Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR done! Getting a SIN (PR card needed?)

PR done! Getting a SIN (PR card needed?)

Old Aug 31st 2010, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road
Default PR done! Getting a SIN (PR card needed?)

Hi all, first post here - I'll add another soon to show timeline for my spousal out of Canada app for PR (all done in a tad under 4 months)

So here's where I am: Just received my PP back with PR visa stamped into it (looks beautiful after all I've been through to get it )

I have a job lined up nr Toronto. They want me to start...well yesterday, but have been very accomodating in waiting for me.

So I need to get landed and get a SIN ASAP.
Option 1 - Make an appointment with an immi office. The Scarborough office is responsible for my postal code, but has a 3 month waiting list!!!!!!! Really, is that useful to anyone?
Option 2 - Flagpole at Niagara, which can be done before the weekend. Have to say I'm not looking fwd to this after reading through other experiences here.

The only viable option for me is #2.

Here's my question:
Following landing, can I get a SIN # from Service Canada, temporary or otherwise so that I can start work WITHOUT waiting weeks for my PR card?
I spoke with CIC & they weren't 100% sure but advised me to call back after landing to see if they could expedite the PR card for me.
However, reading this http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/s...ly/proof.shtml made me think that my passport showing PR will be sufficient to get me my SIN

Anyone managed to do this before?

Any feedback gratefully recieved.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR done! Getting a SIN (PR card needed?)

Hi
Your PR card will be ordered when you go through the 'landing' process and you
'should' receive it within between ' 42 - 200 days ' (it will be posted to the Canadian Address you provide during landing process. Once you have completed your landing you then can visit your nearest Service Canada Office ( take your passport and COPR ) they will generate your SIN number and provide you with it then & there.
( you can then give your employer your SIN number )
The SIN card its self should follow in the post within 14 days again to the Canadian Address you provided.
This was my experience when I landed earlier this year via the FSW cat1 route.
hope this helps

Last edited by joinerboy; Sep 1st 2010 at 7:18 am.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Joinerboy, that exactly what I wanted to hear and explained extremely clearly. I was having a bit of a panic yesterday when I was hearing of people waiting months for the PR card and thought that this would cause me a problem.

Going to flagpole today!

Thank you very much.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

wats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant futurewats123 has a brilliant future

Hi I flagpoled and then went to service canada yesterday and they gave me my SIN... so that's the way to go.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I dont see why you would wait a month for a SIN card when you can walk into any "service canada" office with your record of landing form (not the pr card, the long paper form you have immediately after you land), apply in person and leave knowing what your SIN number is, and get the card in the mail a week or two later.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
I dont see why you would wait a month for a SIN card when you can walk into any "service canada" office with your record of landing form (not the pr card, the long paper form you have immediately after you land), apply in person and leave knowing what your SIN number is, and get the card in the mail a week or two later.
Me either In fact I'm on my way to do this now.

Ended up turning a basic flagpoling into a short trip (shopping/dinner). All went smoothly, both US and Canadian Border Guards & Immigration Officers were very helpful and unobstructive. Had to queue for over an hour on a Tue early afternoon in the car to get to the US border though.

It's great that I'll be able to give my SIN to my employer today & start earning money within a week or two.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by JimboV6
Me either In fact I'm on my way to do this now.

Ended up turning a basic flagpoling into a short trip (shopping/dinner). All went smoothly, both US and Canadian Border Guards & Immigration Officers were very helpful and unobstructive. Had to queue for over an hour on a Tue early afternoon in the car to get to the US border though.

It's great that I'll be able to give my SIN to my employer today & start earning money within a week or two.
Congratulations Jim. I'm planning on flagpoling in Niagara Falls too so it's reassuring that you found it so easy!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lethe
Congratulations Jim. I'm planning on flagpoling in Niagara Falls too so it's reassuring that you found it so easy!
Good stuff. I actually crossed at Lewiston Bridge, not far from Niagara.
I decided to spend a few hours over in the States rather than declaring flagpole only and being returned straight back to the Canadian side.

After about an hour queueing in the car, we got to the first US Border Officer & were asked to park up & enter the Immigration Building. Waited 20-30 mins, got called up, paperwork reviewed, fingerprints taken, filled out a green form, paid $6 USD (cash or credit card only). I was totally up-front in answering any questions, and they seemed fine with this. They will ask your destination. Mine was the fashion outlet on Military Rd. This process took about 10-15mins.

The US officials will staple a green re-entry ticket (this is part of the form mentioned above) into your passport. If you do not intend to return to the US within it's validity period of 90 days, make sure you return this ticket from your PP to Canadian Officers on your way back in. They probably will not ask for it, so it's pretty much up to you to remember. Otherwise it seems that the US the can assume that you have never left & could cause you problems if you ever want to go back.

I'm not sure, but the procedure may be slightly different if you only wish to flagpole, rather than entering properly.

It's handy to remember that you've done everything by the book and have nothing to hide.

You'll be fine.