PR cards due to expire

Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

express01 is on a distinguished road
Default PR cards due to expire

Hi, our PR cards expire in 30 days, it's not a problem as the border is closed anyway. We had been holding off applying for them as we had been invited for our citizenship test just as all the Covid-19 closed everything down, were hopeful that we could complete this before the cards expired saving is the renewal fees.

Now I'm looking at 174 days to renew our cards! does this mean that if the border does reopen we can't leave Canada until our new PR cards have been delivered?

The canada.ca site quotes:Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat. Without one, you may not be able to board.

Your PR card needs to be valid when you show it. If your card expires, you will have to apply for a new one. You are still a permanent resident if your card expires.

I doesn't mention crossing the border by Car, I seems unfair that we are being punished for the processing time delays,

Any advice appreciated

N

Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR cards due to expire

Originally Posted by express01
Hi, our PR cards expire in 30 days, it's not a problem as the border is closed anyway. We had been holding off applying for them as we had been invited for our citizenship test just as all the Covid-19 closed everything down, were hopeful that we could complete this before the cards expired saving is the renewal fees.

Now I'm looking at 174 days to renew our cards! does this mean that if the border does reopen we can't leave Canada until our new PR cards have been delivered?

The canada.ca site quotes:Permanent residents must have a valid permanent resident card (PR card) or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to return to Canada by plane, train, bus or boat. Without one, you may not be able to board.

Your PR card needs to be valid when you show it. If your card expires, you will have to apply for a new one. You are still a permanent resident if your card expires.

I doesn't mention crossing the border by Car, I seems unfair that we are being punished for the processing time delays,

Any advice appreciated

N
As I am sure Former Lancastrian will confirm, you can cross back and forth by car as long as you have met the residency obligation. Have your stamped COPR and expired PR card with you (as well as valid passport of course).
Old Jun 16th 2020, 5:06 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR cards due to expire

Originally Posted by express01

Any advice appreciated

N
The Govt. website mentions crossing the border in a private vehicle
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...num=064&top=10

It depends on how you travel.

Returning by private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to enter the country.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.