Wikiposts

pr card residency obligation

Old Oct 23rd 2005, 7:16 pm
AA

asimsubhani is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pr card residency obligation

I am a canadian citizen, my wife and 2 yr old kid are permanent residents,
i want to live abroad with my wife due to some family problems,
but according to pr residency obligations , do my wife has to stay for 780 days in 5 yrs of this pr issuence period in canada to become a citizen,

with my understanding of this obligation clause, there is a statement:
"they are outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent or, in the following statement"
-------------------------------------------------
Permanent residents comply with the residency obligation if, for at least 730 days in every five-year period,

they are physically present in Canada or,

they are outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent or,

they are outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province or,

they are outside Canada accompanying a permanent resident who is their spouse or common-law partner or,

in the case of a child, their parent, and who is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province.
------------------------

so my understanding is that a citizen's spouse and kid can stay out of canada for an extended period alongwith the citizen and this 2yr out of 5 yr mandatory stay in canada does not apply to them
kindly clarify me in this regard, and if it's true will this period of living abroad
will count as staying in canada or the wife has to stay for 2yrs and then she will be eligible to apply for citizenship
Old Oct 24th 2005, 12:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pr card residency obligation

Originally Posted by asimsubhani
I am a canadian citizen, my wife and 2 yr old kid are permanent residents,
i want to live abroad with my wife due to some family problems,
but according to pr residency obligations , do my wife has to stay for 780 days in 5 yrs of this pr issuence period in canada to become a citizen,
Not correct. It's 730 days in 5 years to keep PR. 1095 days in 4 years for citizenship.

------------------------

so my understanding is that a citizen's spouse and kid can stay out of canada for an extended period alongwith the citizen and this 2yr out of 5 yr mandatory stay in canada does not apply to them
kindly clarify me in this regard, and if it's true will this period of living abroad
will count as staying in canada or the wife has to stay for 2yrs and then she will be eligible to apply for citizenship
Correct. Days accompanying you as a Canadian citizen will count as if they were in Canada.

This only applies for keeping PR - not applying for citizenship.

As you are Canadian, and your child is a PR, why not apply for citizenship for your child now? The residence period does not apply to a child with a Canadian parent.

Jeremy