PR Card Scandal

Old Nov 7th 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future
Default PR Card Scandal

I am now in canada so cant really complain but here is my nightmare

I received my photos back from the CHC London witha note saying use these phtos when it comes to issue of your PR. i gave these 2 photos to the officer at Toronto airport. all seems well. they say it will take a month.

2 months later i call them and they say there has been a problem with my photos. they are the wrong size. they said they sent it from Nova Scotia to Toronto and I had to go and get new photos. this takes a month. then Toronto send it back to Nova scotia and they have a month to send it to me. So 4 months after i arrived it should get here, which means i have to get a special form which I need to get authorization for travel form outside Canada (of which I am not). this also may be very difficlut over xmas. so not sur eif i can return home for xmas as planned

Total Nightmare. Anyways i know people are much worse off than me, but feel i needed an avenue to vent

Cheers

John
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:18 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Scandal

If you are a UK citizen you would not need a PR card to travel because you do not need a visa to enter Canada. The airline would let you on the aircraft and your used visa in the passport would suffice as proof of PR status at the port of entry. Hope that is clear.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Having seen what happens on this forum, if it were me landing, I'd be tempted to smudge my own photo on the COPR so it was unusable and have the immigration officer take my pic on their digital camera. That way, you massively increase your chances of avoiding a photo recall down the line

Hope yours is sorted out soon though, how annoying
Old Nov 8th 2007, 1:22 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its inconvenient, but its hardly a scandal is it?
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

Thanks for your input Iain. greatly appreciated! you really have added value.

Anyways. Jim and Biiiiink. thats for your advice. Whe i calle dthe call centre they said i cannot come back in via commercial trasport. is that just scaremongering to save hassle? Will i be able to come back in without the travel form?

Thanks

John
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, sarcasm. I remember that.

You are obviously a Brit then, and in that case you have absolutely no need for a PR card in order to travel to and from Canada as long as you have your ROLF with you. The official CIC line to save confusion and lots of questions about passports etc etc, is that you need the travel document, but the reality is that as the UK is part of the visa waiver program, you can board the plane/ bus / whatever to canada on the strength of a UK passport alone, with no need of a PR card to prove you have the right to enter canada. This has been discussed many many times before.

PR card is for the benefit of the airlines etc, not immigration. Immigration know a real immigration form from a fake, and have a big database to cross check you against if necessary. Its a minor hassle for them, but not nearly as much of a hassle as you having to get an ultimately pointless travel document.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 8th 2007 at 2:42 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

I know,

Lowest for of wit etc etc. Being form Scotlnad is kinda all I have in my locker.

Anways, when i added this thread I was fuming, hence the aggressive title. I did realise this was a little OTT, but cant change it.

Educate me as to what ROLF is?

I hope that is not a stupid question

Cheers Iain

John
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Right of Landing Form...used to be the IMM1000 or something? Big paper thing stapled in your passport when you landed.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Iain,

The scadal is no longer! So as i said above, do you think that they just tole i needed a travel form to save hassle at the border?

Cheers

John
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by budda
Thanks Iain,

The scadal is no longer! So as i said above, do you think that they just tole i needed a travel form to save hassle at the border?

Cheers

John
Their hassle, not yours. You get to choose between the hassle of a trip to the high commision and standing in line for the Travel Document, or the small chance of a slight delay at entry while they confirm your PR status, if they ask about it.

They are covering their arse, thats all, and are not taking the visa waiver program into account in their advice.

The only hassle might be if you are traveling on a one way, not a return ticket.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 8th 2007 at 2:50 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 2:56 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Same or similar situation with me. Passed immigration easily with photos and then 8 weeks down the line they tell me they photos are " not of sufficient quality" and I need more taken. Only found out after OH received her PR card and not me.

Upshot was that they (immigration) had lost my landing documents but didn't want to admit this so blamed me for crappy photos. However a quick trip to Kitchener to get more done at Immigration Canada (10 minutes) and all was hunky dory.

Two weeks later I got the PR card. Not a big deal as you say.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

a1anm is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by budda
2 months later i call them and they say there has been a problem with my photos.
probably because you look so beast in the pictures!!!

ha ha.

typical. they won't let me go to Canada and they won't let you come home!

will call you tomorrwow! think my fingerprint situation is finally sorted.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

I know mate. Sorry I am bitching about losing on a trip to New York (which now i have been informed i wont miss) and your still back home.

Speak tomorrow.