Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR and citizenship in BC and NS as a doctor

PR and citizenship in BC and NS as a doctor

Old Dec 22nd 2019, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

MayFlowers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR and citizenship in BC and NS as a doctor

I am interested in the timescales involved in gaining PR and then citizenship in different provinces.
I am a UK GP and I would bring my husband and children with me, and we would want to achieve citizenship for us all if we like living there.

The two provinces we are keen on are BC and NS, although we would consider others, esp if achieving PR and citizenship would be an easy quick process.

For BC I've been told
- I can arrive on a work permit under PNP if I have a job offer, and apply for PR on arrival (how long does PR take to achieve if I apply in Canada?)
- or I can apply for PR in UK before arriving in Canada (will I get this as we don't have any family connections to Canada?)
- if I come on a work permit my husband would get a secondary work permit and be able to work - is this correct?
- there is an Express Entry online PR application route, or a paper based route, in country - which is best?

For NS I've been told there is a new express entry PR route for doctors that I can apply for on arrival if I enter on a work permit with a job, and I will get PR in 6 months. This is really tempting as it sounds like the process is fast and efficient. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm wondering how the process and timescales in BC compares.

Would my husband and kids get PR and citizenship at the same time as me?

When would we be eligible to apply for citizenship? I've been told after 3 years as a PR, but I read 5 years on gov website.

Thanks for any advice. I've been reading the Canadian gov website but am finding the various paths confusing.

Old Dec 22nd 2019, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR and citizenship in BC and NS as a doctor

Originally Posted by MayFlowers
For BC I've been told
- I can arrive on a work permit under PNP if I have a job offer, and apply for PR on arrival (how long does PR take to achieve if I apply in Canada?)
- or I can apply for PR in UK before arriving in Canada (will I get this as we don't have any family connections to Canada?)
- if I come on a work permit my husband would get a secondary work permit and be able to work - is this correct?
- there is an Express Entry online PR application route, or a paper based route, in country - which is best?
Yes, you can apply for a work permit under PNP, apply for PR. The timescale will depend on which stream of the PNP you apply under - if it's an Express Entry stream, then figure about 6 months as a rough guide, if it's a paper based stream, then it'll take longer (a year to 18 months). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ing-times.html

You may well be able to apply for PR now from the UK, but without knowing a lot more about you it's hard to say. Having family in Canada doesn't have much of a bearing on it, only that you'd get a few more points if you did have certain family members there. But you'll need to check your eligibility for Express Entry yourself, if you're scoring enough then you can apply for PR now and move over with it in place (far preferable with a family if you can).

Yes, your husband would get a work permit for the same duration as yours.

See above - EE will be much quicker than an old fashioned paper based stream.

I
For NS I've been told there is a new express entry PR route for doctors that I can apply for on arrival if I enter on a work permit with a job, and I will get PR in 6 months. This is really tempting as it sounds like the process is fast and efficient. Does anyone have any experience of this? I'm wondering how the process and timescales in BC compares.
This is an Express Entry PNP route, so it's a Federal program and exactly the same as that in BC. As a general rule, the choice of province won't make a difference, unless you have to go down a paper based route in one of them versus the other.

Would my husband and kids get PR and citizenship at the same time as me?
Yes, assuming they qualify too (i.e. for citizenship, if they've not spent too much time outside of Canada).

When would we be eligible to apply for citizenship? I've been told after 3 years as a PR, but I read 5 years on gov website.
That doesn't sound like the government website, as it's out of date info. Do make sure you're only using the official website. It used to be 3 years, then went up to 5 years, now is back down to 3 years - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

Bear in mind it could well change again in the next 4 years or so before you're eligible, but at the moment it's 3 years.

HTH.

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.
I just looked at the Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry, and I don't think I would qualify as I've only been a GP for one year but worked part time, so I haven't amassed the equivalent to one years experience. Although yes in time I will build up to that.
My husband on the other hand would qualify as he is a software engineer. If he got EE PR whilst in the UK, would myself and the children also have PR at the same time? Or would we all move there and then we could apply in country? If he got PR in UK, would I get a visa where I could work as a GP (assuming I cleared the GP criteria)?

3 years to citizenship, fantastic
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I don't mean would qualify, I mean would meet the minmum criteria to apply for FSW EE
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked at the Federal Skilled Worker Express Entry, and I don't think I would qualify as I've only been a GP for one year but worked part time, so I haven't amassed the equivalent to one years experience. Although yes in time I will build up to that.

Ah, ok. In which case, your only option would be a paper based PNP route if you can find one that you're eligible for i.e. the Healthmatch BC PNP route requires 2 years of directly related work experience, so that won't work either. But if you explore the PNP's you may find one that doesn't require at least a year's full-time experience.

My husband on the other hand would qualify as he is a software engineer.
Fab. What's he scoring on the CRS? That's the vital bit.

If he got EE PR whilst in the UK, would myself and the children also have PR at the same time?
You'd all get PR at the same time, assuming of course that he puts you as dependents on his application!

Or would we all move there and then we could apply in country?
If he's eligible to apply for PR from the UK, that would be far better. His only way over to then apply for PR once in Canada would be a work permit. Firstly, that's far more hassle (finding a sponsoring employer prepared to go to the cost/hassle of a LMIA app for him may take ages, or not happen at all). And secondly, if you did go over on a Temp Work Permit first with the intention of applying for PR once there, then you're all essentially at the employer's mercy until you get PR. He'd be tied to his employer, so if made redundant or similar, you may all have to leave Canada and return to the UK. Far better to go over with the security of PR if you can do.

HTH.

Old Dec 22nd 2019, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

I've been in contact with Healthmatch BC and they were positive that I would be approved for a work visa under PNP and then could apply for PR once in country - I've been a GP for one year part time- do you think they are mistaken and I would need to be a GP for 2 years first? Or can my GP training count towards the 2 years experience?

I just did CRS and he scored really low! 449. I'm surprised!
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I've been in contact with Healthmatch BC and they were positive that I would be approved for a work visa under PNP and then could apply for PR once in country - I've been a GP for one year part time- do you think they are mistaken and I would need to be a GP for 2 years first? Or can my GP training count towards the 2 years experience?
Odd, as they usually use this stream which has the 2 year requirement - https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...e-Professional

Ask them which stream they'd intend to help you apply for?

449 isn't low, it's borderline though but at that level I'd say definitely worth putting in an application. When will he lose points due to a birthday?
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

In the summer so maybe he should apply asap! Although we would both need to sit the language exam first as I assumed we would both score highly but we haven't taken the test (native English speakers). Do you know how likely to get PR based on that score? And if he didn't get it this year, do you stay in the pool for future years?

I've emailed HMBC to ask. They may not have realised I don't have 2 years, they didn't ask and I didn't know it was a factor. Saying that I do know of GPs planning to apply straight after finishing UK GP training.
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Actually his score is 454 if he appleis before his birthday
Old Dec 22nd 2019, 8:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

In the summer so maybe he should apply asap! Although we would both need to sit the language exam first as I assumed we would both score highly but we haven't taken the test (native English speakers). Do you know how likely to get PR based on that score? And if he didn't get it this year, do you stay in the pool for future years?
You can see all of the recent scores here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-previous.html

And he'd stay in the pool for one year before his profile expired, if he hadn't received an ITA by that point he'd have to reapply. I'd definitely get his ECA and IELTS sorted asap and get him in the pool before his points score drops in the summer, unless Healthmatch suggest another route to PR for you. As you can see from the link above, it last went to 454 or below in May, but it may well drop again and you'd kick yourselves if he misses out!

HTH.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 4:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If he's a software engineer, have a look at BC PNP Tech Pilot as well (if he can get a job offer), if the HealthmatchBC doesn't pan out.

2173 Software engineers and designers
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...PNP-Tech-Pilot
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The two years includes any training you have done its not two years as a GP so your VTS will count as well

Good luck!
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 3:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Richb1970
Hi

The two years includes any training you have done its not two years as a GP so your VTS will count as well

Good luck!
No idea what VTS is, but as long as it was paid and in the same NOC, then yes it will count.

"BC PNP defines directly related work experience as full-time or part- time paid employment that is classified under the same NOC code as the B.C. job offer that you have accepted".