PR expires when abroad

Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:22 pm
Living in Canada 5 years

scottishjoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR expires when abroad

My 5 year Permanent Residency expires in March 2018.
I've already lived in Canada for 3 and a half years of the 5 years stipulated for renewal (in Canada 2 years of the 5) so am already valid to renew. However I have the chance of a 2 year contract in the UK.
So although I've covered the renewal stipulation I may not be in the country.
Does anyone know if I'll be able to come back here after the 2 years contract to renew my expired PR? Or can I do it from the UK?
thanks
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR expires when abroad

Originally Posted by scottishjoe
My 5 year Permanent Residency expires in March 2018.
I've already lived in Canada for 3 and a half years of the 5 years stipulated for renewal (in Canada 2 years of the 5) so am already valid to renew. However I have the chance of a 2 year contract in the UK.
So although I've covered the renewal stipulation I may not be in the country.
Does anyone know if I'll be able to come back here after the 2 years contract to renew my expired PR? Or can I do it from the UK?
thanks

Permanent residency does not expire. The card expires not your status. However, you are required to meet a residency obligation. If you don't it may be determined that you no longer have that status but this has to be via an official process. It doesn't automatically just happen.

A PR card renewal is an in Canada application only. If your PR card has expired and you're in the UK, you'll have to apply for a travel document to board the plane. This will be issued upon application if you've met the residency obligation (and can prove it).

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 29th 2016 at 4:44 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:44 pm
Living in Canada 5 years

Thanks Snowy560....

I think that answers my question

Joe
Old Dec 30th 2016, 4:33 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

It is a rolling 5 years, to meet the requirement of 730 days out of the preceding five years. Two additional years out of the country may mean you won't meet residency requirement, depending which end of the 5 year period the 18 months out of Canada were. If they were at the beginning, might be OK, if they were at the this end, maybe not? You'll need to do the math.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 4:40 am
Living in Canada 5 years

Yeah I see. Thanks

My current 5 year period is March 2013 to March 2018.
And I've already completed the sufficient days to renew in 2018.

So if I return in January 2019, I'll have still been in Cananda 3 years in the previous 5.

Joe
Old Dec 30th 2016, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishjoe
Yeah I see. Thanks

My current 5 year period is March 2013 to March 2018.
And I've already completed the sufficient days to renew in 2018.

So if I return in January 2019, I'll have still been in Cananda 3 years in the previous 5.

Joe
Yes but as Avaiator warns you need to be careful. Keep accurate records and solid proof of your time in Canada.

S
Old Dec 30th 2016, 5:11 am
Living in Canada 5 years

OK will do,
thanks guys for the help