PR its Alive!!!!!!!!!

Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice
Default PR its Alive!!!!!!!!!

Just had some great news.

After a complete foul up by the london office with our applications (we had our medicals 10 Jan 2008) we finaly got to Email them (meaning they replied to my Emails for the first time) after crossing the 31 month threshhold. Therefore our time line for Visa expiration is 10th Jan 2009.

We after frantic Emails from ourselves and some substancial help from the people at the Nova Scotia immigration office (Thanks so much Frances) managed to convince London to get their collective asses in gear. They called forward our passports on the 16th Dec, I sent them UPS, with a return UPS envelope to speed up the process. The passports arrived in London 18th Dec (great service UPS) but get this, London processed our Visas in half a day, they Emailed me yesterday to say the Passports and Visas were on their way back to us. Left London on the 19th Dec currently on route, should be here before Christmas, this gives us ample time to drive to the US border to get our Landing finalised.

The last year has been full of emotional ups and downs living in Canada on work permits doesnt give you the same security that PR gives, it is also financially very restrictive in all of those hidden extra costs that dont apply to PR holders. (international college fees for the daughter at $5000 markup to those paid by other students) But now there is light at the end of the tunnel. By the new year we should be permanent residents of Canada and finally able to get on with our lives.

Merry Christmas to all and may the new year bring you the same fortune that we have been blessed with.

Last edited by Snort; Dec 20th 2008 at 2:39 am. Reason: spelling
Old Dec 20th 2008, 2:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR its Alive!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Snort
(international college fees for the daughter at $5000 markup to those paid by other students)
Blimey, you picked the wrong jurisdiction to live in!! Good grief. I knew there were only a few jurisdictions in Canada where children of TWP holders had to pay for education, poor you to be in one of them! (just out of interest, where are you for the reference of others with children to educate?!?)

Glad to hear it's all sorted now though after a stressful year. Pop open the bubbly and congrats!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

congratulations !
what did they do to make you wait this long thats awful
by the way did you know you dont have to flagpole to land anymore you can simply do it in Haliafax

Huge luck to you and yours
x
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Great news! London aren't exactly quick at doing anything, so I'm pleased you managed to get them to actually pull their fingers out.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Blimey, you picked the wrong jurisdiction to live in!! Good grief. I knew there were only a few jurisdictions in Canada where children of TWP holders had to pay for education, poor you to be in one of them! (just out of interest, where are you for the reference of others with children to educate?!?)

Glad to hear it's all sorted now though after a stressful year. Pop open the bubbly and congrats!
Note the OP was talking about international rates for University, not public schools.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:15 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, great news for xmas after such a long time
Old Dec 20th 2008, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

I should qualify the Student fee's

We arrived in Halifax Feb 08 on a temp work permit, we were called forward for medicals just before we left UK, so we thought PR would be close on our heals. (WRONG:curse

My eldest daughter was awaiting A level results and as such didnt have an acceptance letter to Dal Housie University. So she came out on a Visitors permit (Big Mistake number 1) When A levels came in she couldnt get Dal Housie so she opted for a college course instead, this would give her entry into Dal Housie (she is passing so far with honours) Anyway as she is over 19 she is no longer classed as a dependent even though she lives in our house eats our food and we pay her fee's). We sorted out her Student Visa, but from the college perspective as she has no Sin Number she is classed as an international student, her annual fees are $7800, as opposed to locals paying $2600. Hind sight is a wonderfull thing but this rule realy sucks.

Now when we get our PR sorted we can get her a Sin number, and hopefully the college will see sense and not charge her the second part of this years fee's due in January.

I should point out our other 2 children are at school (Junior high and High School) and they have had no problems.

The Champagne is popping tommorrow when all of the family can share it.

The trip to the US border is the fastest way to get it all sorted out, they turned a change in work permit and a student permit around in 30 minutes last summer.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:35 pm
Lily

Yalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant future

Congratulations and Merry X-mas!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

celtic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations,

What a fab Christmas Pressie

CW
Old Dec 24th 2008, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

The passports and Visas arrived at our house at 10:30 this morning, Christmas EVE, thankyou Santa (and UPS) Turn around time 8 days.

We now plan to drive to the border on the 2nd of Jan to flagpole our PR landing. Our visas expire on the 10th Jan so we have a bit of breathing space.

Just a note of caution to others that are caught up having had their medicals and then not heard anything for months. Write, visit, Email, shout, scream, at London they are not proactive and wont give a damn if your visas expire before you tell them time is running out. You have to chase them, dont sit back and think its all going smooth, find out what the hold up is and fix it.

Merry Christmas to all of you.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

wonderful news

what was the hold up in the end? did they just lose your file or something or was it something any of us could pre empt??
Old Dec 24th 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

We had medicals in Jan, then in march they asked us for German police checks, a signature on a schedule 1, and personal history from a posting we had in wales in the late 80s. We supplied all of that updated information in June. (personal history from a posting we had in wales in the late 80s had already been supplied but they asked for it so we sent it again). Then we heard nothing...................................October came and I Emailed them.......................................no reply....................November came, I got the Nova Scotia programme manager involved, she said they were waiting for items requested in March, We knew better as we had proof of delivery........................Early December came.......I Emailed them again with to be frank a bit of a snot o gram, this time we had passed the 31 month waiting time so they Emailed me back and said they were waiting for my personal history from a posting we had in wales in the late 80s. UNBELIEVABLE..............I Emailed them back with a very abrupt tone and asked them to sort it out. The next Email they sent asked us to forward our passports.

I guess if there is a lesson to be learnt it is to never asume they know what they are doing, to be honest I think very poorly of the London office at the moment. Even though they pulled out the stops when our passports arrived. If we hadnt pushed them, we would I am sure have lost our Visas, and at the very least have needed new medicals.

As it is now we need to drive 6 hours to the border and 6 hours back in poor winter road conditions to beat the 10th Jan deadline. A problem we wouldnt have had if a beaurocrat in London had done their Job Correctly in June.

Not that I am Bitter

Have a Merry Christmas all and a Canadian New year
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

z030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to behold

Awwww, glad it's all sorted for you now!! YaY I've still got all that to look forward to

Wish you and you family all the best in Canada. Have a very Merry Christmas

From me....... in London
Old Dec 24th 2008, 7:17 pm
Lily

Yalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant futureYalily has a brilliant future

Hey, Snort... your case is similar to ours in some way... I've wrote to them twice... first time no reply... second time: 'we are still working on your background check, sorry for the inconvenience'...

We got Medical requests in Nov '08, at the same time they also requested one more police report and some other forms... we sent everything but the police report as it was going to take some time to get it... we finally sent the police report in June '09... First time I emailed CIC (London) was in August (thinking let's give them time to look at the police report) like I said, I got no reply at that time...

Then in October I wrote to them again and got the 'we are working on your background' reply...

I decided not to write to them again because I figured that even in they requested passports after October... It would have been really difficult to move to Canada before the end of December (that's when our medicals expire)... so I haven't contacted them since... but reading your case I sit here wondering... what else are they going to come up with in our case... we now will have to get medical
exams again and wait God knows how long...

I am thinking now that having medicals again will buy us some time to then move with enough time to plan for everything and for the kids to finish the current school year... and for me to give proper resignation at work (I am a teacher so it wouldn't be nice to leave in the middle of the school year)...

I think I want to write to them just to remind them once more that our medicals are about to expire... I feel so lost sometimes... I feel like giving up on this... it's been so long...

I am so happy for you and your family... I am glad you kept on going and got the results you wanted at the end...

I hope you and your family have a great future in Canada!

Last edited by Yalily; Dec 24th 2008 at 7:19 pm.