Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR/Common Law Sponsorship - both living in the UK

PR/Common Law Sponsorship - both living in the UK

Old Mar 16th 2013, 2:07 am
Just Joined

rosay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR/Common Law Sponsorship - both living in the UK

Hi all

My boyfriend and I want to move to Canada next year to live and work. His mum is Canadian and he has a certificate of citizenship, but he has never lived there, and I've never even been there. We have been together for 7 years and have been living together for 4 - we have a joint tenancy on our flat, joint bank account etc.

Do you think that the fact I've never been to Canada would cause any problems with application? I thought about doing the IEC route, but I heard that it's harder to get decent jobs on IEC because you're only permitted to work for a year, and I know loads of people who were already in Canada got screwed over this year because the applications opened much later than usual. So for security, I would rather go down the PR route if I can.

My second question is which forms I'm meant to fill in? I did the questionnaire on the CIC website and it gave me the forms to complete, which are IMM1344E, IMM5409E, IMM5481E, IMM549WE and IMM5540E. I haven't read through all of them yet, but I looked through the sponsor questionnaire and it makes it sound like the form is meant to be for a sponsor who is already in Canada? For example question 8 'Have you resided in countries other than Canada?'
Old Mar 16th 2013, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

chinglish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR/Common Law Sponsorship - both living in the UK

Originally Posted by rosay
Do you think that the fact I've never been to Canada would cause any problems with application?
Not to CIC, but personally I would and did see what I was letting myself in for before just going for it.

My second question is which forms I'm meant to fill in?
There is a checklist of forms/info required on the sponsorship form and applicant form. Its different requirements for different people.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 12:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR/Common Law Sponsorship - both living in the UK

Hi all

My boyfriend and I want to move to Canada next year to live and work. His mum is Canadian and he has a certificate of citizenship, but he has never lived there, and I've never even been there. We have been together for 7 years and have been living together for 4 - we have a joint tenancy on our flat, joint bank account etc.

Do you think that the fact I've never been to Canada would cause any problems with application? I thought about doing the IEC route, but I heard that it's harder to get decent jobs on IEC because you're only permitted to work for a year, and I know loads of people who were already in Canada got screwed over this year because the applications opened much later than usual. So for security, I would rather go down the PR route if I can.

My second question is which forms I'm meant to fill in? I did the questionnaire on the CIC website and it gave me the forms to complete, which are IMM1344E, IMM5409E, IMM5481E, IMM549WE and IMM5540E. I haven't read through all of them yet, but I looked through the sponsor questionnaire and it makes it sound like the form is meant to be for a sponsor who is already in Canada? For example question 8 'Have you resided in countries other than Canada?'
Your partner can sponsor you as his common-law partner for Permanent Residence. He can do it whilst you are living in the UK as he is a Canadian Citizen. Once you submit the application, it should take about 8 months for you to get PR.

The forms you and he will need to fill out are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

Have a read through the guide and if you have any other questions, fire away!