Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR decision, experienced or skilled application??

Wikiposts

PR decision, experienced or skilled application??

Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

tom26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR decision, experienced or skilled application??

I need advice!

I have been on the Bunac program for one and a half years now. With the new changes to the Bunac visas I can get another two years working holiday. Soooooo I want to stay but I need to apply for a PR card to make it permanent. I qualify under the Skilled worker class but if I hold off and wait anther 6 months then I will qualify as Experienced class which you need two years in country. I was wondering what people thought would be the better option as I could apply for either one and then stay in the country on a new Bunac visa and wait for the decision.

I have heard that there are limited numbers of Skilled Worker Visa's and that they only take so many per year per profession. So I was thinking that I would more likely get accepted quicker and more chance of a YES is I waited and applied when I have two years under experience class?

What do people think? Skilled or Experience?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR decision, experienced or skilled application??

Originally Posted by tom26
I have heard that there are limited numbers of Skilled Worker Visa's and that they only take so many per year per profession.
But presumably you'd be applying under FSW Category 2 (arranged employment) rather than FSW Cat 1? So the quota wouldn't apply to you.

Personally, I'd apply as FSW now if you can rather than having to wait 6 months to apply under CEC. If you definitely meet the criteria (i.e. permanent Skilled job offer, enough points, etc) then that's what I'd do - jmo though!

Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:43 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom26
I need advice!

I have been on the Bunac program for one and a half years now. With the new changes to the Bunac visas I can get another two years working holiday. Soooooo I want to stay but I need to apply for a PR card to make it permanent. I qualify under the Skilled worker class but if I hold off and wait anther 6 months then I will qualify as Experienced class which you need two years in country. I was wondering what people thought would be the better option as I could apply for either one and then stay in the country on a new Bunac visa and wait for the decision.

I have heard that there are limited numbers of Skilled Worker Visa's and that they only take so many per year per profession. So I was thinking that I would more likely get accepted quicker and more chance of a YES is I waited and applied when I have two years under experience class?

What do people think? Skilled or Experience?
Has the work you have been doing in Canada in Skill Level O A or B? The number of skilled worker visa's are only limited for people who DO NOT have permanent job offers in Canada - is this you or will your current employer offer you a permanent job if you gain PR?
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:44 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But presumably you'd be applying under FSW Category 2 (arranged employment) rather than FSW Cat 1? So the quota wouldn't apply to you.

Personally, I'd apply as FSW now if you can rather than having to wait 6 months to apply under CEC. If you definitely meet the criteria (i.e. permanent Skilled job offer, enough points, etc) then that's what I'd do - jmo though!

I would agree with this - just get your application in asap - sometimes they can take a LOT longer than the advertised times, so err on the side of caution and apply asap.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I've just looked at your previous posts and seen you are a security guard, is that correct?

Sorry, but that's Skill Level D on the NOC Matrix so you wouldn't be eligible as a Skilled Worker, and also means you wouldn't be eligible under CEC I'm afraid - you must have at least two years Skilled (i.e. NOC Level A, O or B) work experience in Canada for that program.

Really sorry, but unless I've misunderstood and you are not a security guard I think you need to look at other options or try and find a new job as I can't see how you'd qualify for FSW or CEC at the moment.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 1st 2011 at 3:52 am.