Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card renewal and trip to UK when in process

PR Card renewal and trip to UK when in process

Old Aug 26th 2021, 6:22 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default PR Card renewal and trip to UK when in process

I sent our PR Card applications in early July and they Expire on Sept 3rd. I haven't even had anything to say they have been received or in process.

My wife and I want to return to the UK for 2 weeks in October for her fathers 90th (especially now that Canada is on the green list as of today)

However, I do not expect that the PR cards will be back with us in time for our return from the UK (Oct 9th to 22nd in England). We meet all eligibility on days in Canada over 5 yeas etc.

My wife is paranoid about being allowed back into Canada without having the physical PR card in hand as we have settled here with house, jobs, grown up boys will still be in Canada etc

I've seen that we can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD) when we are in England. Is this the best way to make this happen
- fly back to England (with all documentation associated with the vaccinations etc)
- apply for PRTD
- fly back to Canada.

Is the PRTD a simple and quick application? When would we apply for that in England?

Many thanks in advance so I can put my wifes mind at rest.

Old Aug 26th 2021, 6:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card renewal and trip to UK when in process

Definitely won't be back in time if you only applied in early July.

But yes, that's fine, and you've got the process right. I'd get everything ready to apply as soon as you arrive in the UK as you don't have a lot of time, and although PRTD's can be processed really quickly, I wouldn't risk leaving it any longer personally.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 7:02 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Definitely won't be back in time if you only applied in early July.

But yes, that's fine, and you've got the process right. I'd get everything ready to apply as soon as you arrive in the UK as you don't have a lot of time, and although PRTD's can be processed really quickly, I wouldn't risk leaving it any longer personally.
That is my main concern is that according to the application for the PRTD passports need to be sent in to attach the PRTD to them - if they aren't back in time for our departure.

How high is the risk if we travel with our current PR's and getting turned around at the UK airport? Can we just go through the 'usual' visitor lines to get back into Canada?

Old Aug 26th 2021, 7:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
That is my main concern is that according to the application for the PRTD passports need to be sent in to attach the PRTD to them - if they aren't back in time for our departure.

How high is the risk if we travel with our current PR's and getting turned around at the UK airport? Can we just go through the 'usual' visitor lines to get back into Canada?
You won't be able/allowed to travel back to Canada on expired PR cards..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...residents.html
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

Ensure you have all the documentary evidence required for your PRTD's and submit the application the day you arrive in the UK.. reports have said the processing time has been quite fast from the VAC: https://visa.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/can

With covid though, who knows what might happen in October. .
nb: Don't forget they will only deliver PR cards to a Canadian address so even if they did arrive before your flight back they wouldn't be any use to you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 26th 2021 at 8:09 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 7:58 pm
I said what ?!

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You won't be able/allowed to travel back to Canada on expired PR cards..
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...residents.html
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

Ensure you have all the documentary evidence required for your PRTD's and submit the application the day you arrive in the UK.. reports have said the processing time has been quite fast from the VAC: https://visa.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/can

With covid though, who knows what might happen in October. Hopefully by the time you travel they will accept vaccine certificates from Canada and you won't have to quarantine in the UK..
hasn't canada been added to the UK green list from Monday so no quarantine needed for fully vaccinated.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 8:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
hasn't canada been added to the UK green list from Monday so no quarantine needed for fully vaccinated.
Who knows if that will still apply in October - Fully vaccinated.... may depend on if they are accepting the vaccine status from Canada or not then..
Old Aug 26th 2021, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Who knows if that will still apply in October - Fully vaccinated.... may depend on if they are accepting the vaccine status from Canada or not then..
They are now, as Canada is a 'green' country, so vaccines from any country are acceptable. But as you say, who knows by then, it may be back on the amber list………...