Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR how much time to move after you get it?

PR how much time to move after you get it?

Old Apr 17th 2023, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Likon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR how much time to move after you get it?

Hello.

Once you are invited to apply for PR, and you will do that, how long do you usually wait to get PR?
Also once you get the PR, how much time do you have to move to Canada from another country?
Is it somehow limited like you need to move in next 180 days or something?

Thanks
Old Apr 17th 2023, 11:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR how much time to move after you get it?

The time to get PR will depend on the route, which way are you applying?

And once you get PR, you have to enter and 'activate' your status within a year of the date of your medical (which is usually done towards the end of the process).

HTH.
Old Apr 17th 2023, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Coming from UK, London.
1 year is enough time. Thank you
Old Apr 17th 2023, 11:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Likon
Coming from UK, London.
1 year is enough time. Thank you
The country isn't relevant, it's the PR route you're using that will impact how long it will take. So how do you plan to apply for PR? Parent sponsorship, FSW, PNP (and if so, which province and which stream), etc, etc. All of those routes have hugely different processing times, by as much as 4 years as a rough guide. You can check average processing times on the official website if that helps - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ing-times.html

Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2023, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

ahh, this, thinking about EE. it shows average processing time for perm card is 35 days. Not long
Old Apr 17th 2023, 11:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

ahh, this, thinking about EE. it shows average processing time for perm card is 35 days. Not long
Nope, that's just to get your Permanent Residency card once you've entered and 'activated' your status as above. It's mailed to you within approx 35 days of entry. The actual PR application won't be anywhere near that quick I'm afraid!

EE is 3 different routes to PR so again it will depend on which of those you're doing (FSW, FST, or CEC). Go to 'economic immigration' in the link above and then select which one.

HTH.
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

27 months, so I'm applying and waiting over 2 years to get PR and then I can move? sounds bad
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

27 months, so I'm applying and waiting over 2 years to get PR and then I can move? sounds bad
That's an average, and will include the Covid backlog which is being cleared, so I'd expect it quicker than that. But figure about a year or so usually from start to finish.

You previously said you weren't scoring enough for EE, so are you sure you're eligible for that visa route?
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

dont know yet. But once I'm applying for PR, I can't move and work to Canda? I need to wait until I get PR yes?
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

dont know yet. But once I'm applying for PR, I can't move and work to Canda? I need to wait until I get PR yes?
I would check that carefully first, you'll need to be scoring above approximately 470 on the CRS as a rough guide to be in with a chance of being selected and invited to apply for PR. If not, then you'll need to look at other visa routes.

And under the FSW program, you can't move or work until you get PR. There are other routes where you could i.e. PNP you can usually get a work permit to go over sooner, but they require a job offer and sponsoring employer, whereas FSW doesn't so is a much easier route if you're eligible.
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I'm waiting for the moment they change EE from CRS to more of your skills and profession.
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks. I'm waiting for the moment they change EE from CRS to more of your skills and profession.
Ah, ok. If you have something that is likely to get you selected under that (fluent French speaker, construction or healthcare profession etc), then that may be worth waiting for. It will still be points based though, but if you're eligible for one of the new categories, hopefully the points threshold will be lower.

Good luck.
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

thew new categories? yeah I know they are updating something but didn't fully check what exactly....
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

and I'm IT professional, so counting there will be some space for me
Old Apr 17th 2023, 12:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

thew new categories? yeah I know they are updating something but didn't fully check what exactly....
It's not finalised yet, but they recently did a consultation. Proposed categories are work experience ("According to Statistics Canada, the most acute shortages are found in construction (trades), administrative and support services, waste management and remediation services, healthcare and social assistance"), international graduate (so those who've graduated from a Canadian uni - possibly only those studying degrees in critical areas i.e. healthcare), temp foreign workers already in Canada, and French speakers.

Candidates that meet the criteria for the new categories will then be ranked according to their CRS, and the highest selected, just as now - which may mean a lower points threshold for those categories (rather than the general one), as there will be less eligible applicants. But it's all a bit of a guessing game at the moment, hopefully we'll know full details later this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.