal from the US side since a citizen can't be denied entry (supposedly).
sysclp is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:37 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 77
SamJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR landing experience

If a US citizen or a holder of a valid US visa is to land, he/she would not get the rejection letter but since you will be coming from the US, it will be established that you were out of the country.

Hope this helps
Sam
SamJ is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 4:43 am
  #9  
BE Enthusiast
 
sysclp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Pickering, ON
Posts: 941
sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all
Default Re: PR landing experience

Originally posted by SamJ
If a US citizen or a holder of a valid US visa is to land, he/she would not get the rejection letter but since you will be coming from the US, it will be established that you were out of the country.

Hope this helps
Sam
I was just curious because I know there are quite a few US spouses of Canadians who are doing inland processing and will have to land at some point, usually doing the around the flagpole thing. Seems kind of pointless to make people go through the US border and then come back.
sysclp is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:11 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 201
MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PR landing experience

Redwings

What is the refusal letter for?
What about if I have to get back to US to finish my studies?

thanks
MadHatters

Originally posted by Redwings
That`s what I thought so. Just go to the Canadian Immigration and do the Landing but they didn`t.

When I was at the Canadian Immigration, I presented my papers to the Office and told them I`m going to do my Landing. They just straight away said "We can`t land you if you don`t have the Refusal Letter from the US Immigration". I could not argue with the Officers so I did what they asked me to do. Yesterday, I my family did their Landing and the same thing happened.

Now, could somebody please tell me since I have to ask from the US immigration that I have to be refused, will that have an impact on my future visa applications to the US??
MadHatters is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2004, 2:32 pm
  #11  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR landing experience

Or a person able to use the US visa-waiver scheme.

Jeremy

Originally posted by SamJ
If a US citizen or a holder of a valid US visa is to land, he/she would not get the rejection letter but since you will be coming from the US, it will be established that you were out of the country.

Hope this helps
Sam
JAJ is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 12:13 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 364
Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR landing experience

I don`t know exactly what is it for but I think it is a justification that you left the country by trying to enter the US and got refused so you`re going back to Canada and accept you as immigrant.

Are you in Canada right now?? What type of Visa?? Put more details.


Originally posted by MadHatters
Redwings

What is the refusal letter for?
What about if I have to get back to US to finish my studies?

thanks
MadHatters
Redwings is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 6:09 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 201
MadHatters will become famous soon enoughMadHatters will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PR landing experience

Redwings

I am in US under student visa status (F1). My question arises because when I get my PR I won't have finished with my studies, so I will be requeired to come back for a while. So if I get teh refusal letter, can I come back?

MadHatters




Originally posted by Redwings
I don`t know exactly what is it for but I think it is a justification that you left the country by trying to enter the US and got refused so you`re going back to Canada and accept you as immigrant.

Are you in Canada right now?? What type of Visa?? Put more details.
MadHatters is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 6:45 am
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 77
SamJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR landing experience

You won't need a refusal letter as you will be landing on your way from the US. Even if you were in Canada as a visitor with a valid US visa, you still wouldn't need a refusal letter coz you wouldbe allowed into the US. You would just have to enter the US, turn around and come back to Canada.

Hope this helps
Sam
SamJ is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2004, 7:14 am
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 364
Redwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR landing experience

I also don`t think you will have problem doing that as long as both your visas are good.


Originally posted by MadHatters
Redwings

I am in US under student visa status (F1). My question arises because when I get my PR I won't have finished with my studies, so I will be requeired to come back for a while. So if I get teh refusal letter, can I come back?

MadHatters
Redwings is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.