Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR for a child born outside of Canada

PR for a child born outside of Canada

Old Mar 4th 2019, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Danii_i is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PR for a child born outside of Canada

My husband and I are PRs currently staying in UK. We have a son that was born in the UK after we were granted PR.
I understand it that we sponsor the baby as PRs once we get to Canada. This can only be done once we move there.

According to CIC website the sponsorship process takes approx 12 months. What rights does the sponsoree have during that time? Any health cover or do we have to purchase it privately?
I have not been able to find any info re that, could you point me to the right direction?
Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2019, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR for a child born outside of Canada

Coverage will be dependent on the Province you move to. Some you may have to wait 90 days for any coverage to kick in. Always an advantage to also have private coverage for which not covered under a Provincial plan.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Also don't forget you cannot sponsor anyone while you are in breach of residency obligation or while appealing a removal order.
Old Sep 6th 2019, 11:03 am
Just Joined

rsuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danii_i
My husband and I are PRs currently staying in UK. We have a son that was born in the UK after we were granted PR.
I understand it that we sponsor the baby as PRs once we get to Canada. This can only be done once we move there.

According to CIC website the sponsorship process takes approx 12 months. What rights does the sponsoree have during that time? Any health cover or do we have to purchase it privately?
I have not been able to find any info re that, could you point me to the right direction?
Thanks
Hi,
We are in the same situation but we're moving to BC in October. We are planning to take our daughter via the Visa Waiver and apply as soon as we land. Is this what you did? Have you started the process?
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danii_i

Thanks
We moved to Nova Scotia in January accompanied by a child without PR status due to being born in Germany after the rest of the family got their PR.

As you suggest you can only apply for the child’s PR once you are in Canada. We applied around the end of March and received the COPR around the end of July (only a 4 month wait). We now just have to visit the CIC office in Halifax with our COPR to complete the process and trigger the PR card.

As for medical care, as FL stated this will depend on province. In NS, the PRs in the family were covered immediately upon arrival. Our daughter without PR was only covered when we could prove we had mailed the application for PR and paid the fees online. We took the online receipt and postage receipt to NS Health and they issued her a health card on the day we posted the application.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
Old Sep 7th 2019, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

rsuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada

We moved to Nova Scotia in January accompanied by a child without PR status due to being born in Germany after the rest of the family got their PR.

As you suggest you can only apply for the child’s PR once you are in Canada. We applied around the end of March and received the COPR around the end of July (only a 4 month wait). We now just have to visit the CIC office in Halifax with our COPR to complete the process and trigger the PR card.

As for medical care, as FL stated this will depend on province. In NS, the PRs in the family were covered immediately upon arrival. Our daughter without PR was only covered when we could prove we had mailed the application for PR and paid the fees online. We took the online receipt and postage receipt to NS Health and they issued her a health card on the day we posted the application.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
Hi. Thank you for the quick reply. It's good to know that it can be done quicker than 12 months! Did you take your son over via the Visa Waiver program (as EU citizens are entitled to) or did you have to get another visa to cover him until you got the COPR?

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2019, 1:03 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by rsuk
Hi. Thank you for the quick reply. It's good to know that it can be done quicker than 12 months! Did you take your son over via the Visa Waiver program (as EU citizens are entitled to) or did you have to get another visa to cover him until you got the COPR?

Thanks
1. The Child requires an ETA to board a flight to Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...anada/eta.html