PR with dependent child

Old Oct 16th 2016, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

alohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR with dependent child

We're flying to Canada next week on a TWP and will be beginning our PR application.
Following the immigrations ministers speech last week, when he announced his intention to raise the dependent child age from 19 within two years, we are hoping to be able to bring our eldest daughter over at some point, after she finishes uni in England.
In order to do this, would we need to include her as an unaccompanying dependent on the PR form, even though she is too old to be classed as that at this point?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR with dependent child

Originally Posted by alohavic
We're flying to Canada next week on a TWP and will be beginning our PR application.
Following the immigrations ministers speech last week, when he announced his intention to raise the dependent child age from 19 within two years, we are hoping to be able to bring our eldest daughter over at some point, after she finishes uni in England.
In order to do this, would we need to include her as an unaccompanying dependent on the PR form, even though she is too old to be classed as that at this point?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Unfortunately, I don't think it will be applied retrospectively. When changes are made to the law, they are usually for all applications that are made after that date, not those that have been made in the past few years before it. It's possible of course, but I've never known it happen that I can think of.

You couldn't include her as an unaccompanying dependent if you applied now (as she's not a dependent under current law), so the only option if you want to try and include her is to wait and hope the law changes, then apply for PR.

How old is she, and where will she be living whilst you are in Canada? Remember that age is 'locked in' at the time of application, but dependency isn't.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 16th 2016 at 8:50 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2016, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

alohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond reputealohavic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for the reply, even if it wasn't really what I wanted to hear.

She just turned 20 in August and is studying at Hull university at the moment. She's living in a student house but we support her financially and will continue to do so from Canada.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Sorry to drag up an oldish thread but I just found this on another site and wondered if we did apply for PR now, would we be able to then apply to sponsor our daughter under family sponsorship, as she is still a full time student and financially dependent on us?

http://www.canadavisa.com/family-spo...uirements.html
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alohavic
Sorry to drag up an oldish thread but I just found this on another site and wondered if we did apply for PR now, would we be able to then apply to sponsor our daughter under family sponsorship, as she is still a full time student and financially dependent on us?

http://www.canadavisa.com/family-spo...uirements.html
This is current
Determine your eligibility – Sponsor your spouse, partner or children
Old Nov 13th 2016, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Ahh, thank you.

I had hoped that as they had put an amendment at the bottom of the page regarding the proposed changes next year, that it might have been something that I had missed previously!