Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Family Class - Close Family Members

PR Family Class - Close Family Members

Old Oct 30th 2014, 12:21 am
Just Joined

Connolly85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR Family Class - Close Family Members

Hello, I have a couple of questions that I was hoping someone would be able to help with. I am a Canadian and I am sponsoring my common law partner who is a British citizen. We are planning on applying outland.

1. The guidance says "if you are a common law or conjugal partner ... Also provide details of the history of your relationship and at least two statutory declarations from individuals with personal knowledge of your relationship..." Are signed letters from Canadian citizens enough? What is the statutory declaration?

2. On the webpage it says, "if you are outside Canada: the people you sponsor must also tell us about each of their close family members. These family members must have a security and criminality check and medical exam. If they do not, the sponsored person will not be able to sponsor them in the future." What does this mean? My partner could not sponsor her parents in the future, if they wanted pr unless they do medicals, etc now??

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 30th 2014, 3:15 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Family Class - Close Family Members

Not certain about #2 so I'll wait for someone else to chime in. (I think I know it but I'm not certain so don't want to give duff advice!)

#1 I do know. They don't have to be Canadians, they just have to be people who know you who can vouch for your relationship and the fact that you have been living together. I dug out this post I made three years ago when we were putting our application together, this is the template we used for the declaration: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...9/#post9705980 . We had a total of 11 in that template, and two we had notarized by a solicitor in the UK. We had a mix of family and friends fill it out. Both our parents, my aunt, his cousin, and friends from both sides.
Old Oct 30th 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Connolly85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR Family Class - Close Family Members

Thank you so much for the reply. If I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that by "statutory declaration" the CIC means an affidavit? Seems like a confusing use of terminology! Statutory declaration makes it sound like they're should be a prescribed form! Thanks again.