pr to citizenship

Old Dec 22nd 2014, 4:18 am
Just Joined

jkgtr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pr to citizenship

Hello folks.

So i am a PR landed from the UK in August of this year. just wanted to know if there any documents for example i should be storing for evidence when i decide to apply for citizenship?

just getting prepared and a bit ahead of the game here, once again grateful for any help.

thanks

J
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pr to citizenship

Keep the COPR form you were given as you will need it much further down the road re pension and old age security.
Record all of your trips made outside of Canada re citizenship eligibility.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 1:40 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Keep the COPR form you were given as you will need it much further down the road re pension and old age security.
this

start a simple spreadsheet documenting them now will save you a LOT of hassle later on.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

jkgtr is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

+1 on recording all trips. I have a colleague at work who has delayed applying for citizenship as he can't face the prospect of pulling all this information together. He's been here for about 8 years, but is only now starting to think about applying so as to avoid the new rules (whenever they start applying them).
Old Dec 27th 2014, 1:30 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Yandros

+1 on recording all trips. I have a colleague at work who has delayed applying for citizenship as he can't face the prospect of pulling all this information together. He's been here for about 8 years, but is only now starting to think about applying so as to avoid the new rules (whenever they start applying them).
Tell him to apply for a record of entry from CBSA, they have electronic copy of each time you re-enter Canada.

Access to Information and Privacy - How to make a request under the Access to Information Act

Actually there is no cost as it is free under privacy act.

Last edited by JB0591; Dec 27th 2014 at 1:35 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:39 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that's handy. Thankfully I had not made that many trips once I came here, and did remember all the ones I had made, but that would have been a very useful tool to have.

I also echo the comment about keeping the COPR in a safe place, ideally take a high resolution scan of it and store it somewhere too. Not too sure if you can request a copy of the COPR, hopefully you can though.

When I got mine they did not mention at the time that it would be needed for the pension. Thankfully I keep anything immigration related in a safe place. They did mention the requirement of the COPR when I applied to citizenship for pension and other things.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 2:45 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

You can apply for a copy of your COPR but it takes time to get it (6 months is current processing time).

Guide 5218 - Request to Amend Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents
Old Dec 29th 2014, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

feralbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond reputeferalbob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
Tell him to apply for a record of entry from CBSA, they have electronic copy of each time you re-enter Canada.
Actually they don't - they have most of them - but I had a couple of things in my passport that CBSA had no record of.

Originally Posted by RANDOM CBSA OFFICER
We regularly get notifications from requestors advising us that some entries are not in their travel history report. Please be advised that the travel history report is not a reliable tool to certify the entry of Canadians into Canada. It is unfortunate that some entries don't appear in your report, but there is nothing that can be done to correct the report.
I did clarify that the 'entry of Canadians into Canada' also applied to British Citizens
Old Dec 31st 2014, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go shopping in the states for a couple of hours then come right back does that count as a day absent or present in Canada does anyone know?
Old Dec 31st 2014, 5:25 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by tee1
If you go shopping in the states for a couple of hours then come right back does that count as a day absent or present in Canada does anyone know?
A day present
Old Dec 31st 2014, 1:46 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

it only counts as absence if you are out overnight
Old Dec 31st 2014, 5:10 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB0591
You can apply for a copy of your COPR but it takes time to get it (6 months is current processing time).

Guide 5218 - Request to Amend Record of Landing, Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Valid Temporary Resident Documents
I hope this does not sound rude, but I don't think that's the right link, as it's for amending the record.

I think this might be the correct one for getting a copy of your COPR: Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document